Sign in to follow this  
JonestownByNight

Vampire the Masquerade Redemption

To those of you who have played Redemption:

1)It is my understanding that the game takes place, at least in part, in the middle ages. Is this true?

2)If you follow VtM canon, how well does this game follow it? I know bloodlines is sort of a prolouge to the Gehenna novel. How does Redemption fit into the whole metaplot?

3)Would this story make for a good century spaning Chronicle for multiple characters?

Thank you.

Donor

The gameplay for the first half of Redemption is set in Prague at about 1197 or so. Your character, Christof, is a crusader knight who, after investigating rumors of vampires plaguing the city, is embraced into clan Brujah and drawn into the delicate web of Long Night politics as sort of an agent provocateur. For my gaming dollar this is the best part of the game: the second half, set in the modern nights, was I suspect finished hurriedly and on the cheap. For a better electronic representation of Vampire the Masquerade in the modern nights, check out Bloodlines .

Redemption gives a few nods to the metaplot, but keep in mind that during its three years of development the VtM and Vampire the Dark Ages product lines were undergoing changes that the game designers couldn't put into the game. The result is that by the time Redemption hit store shelves, it wasn't able to keep up with the canonical information in the TT game books. There are nods to Vampire the Dark Ages continuity, however, specifically some information found in The Transylvania Chronicles.

In my opinion, the story makes an exellent starting point for a centuries-spanning chronicle for multiple characters. There's an enormous gap in the chronicle timeline -- almost 900 years -- between the point where the medieval part ends and the modern part begins, so if you intend to base a chronicle on this story you'll probably want to either fill in that gap with original plotline or plan for your characters to spend rather a long time in Torpor. wink2.gif

Other thoughts from those who have played Redemption?

~Macbeth

Donor

I really liked the first part of Redemption, it really drew me into the World of Darkness (and is one of the leading factors for me playing these games). It was just full of such wonder and I must have played through the cappadocian monestary half a dozen times.

There's not thing really worthwhile for a Vampire chronicle, though. The game's story revolves around the personal struggle of a neonate Vampire and his mortal love. I think a more compelling story could be made with the secondary characters after Christof sinks into torpor.

Donor

Lots of nods to WOD and even the odd joke here and there. While it is endertaining to us wod fanatics, it fails to stand by itself. The story telling is good but the story arc is weak. the fact that every dialog option is always open to the player, breakes the attempt made to make Christof develop as a character. Dialog only influences you'r humanitas which affects the ending sequences but little more...

Gameplay wise its a game that is hard to learn but easy to master. You might find the first hours of gameplay a turture, and the last hours a walk in the park.

In essence its a weak game, its RPG title is just a masquerade. The first time I played (before encountering Vampire) it was one of the worst game I ever played. The second time (after Vampire) I could not stop laughing when Wilhelm delivered the "God may not help thee" line.

Just my two cents

Donor

I thought it was a good introduction to the World of Darkness, without going into all the details the books eventually revealed. However, once you know how the WoD works, it falls a bit short.

Gameplay wise, it was simple (point'n'click'n'hold until it dies) but it could get interesting when you knew when to use what (i.e.Disciplines). Good graphics for the time and a pretty well told story.

Plus the fact that it was easy to mod helped extend it's life a bit. I'm still trying to see if there are people willing to bring back the WoD Mod to life.

As for fitting within the metaplot, I remember going through the revised edition of Clanbook: Brujah and seeing a mention of Christoph Romuald. They kept hazy about his recent whereabouts, but it gives you an idea into what would be the true ending to the game.

Donor

I'm finding that there are usually links from WW literature to the games. As far as some mods to both Redemption and Bloodlines go, I have some and will look for links to what might still be there to some of the mod makers. Maybe they can be enticed to join and help out? Going to be busy with umpiring clinics and such the next few days, but I WILL get to it.

I liked it, kinda.. i thought the tremere were cheesy.. the capadocian was awsome, and so was the settite, and getting attacked by a werewolf outside the tower of london, i liked the parts after he got embraced better.. and devnal.. devnal is awsome.

Donor
As far as some mods to both Redemption and Bloodlines go, I have some and will look for links to what might still be there to some of the mod makers. Maybe they can be enticed to join and help out? Going to be busy with umpiring clinics and such the next few days, but I WILL get to it.

There were mods for Bloodlines? 'Cause I thought there wasn't any support for that.

Donor

Funny I never heard of 'em. 'Cause I would've learned everything there is to have the game modded to play Demon.

Donor
There were mods for Bloodlines?  'Cause I thought there wasn't any support for that.

Basically just skins. But some were clan packs so you could play as Lasombra for instance and some others.

Donor
I'm not really sure why I'm here, but I think Agatana wanted me to link you to my mod site, so if any of you wanted mods for either V:TMB or V:TMR, just come to Paine's Site or http://paine.planetvampire.gamespy.com/index.phphappy.gif

So there is the the best source I know of for Mods, Patches, Skins, etc. for the games. Wanted to make it easy for everyone to get them while making sure the creators received proper credit for their work. I will check the list at his site against what I have any if any are missing from there I will give to him for listing. I got a lot from his previous site and others(e.g. Vampire Heaven, Shodan's place, etc.) don't know if he got them all back. Enjoy as much as I have the products of creativity out there as well as here at this site. Thank you everyone for a great gaming experience.

Donor
So there is the the best source I know of for Mods, Patches, Skins, etc. for the games. Wanted to make it easy for everyone to get them while making sure the creators received proper credit for their work. I will check the list at his site against what I have any if any are missing from there I will give to him for listing. I got a lot from his previous site and others(e.g. Vampire Heaven, Shodan's place, etc.) don't know if he got them all back. Enjoy as much as I have the products of creativity out there as well as here at this site. Thank you everyone for a great gaming experience.

Just to bring up the actual link L_H

http://paine.planetvampire.gamespy.com/index.php

Guest Jeebers

If anyone wants, I have some game tips for playing Redemption. If you want more, you can ask me anything you like, just send a message.

Always have one Walk the Abyss scroll on the group except when heading for Luther Black's pad (can't use it then).

For starters, don't spend any xp until AFTER Christof is a vampire, then blow them all on Healing. Max that out first! It's crucial to battle survival, and makes healing a LOT less expensive. This should be done first thing with every character, with the lone exception of Auspex 3 (1 dot) to identify magic items for Serena and Lily.

After that, get your Potence and Celerity to 2 each. You won't be using them until the Golem as they aren't crucial, but they are useful to have in an emergency. If in a crunch, it's preferable to use Potence since it lasts longer and is less expensive in blood than Celerity.

Next, up your Strength to 55. This is for all characters in the Dark Ages including the ones who don't do melee combat, since this allows them to use Field Plate. After you do this for Christof and Serena, save ALL your xp for maxing out Fortitude as soon as it appears. Tremere and the rest like to toss Aggravated damage like it was nothing, particularly scary is the bolts of lightning in the Haus de Hexe.

For the two Brujah, Wilhem and Christof, you want to up your Wits at the same rate as your Physical stats. This prevents frenzy in a fight, and is incredibly useful against the Tzimisce and Nosferatu because they induce Frenzy like it was going out of style. Me, I like to max out the Brujah's Physical stats for melee fighting, as Potence and Celerity work great for this, but I don't do it until I get to later in the game. If you find that you don't have the oomph after you have maxed out Fortitude and gotten your Strength to 55 for Christof, max out Potence but not Celerity. Celerity is too darned expensive until you get the Discipline Amulet.

As for the items list you want to buy, save your money! First thing, buy a pair of Rings of Manipulation from the gypsy. This reduces prices of items, and increases how much gold you get for selling old items. The best character to give them to is Erik( once you get him and your choice until then), since he has a higher Manipulation score to start out with. Save up to 4 sets of armor and weapons, replacing them as you get better gear for free. This means that you will end up instantly having gear for new characters like Serena and Erik. You don't want them going into battle sans protection!

Buy a Exquisite bastard sword for Christof, but only later on once you have bought the other weapons (the bonus to hit is more useful than higher damage ratings). This is because you will be giving him a 2 handed sword that sucks blood sometimes once you get up to the Teutonic Knights. Buy an Exquisite Broadsword for Serena, because it has the overall best numbers (speed, bonus to hit which is needed for her low stats, and a decent damage plus is one handed). Later on you will be giving her the werewolf fang, which lets her do aggravated damage like Wilhem and Erik's claws and Christof's sword. Finally, get a pair of Dread Broadswords. These you can keep, along with all the other enchanted items, once you encounter Vysherad castle's fall if they are placed on Christof's person.

Save the Chest Plate for staking protection that you get in Luther Black's pad for that time with your GF in the Castle, since as soon as you wake up you will be attacked by lots of hunters with stakes.

All 4 of the Dark Ages characters need the following:

Neck Guard

Full Helm

Heavy Gauntlet

Field Plate (really expensive so get this last)

3 Insulated (fire) Great Shields, remember Christof has his hands full

Always give Christof the best armor since he will not be using a shield, once you get the Exquisite Bastard Sword and Ainkurn Sword.

It's really hard to get Insulated Full Helms or Insulated Heavy Gauntlets, but if you ever see one drop everything and buy it. Even the Insulated Light Helm (fire) is better than the helmets in the modern day, so you should probably get 4 of them once you have all your DA characters kitted up. Don't bother with the lesser enchanted gauntlets.

Buy each character a Discipline Amulet, and 2 Blood Bracelets. The Brujah should get a pair of Rings of Serenity to counter Tzimisce Animalism, while the rest can get Blood Rings.

Don't EVER have Christof feed in combat or on a human, because you don't want to waste xp on Feed. Use one of the other characters to do it that have a higher rank in it and lots of soak pool. First use Wilhem to feed on the Cappadocians and use Feed to transfer Christof's blood debt to Wilhem, then switch to Serena since she has Fortitude. Once you get Erik, use him instead since he has Feed 3 and Fortitude. If you don't want to kill a human donor, feed only until they get down to 1/4 of their blood supply. This strategy is crucial to surviving the Tremere and should be practiced often.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this