Mortekai

How rare are the old books now?

Pius

I have a pile of old books stacked up in drawers and I am considering if I should sell a few of them...not sure if it's worth it though if they are still being sold?

Donor

I have quite a few Masquerade and Apocalypse books myself but find it more and more difficult to find others I don't have. Then I wonder if it would be useful for anything other than nostalgia and/or pride in having as complete a library as possible of those two old venues, which I still like better than the new. I personally never entertain the thought of letting go of ANY book in my possession. I have many bookshelves stuffed to overflowing and boxes full of many genres of literature and text books and diy and lots more. Books are the only thing I truly hoard.

Pius

I am setting up the classifieds so you can add wanted ads as well if there are books you are looking for to complete your collection. I feel a bit the same, but at the same time they take up a lot of space and I feel that maybe there are others out there that have better use of my books since I do not play anymore.

Curator

If there are people who collect old WW books, the cutoff point has got to be about the time that Onyx Path went POD with DriveThruRPG. That'd be just about 2011, the year V20 came out.

Any old original WoD books, and any ChoD books released before 2011, were printed by Onyx Path - or by White Wolf via their printers, which means that they were effectively limited print runs, as compared to modern POD. Any Black Dog books and Arthaus books published and printed up before the Time of Judgment, also, would be comparatively valuable. Original books, also, with glitches and lots of Page XX would be welcomed, such as the Chronicles of Darkness Antagonists book with the "bloomer zombies."

Maybe the rarities and, ironically, some of the books that people would turn their noses up at these days if they were released in their older form - such as World of Darkness: Gypsies, Destiny's Price, World of Darkness: Mafia - would sell a bit more, if only because so few of those books ever sold.

I'd have to go and look up the ratings, but if you have a first print run Vampire: the Requiem which had some of the blood of the WW staffers mixed in with the ink, hold on to that.

Pius

got all of those books :)

Curator

I ended up having to sell all of mine. What I found is, everything prior to PoD is super rare pretty much, except maybe some revised core books. Unfortunately, demand is almost nonexistent so it's next to impossible to even find someone willing to pay anything for them. I lay the blame for this squarely on the shoulders of the collapse of game stores across the US, and especially on CCP's mishandling of White Wolf as a company. If I had a house and stable living situation/income, I would've never gotten rid of them for anything, I felt the same as Agatana in that respect. However, I've had the most chaotic and unstable set of circumstances of anyone I've met and so it became more of a liability to safeguard the books from harm than it was worth, especially when I ended up needing the money to not be on the streets and also, there's no playerbase that I know of left anymore. All anyone wants to play is frickin D&D or Pathfinder it seems.

Pius
5 hours ago, zeroninja said:

I ended up having to sell all of mine. What I found is, everything prior to PoD is super rare pretty much, except maybe some revised core books. Unfortunately, demand is almost nonexistent so it's next to impossible to even find someone willing to pay anything for them. I lay the blame for this squarely on the shoulders of the collapse of game stores across the US, and especially on CCP's mishandling of White Wolf as a company. If I had a house and stable living situation/income, I would've never gotten rid of them for anything, I felt the same as Agatana in that respect. However, I've had the most chaotic and unstable set of circumstances of anyone I've met and so it became more of a liability to safeguard the books from harm than it was worth, especially when I ended up needing the money to not be on the streets and also, there's no playerbase that I know of left anymore. All anyone wants to play is frickin D&D or Pathfinder it seems.

I have a very hard time finding WW books in any store around these parts so I know what you mean.

Sorry to hear about your financial situation, I hope it's more stable now?

For me finance is not an issue as I have a stable financial situation, but I do not really have room for the books and since I do not play anymore it feels silly not to let others enjoy them. It's why they were created after all, not to collect dust in an old shelf.

Still...there are a lot of memories attached to them, so I am not sure if I want to get rid of them.

Curator
3 hours ago, Mortekai said:

I have a very hard time finding WW books in any store around these parts so I know what you mean.

Sorry to hear about your financial situation, I hope it's more stable now?

For me finance is not an issue as I have a stable financial situation, but I do not really have room for the books and since I do not play anymore it feels silly not to let others enjoy them. It's why they were created after all, not to collect dust in an old shelf.

Still...there are a lot of memories attached to them, so I am not sure if I want to get rid of them.

It's a bit better in terms of now I'm receiving my ss benefits again, but i am still just holding on by my fingernails, in the second of two LA Hostels which barely deserves the name. And now I find out yesterday that this one is being shut down due to not being rented as a hostel from the owners but as only a residence. So now I'll have to relocate again monday. At least I'm getting A's in my classes.

Donor

Sad\glad to hear of your situation zeroninja. At my age I keep reminding myself that everyday I wake up is a great day, at least I know I still have options. And my best friend for 47 years, wife for 44 yrs, is still making this trip with me.

And, it will be up to our kids, all 40+ now, to decide the fate of all my books, including 1st edition paperbacks of all my Edgar Rice Burroughs novels among my now 6 very large bookshelves. How bad I am about my books is: I loaned a few to a brother to read and when he finished them he gave them away to others to enjoy( what he chooses to do with books he reads). I no longer loan him any of my books.  

I'm still working on my collection, but I'm getting closer to completion.

Procurator

I used to be able to find them cheap where I used to live. My FLGS is going out of business soon though. *sigh*

Pius
On 2018-03-01 at 12:13 AM, joe said:

I'm still working on my collection, but I'm getting closer to completion.

Feel free to add a wanted ad in the classifieds :)