Libra

New Era, New Stories

Curator

It feels as if we're entering a new era for Onyx Path. Both universes are getting rebooted with fresh new perspectives. The Chronicles of Darkness have expanded into historical eras to allow for crossover play between those eras - and Dark Eras 2 promises historical eras which feature crossovers between supernatural types.

And soon, there will be a new Master Chronicle, the Contagion Chronicle, which brings all of the supernatural types together in what could become the first Tier Four Chronicle. It sounds as if something is going wrong with the God-Machine, sand in the gears, and no supernatural type can escape its failing escapements.

And as if that wasn't enough, yesterday saw a major announcement. Mark Rein*Hagen is back, steering Vampire: the Masquerade v 5 for the old World of Darkness.

So on the old WoD side, we have reboots of the old games - Vampire: the Masquerade, Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Mage: the Ascension, Wraith: the Oblivion, Changeling: the Dreaming. Sadly, I don't think Hunter: the Reckoning is going to make a comeback, though, by the sounds of it. Nor Mummy.

And in the other universe, all the game lines from Vampire: the Masquerade up to Hunter: the Vigil and Geist: the Sin-Eaters are getting Second Editions to bring them into line with the new Chronicles of Darkness rulebook and game mechanics. The three newer games - Demon: the Descent, Beast: the Primordial and the forthcoming Deviant: the Renegades, have already been written up with the GMC mechanics.

So, six years on from the release of V20, and thirteen years on from the Time of Judgment, we're in the position where new books are coming out, with new authors and artists, and where there's even a new Community Content initiative being opened for the WoD through DTRPG and a new World of Darkness MMORPG in the making which sounds like it has every chance of coming to pass.

We've come some way from the dark days of 2003-2004, when it looked as if time was up for the old White Wolf.

Oh, and one more thing. The old WW pawprint logo? They've brought that back, too.

Donor

Well, according to the White Wolf seminar at GenCon yesterday, Hunters (imbued and otherwise) are definitely coming back as part of The New Inquisition. You can hear my recording of the panel here. Darker Days Radio reports live from GenCon!

All of this is very exicting of course but I won't jump up and down and scream on the hype before it comes into safe harbor. The part with Haigen was a kind of a shock for me though. I hope he gets some quality stuff out although if truth be told Justin Achille (or however it was spellt) was my favorite Vampire developer.