Mortekai

So where do we stand now?

Pius

So, the site over at white wolf is very limited to say the least, so where do we stand with the World of Darkness?

Is it all dead or is there still hope that it will keep on going for another 10 years or so?

Procurator

Things right now with White Wolf are being reworked, or so its been said.. I have not truly seen any sort of change since the new site went into effect. I adventured on to Discord to see what was up there within the WoD setting, and there appears to be some good attention. I've started pushing with my Las Vegas setting again and attracted a couple of players through Discord. I'm more focused on the 20th Anniversary Edition for my game setting, but the Chronicles of Darkness seem to have a interest on Discord as well. But none the yes, @Mortekai.. I think bringing SnE back and focusing on both the old and new focus direction in which White Wolf is going. That is just my thoughts, I will advertise as much as I can for SnE. I already have it listed on my Vegas site, and if I can get a forum feed setup on my Discord server.. it will promote SnE that way as well. In other words, I will do everything I can to assist with SnE and bringing it back.

Donor

Speaking of Discord, that seems to be where a lot of the buzz is these days. I've joined a couple Discord channels but don't do much with it, personally. Still, might there be some good in a Shadownessence Discord channel?

Procurator

I am all for a SnE Discord channel, and I'd be willing to move my Vegas setting to it if there was enough interest. I can setup a server for SnE if @Mortekai would like, or I will leave it for him to handle. :mellow:

Donor

The next version of Vampire is in production and an alpha was released to the playerbase recently,so yes,it seems like it is still going strong :)

Donor

White Wolf will also be writing a new edition of Werewolf: the Apocalpyse, to go along with the Werewolf video game being developed by Cyanide: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

Well, its a bit complicated.

CCP used to own all White Wolf properties. Many writers became displeased with how was working and instead made their own company, Onyx Path Publishing. Some White Wolf licenses where transferred to them the others continued to be produced by OPP under license, both world of darkness are among these and OP continued to make products for both old/classic world of darkness (in the form of the 20th anniversary editions.) and New world of darkness. Then in 2015 Paradox Entertainment bought the White Wolf brand along with is properties from CCP, they then resurrected the White Wolf brand as an actual sub company to PE. As for their plans they seem to have a non exclusive view to them, that is OP will continue to produce New World of Darkness (re branded into Chronicles of Darkness to lower confusion and mix-ups.) as well as 20th anniversary edition although they are open to other entities also making PnP rpg material.

The new White Wolf are making the new 5th edition of classic world of darkness. This is under development and seems to contain large changes and updates unlike the more legacy minded 20th anniversary edition. There are also several licensed video games under development (not really surprising after Paradox got their hand on the brand.), but very little is known of those so far (which considering how little time there have been is not surprising.). There have also been some talk into turning CWOD into a multimedia expanded universe bonanza, but well, that is easier said then done.

So all in all things are very interesting. More PnP products for NWOD. More classic feeling products for CWOD with 20th anniversary continuing. A new spin on CWOD with a properly new edition (woho! more edition wars ahoy!) and coming video games. Of course the jury is still out on V5 and the video games as they have not released yet.

Edited by Palpy Palp

Procurator

We use Discord to talk and offgame rp. Fun. ^^

Curator

From what I can tell, the authors who are still active are jazzed about the things they are releasing - and there are a lot of releases.

For the Chronicles of Darkness, two new lines have appeared since Demon: the Descent and its flurry of supplements - Beast: the Primordial, which is now a thing; and the forthcoming Deviant: the Renegades, of which I know nothing, but which will doubtless appear at GenCon. Changeling: the Lost Second Edition is coming soon, presumably released at GenCon as well. And they've released Thousand Years of Night and Secrets of the Covenants for Vampire: the Requiem, with Half-Damned presumably coming out at Gencon, too, if I recalled the title correctly.

They've also opened up a new game line, Dark Eras, which expands into historical storytelling. A good supplement to go with Requiem for Rome, Fall of the Camarilla and Victorian Lost, among other things. With Dark Eras, Dark Eras Companion and soon Dark Eras 2, that line seems to be pretty strong so far, and it's delving into historical eras not seen before in any WoD supplement.

The old streams are also going strong. Mage 20th is powering along under Phil Brucato, whose latest supplement is The Book of Secrets. He's got Book of The Fallen and the Mage Recipe Book coming out.

But the one big title everybody wants to see is Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition. Playtesting of that game has been enthusiastic and energetic, and they've managed to bring horror into it. One playtester described to me that they used a new Kithain option called Unleashing, which sounds amazing, yet is utterly foolhardy and risky as hell. And Bedlam rules now work a lot better than they once did.

So I'd say that we need this place to get active once again. The world has changed. Technology has changed. Book publishing has changed. Gaming has changed. And we are needed as a forum to discuss how the World of Darkness and Chronicles of Darkness have changed with it.

Totally with Libra on this. The 20th anniversary editions of our classic WoD games have brought a lot of old players and new to the table, and this feels like an ideal time for Shadownessence to rise again as a gathering place for all of us.

I will say, though, Paradox's plans for White Wolf concern me. I'm all for new editions, but the controversy earlier this year has me concerned about the people who are working on the new 5th editions. Is it possible to be too edgy given today's social and political environment? I guess we'll see. Also concerned about what I've heard of them continuing under the idea that the Time of Judgment "game ender" books happened and that the new editions happen post-Gehenna/Apocalypse/Ascension. What would that even look like without turning the games into pure dystopian post-armageddon settings that look nothing like the dark reflection of our own world that the World of Darkness is supposed to look like?

In the meantime, Onyx Path Publishing is killing it with their books. Mage 20 is a joy to run, and I look forward to getting to play the new Changeling 20. Long live OPP!

Would love to see a Discord server for SnE! I used to be super active here under another sn. I helped mod the CtL group for a while. I'd love to see SnE get back to its old glory days, and offer any support i can!

Curator

I think we need to get the Changeling: the Dreaming forum going, because C20 is coming, and we need to get the forum to be the place to bring together Changeling fans. We need to start promoting Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary, and the best places to do that are on any groups or pages on Facebook and G+ that cater for those games.

We can also start spreading the news about SnE in some of the other groups. I'm a member of the Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary group, and so I'll start bringing up the resurgence of SnE there.

Edited by Libra

Yeah. Agreed in that it's good that we got this place back.
Especially as there seems to be a new resurgence in WW lines, even in other media.

In regards to NuWW?
I know quite a few of the people involved in the company, so I'm not anywhere near objective. But they're dedicated to doing good work, although a lot of their ideas are not all that compatible with the current outrage culture that is pretty prevalent these days. Also. They made some HORRIBLE mistakes, but as far as I can see, they're trying to avoid falling into more pittraps.

I'm here, although there's some lack of new activity, but I think that with some advertising and some use more activity here we may well get something going on. We're probably not going to reach the stars but he may climb up a tree.

In regards to the new White Wolf I won't cry and bitch untill I see what they release and then I fancy myself pretty open to change and innovation so it will be interesting what setting they will put on the table. At the end of it, I don't think that we'll be playing in a setting all to different from the previous editions. The core of the game will almost certainly be the same with only the meta advanced. And to be honest, I would love to see WoD thrive and rise higher rather than having a fading presence. The new White Wolf has potential to reinvigorate the game and setting and perhaps spread it to new media and more peope, so I hope they'll pull it off.

Edited by Gurkhal2
Added some stuff

Procurator

I hope the newer PoD stuff and everthing else eventually get to local FLGS's. Not everyone has the internet. :(

Curator

Curator

I would like to see the latest game, Deviant: the Renegades, take its place in the roster of monsters. According to the blurb, the Remade are going to be the rough equal of hunters at Tier One, making them almost the weakest of the monsters.

Think of Brundlefly, Dark Angel, Roswell, Scanners, Universal Soldier, and all those Eighties buddy cop shows where the partner is something strange. Hells, even Robocop.

Accordingly, I've submitted proposals to redo the forum descriptors, and to update the fora for the newer monsters - the Beasts, and the forthcoming Deviants.