Sign in to follow this  
Wred

When a Wolf Plays Detective

OK before I mention anything let me just mention how great it is to finally be back here again. It is so nice to have the forums up and running again. ^^

Anyway I recently started up a new campaign with some college friends over skype. We're having a great tiem for the most part but I have hit a small snag that I could use some advice on.

The game I have set up has the pack in Las Vegas trying to figure out the mystery behind a strange fetish bound to the neck of an up and coming lounge singer. [i think that is an oximoron?] Its a rather elaborate mystery with several factions all with their own vieled motives for employing this woman. Now obviously trying to figure out thsi mystery would involve some investigation and fact gathering from the party. Buuut thats become a bit of an issue, because the players arn't really that good with mysteries. I would like them to try and roleplay out scenes and try to gather facts and evidence on their own but nothing I tell them seems to stick. msot of the time they keep forgetting previous clues that they would need to progress the story. Most of the tiem I end up having them roll for intelegence to remember the information that their characters should already know. Which doesn't really seem right for a mystery. I think they should be able to keep their own facts straight and try to solve things on their own without me having to spoon feed the answers to them.

What do you guys think? am I expecting to much of them?

Donor

I think it partially depends on how often you play. If you're playing every week, they should be able to remember what happened last week. if you're only playing once a month... that gets a bit dodgier. YOU know how it all goes together so can remember what fits with what. They don't, yet, so if they have nothing to attach the info to remember what's relevant. is what this character was wearing three weeks ago (real time) relevant info or not?

I have trouble remembering what I ate for lunch three days ago because its not relevant info. if they don't know what's relevant, they're likely to forget it by the next time you play.

If they've already unraveled part of the mystery like, they're now investigating McGuffin the Bone Gnawer, they should be able to remember next week that they were going to talk to McGuffin. So they should be able to remember big obvious details (who were we talking to?), but if they forgot details (McGuffin was wearing crocs and they just found footprints they want to compare it to), continue to let them roll to fill in the details of stuff that the players probably just forgot between session because its not just relevant yet.

Depending on how long the gap is between sessions, you may want to do a quick minicap at the start of session: "previously on Werewolf Detective..."

Since you're using Skype I THINK you can also save and/or export the attached chat log. (I use SKype once every doomsday) Just make sure to actually TYPE the relevant info into log so they don't have to listen to rambling skype dialog. Then just email everybody the chat log from last session day before next one so they can do quick read over pertinent details and refresh their memory. it's still going to be a bit disjointed, but it requires very little work that way.

Well we usually play once a week. But its not so much them forgetting things between session as it is them forgetting things that I told them less than a scene ago.

Also I should clarify that we voice chat on Skype. One of the players is dyslexic so he can not carry a game through chat.

I was thinking that maybe I could ask them to bring a notepad and have them all write down notes that they think is important during the session. and then they could all pull together and swap info and clues that way. But I wonder if doing that might side track things to much. specially if none of them catch the important stuff or concentrate to much on red herrings.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this