Joslyn

What can a mage offer a vampire?

copy pasted from my question the the whitewolf foums) hoping to get a bunch of ideas..heres hoping

Its come up in game and i'm to lazy to explain the story thus far and how it got to this.

So my character is about to get her self tangled up with the vampires She wants to work with them, and maybe one day be a god to them. (oh did I mention she's not very sane at this point in the game and being shadowed by some dark spirit that is influencing her without her knowledge? yeah. its complicated.)

Arcana wise I have:
Death 4
Mind 4
Life 1

limited monetary resources, acssess to police(via her job as homicide detective..though honestly a vampire probably has little problems with this kind of stuff.)

Wisdom is 3( I point this out so we can lay a baseline of what a. she will not do, and b.what she can do)
(I can post my whole sheet if skills are needed to help in ideas..but i will only do that at request)

As far as allies in the mage community...She has none, well at least none she is willing to go to at this point she honestly believes that the mages in the city are out to get her and show her no respect, and thus doesnt trust any of them, even the ones she once considered friends(derangements...oh how fun.) I'm not complaining it makes for an interesting game.

However none of the ideas have to be lasting as this is a solo game(1 player, 1 st.) and we have discussed out of game what story we wish to work out, this will lead to a path to redemption(aka gaining back the lost wisdom, but we dont consider XP to be enough, the character has to actually work to gain it back)and of course dealing with the consequences of what she has done. I have a small say in what i'd like to see in the story but st still has majority(the vampire thing was his idea based on previous things my character did and it fit the game)

However its on me to come up with how i plan to get a foothold in with the vamps, and i honestly dont even know where to begin. Any ideas would be great

Curator

Vampire society is as diverse as mage society, with one important difference - vampires are practically immortal.

Beyond feeding from humans and, as their Blood Potency increases, lesser vampires, the Kindred don't need much from breathers. They have access to their own powers and abilities - Disciplines, Devotions, Cruac, the Coils, Theban Sorcery and (from Blood Sorcery) Threnodies. And their powers and abilities do not incur Paradox, the way Awakened vulgar magic does.

So, then, what can vampires do for the mage?

- They can provide a Paradox-free service to the mage, such as probing a human's mind for information relevant to the mage, or turning a politician to the mages' cause with Dominate, thus keeping the mages' hands clean.

- The vampire could provide some information relevant to the mages' cause from their extensive archives.

- They could keep an eye out on activities of the mages' enemies. If the mages aren't looking for an Obfuscated Nosferatu, they probably won't be prepared for their disturbingly intimate brand of surveillance.

And what price do the vampires expect in return?

Nothing.

The mage might wonder when the vampires will call to collect on their debts, but literally years might come to pass before the vampire comes along to call the favour due. Decades, even.

As long as it takes for the mage to build up her status and power to a really high level, that is. If she becomes a mover and shaker in mage society, the vampire might drop in, sensing that the mage has reached the peak of her power. The mage might be mature, aged even - but the vampire won't have aged a day since she made the deal.

It is at this point that the vampire will claim her payment for the "minor" favour. And whatever the price, the toll it takes from the mage will be heavy.

Say, the vampire lends the mage a scroll containing some interesting information about an encounter between the vampire's Sire and the mage's Mentor. Much later, the vampire might demand access to a knife or object that belongs to someone close to the mage. The mage will have to steal it from the owner, which theft will sour their relationship forever.

Or the vampire might need information in a book currently being held in storage by The Mysterium or the Guardians of the Veil; this requires that the mage breaks in to their stronghold.

However the mage intends to repay the vampire, the end result is always a souring of relationships.

But that's the price one pays for dealing with monsters.

Playing up your connections with the police may get you noticed. If a young whelp loses control or a pack of roving sabbat come in and take a lead pipe to some cattle's head you can lay the blame elsewhere, plant/remove evidence, or attempt to make the case go stale. Murder isn't uncommon in the less savory part of the city. Many criminals don't get caught and it's not like your department has adequate funding to figure out who erased another unwanted.

Keep in mind that you will probably come out on the bottom of this situation - but that's half the fun. Most kindred will just see you as another kine to be exploited to meet their own ends - at best a useful one, at worst a dangerous one.

Curator

If a young whelp loses control or a pack of roving sabbat come in and take a lead pipe to some cattle's head you can lay the blame elsewhere, plant/remove evidence, or attempt to make the case go stale. Murder isn't uncommon in the less savory part of the city. Many criminals don't get caught and it's not like your department has adequate funding to figure out who erased another unwanted.

Keep in mind that you will probably come out on the bottom of this situation - but that's half the fun. Most kindred will just see you as another kine to be exploited to meet their own ends - at best a useful one, at worst a dangerous one.

There are no Sabbat in Mage: the Awakening, because there are no Sabbat in Vampire: the Requiem.

Kindred society has a minimum of five factions, called Covenants, which are roughly the same kind of thing as Orders:

- the Invictus, basically traditionalists and tories, the squares who own all the hunting grounds and hoard money and power, the Kindred version of the 1% (the ones the Silver Ladder would most likely deal with);

- the Carthians, young political turks who experiment with different kinds of political systems and who rebel against the stifling hand of the Invictus, who'd comprise the 99% of Kindred society, politically (and you'd see the Free Council want to deal with these Kindred for the most part);

and the three magical Covenants:-

- the Lancea Sanctum, a religious faction based on a heretical worship of Longinus, the corrupt Roman centurion whose spear murdered Christ as he hung from his cross;

- the Circle of the Crone, worshippers of a dark, primal, chthonic entity, an Earth Mother whose cults seek change, tribulation and creativity;

- and the Ordo Dracul, a faction which venerates Dracula himself (whether or not the Dracula of history actually exists in this setting).

The Kindred themselves fall into five Clans, roughly akin to Paths:-

- the Daeva, louche aesthetes and degenerates who cannot control their Vices;

- the Gangrel, monstrous shapeshifters who skirt dangerously close to their Beasts;

- the Mekhet, a Clan which emerged from Egypt's ancient desert sands, who carry darkness along with them like a reassuring cloak;

- the Nosferatu, a creepy Clan of sewer-dwellers and crypt-kickers who serve as muscle to the other Kindred;

- and the Ventrue, the Lords of the Night, who have General Zod complexes like you wouldn't believe.

The ones your mages would likely want to encounter for political wealth and power that they cannot obtain through Awakened magic alone would be the Invictus. If they want knowledge, they would approach the Lancea Sanctum (religious) or the Ordo Dracul (scientific); if they want force and terror, the Circle of the Crone.

The most approachable Clans would be:-

- the Mekhet for knowledge and covert surveillance - they possess a Discipline called Obfuscate which makes them vanish from sight, and another Discipline called Auspex which heightens their senses, enables them to read minds, sense auras and pick up memories from objects with a kind of psychometry, as well as project astrally into Twilight;

- the Nosferatu for brute force - they possess a Discipline called Nightmare, which turns fear into a powerful weapon;

- the Gangrel for social connections - they have a flaw in their Clan which stifles their Mental skill rolls based on Intelligence and Wits, but they are strong in the Social characteristics.

The Daeva would most likely use their Majesty Discipline to snare the mage and force her to fall in love with her, luring her into a web of degenerate hedonism and erasing from the mage's mind the original reason why she wanted to truck with vampires in the first place; and the Ventrue would, if they didn't like the mage's tone, use Dominate to do something similar, programming the mage with an unshakable Manchurian Candidate program that would turn her into a brainwashed sleeper agent in Awakened society, working for the Ventrue without her knowledge.

The closest thing in Requiem to the sabbat are prehaps Belials Brood? I dont know much about them however.

ANYWAYS.

Yeah i got mixed answers from white-wolfs fourms too..it seems at best it would be dangerous at worse dcause more of a headache then it is worth to keep up the charade.

We ended up scraping the plot idea in favor of something else, since after alot of thought, and a disscussion with my ST we decided that bringing the vampires into the game well would just be a friggen headache to deal with plot wise. (There was alot going on in the game already and we needed to tie a few things up and by the time it was done the vampires were not even a passing thought)

Curator

I don't blame you. :)