Gimli son of Gloin

Kindred society reaction to the first vampire films

Donor

In the World Of Darkness the release of Nosferatu in the 20s and Dracula in the 30s must have given the Kindred quite a shock. Both come a lot closer to what vampires are really like than even Bram Stoker's Dracula novel.
Nosferatu portrayed one of the clans and introduced the notion that sunlight is lethal to vampires. While Universal's Dracula film gave a more or less accurate portrayal of a number of disciplines and how the embrace works. This couldn't be a coincidence, this had to be a major Masquerade breach.

So lets speculate. Who would be behind such a breach and for what reasons? And how would Kindred society have reacted and dealt with it?

it must have had some backing by major players, else they would have been quashed.

although would the major players have been kindred? I doubt it!

Fear of the return of the inquisition would have been the elders main reaction I think, the ancilla would have been less fearful but try to see who got advantage from allowing it, neonates would be most likely to have seen it as an advantage (after all they are least like the characters portrayed)

Donor

The movie did almost get squached. All copies were supposed to be destroyed after Bram Stoker's widow won a lawsuit. In the WoD I see the Camarilla having a hand in that.

Donor

Personally I don't really see any need for any of the supernaturals to have been involved in the making of any of those vampire films. There is no reason why it couldn't just have come about as the result of regular humans being creative with some old legends, in order to make a good story/movie out of it.

Personally I don't really see any need for any of the supernaturals to have been involved in the making of any of those vampire films. There is no reason why it couldn't just have come about as the result of regular humans being creative with some old legends, in order to make a good story/movie out of it.

The only problem with that being that in WoD, it explicitly says that Dracula the novel was written because Vlad Tepes leaked a load of Tzimisce secrets to Stoker.

For Nosferatu, I can kind of see the point. Although if the clan is assumed to exist before the film and didn't change their name at all, you would have to ask why they came so close to a real clan's name not to have some form of insider information.

For the Cam's reaction, I'd imagine there would have been a conscious attempt to paint anyone taking the film seriously as a devotee of that sort of fiction, with some Toreador pulling the strings of a subculture scene to make sure they never get too close to the actual truth. I don't see it having any other lasting effect other than the Cam wanting to find out how the film-makers knew about the Nosferatu.

The Dracula films, pretty much the same thing as the book's already out, the damage has been done and the storm weathered. If you want to go a little further with it, perhaps the Hammer Horror films are a conscious attempt by the Cam to make the idea of vampires look ridiculous. And perhaps take the mickey out of the Ventrue/Tzimisce while doing so (Christopher Lee IS a bad Ventrue/Tzim crossbreed stereotype in those films).

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.