Curator

Back in the day, the Khaibit bloodline of the Mekhet was revealed in Bloodlines: the Hidden, along with their signature bloodline Discipline of Obtenebration. The differing abilities of this Discipline are:-

• Night Sight

•• Shadow Play

••• Shroud of Night

•••• Perambulam In Tenebris

••••• Shadow Form

These Discipline abilities were developed as a means to enable the Khaibit to hunt and fight the Strix, an enemy which is now returning to the World of Darkness. And with them, the basic ability spreads for all of the standard Disciplines are being changed.

With that in mind, what do you think could be done about the spread of abilities within Obtenebration? I welcome all suggestions.

I might add a few of my own later on, myself.

LogoKhaibit.png

Curator

I was never a fan of the original Discipline. While thematically sound, it didn't really offer any means to do what the Khaibit were supposed to do. It handled manipulation of and synergy with shadows elegantly but it offered next to no means to interact with the Ghosts, Spirits, and other entities. I recall more than a few attempts to address this lacking here on SnE and Obtenebration is probably one of the most house-ruled Disciplines I have run across.

Night Sight has always needed a lot of work, imo. Heightened Senses had a much greater scope and no cost while the only unique factor, the limited ability to see into Twilight, was only accessible under the condition of utter darkness. Functionally, that meant a Khaibit all-but HAD to have Shroud of Night to put the only real benefit of Night Sight to any reliable use.

The rest of the Discipline was fine, if a bit expensive to use. Excepting, of course, that it still didn't allow much utility in combating entities. To me, the Discipline should always have been a stronger connection between shadows and the Shadow.

Curator

I was never a fan of the original Discipline. While thematically sound, it didn't really offer any means to do what the Khaibit were supposed to do. It handled manipulation of and synergy with shadows elegantly but it offered next to no means to interact with the Ghosts, Spirits, and other entities. I recall more than a few attempts to address this lacking here on SnE and Obtenebration is probably one of the most house-ruled Disciplines I have run across.

Night Sight has always needed a lot of work, imo. Heightened Senses had a much greater scope and no cost while the only unique factor, the limited ability to see into Twilight, was only accessible under the condition of utter darkness. Functionally, that meant a Khaibit all-but HAD to have Shroud of Night to put the only real benefit of Night Sight to any reliable use.

The rest of the Discipline was fine, if a bit expensive to use. Excepting, of course, that it still didn't allow much utility in combating entities. To me, the Discipline should always have been a stronger connection between shadows and the Shadow.

Makes me wonder whether or not they could or would revise it in The Strix Chronicle. I can think of a few ways they could ...

Curator

I could also think of a few ideas for Obtenebration Threnodies and Devotions combining, say, Obtenebration with Vigor, Resilience, Nightmare, Protean ... Cruac, Theban Sorcery ...

And this is my 4500th post to this forum.

Edited by Libra