Libra

Requiem Devblog

Curator

Who's been following the Vampire: the Requiem development blog of late?

The penultimate thing they were working on was Blood Sorcery: Sacraments and Blasphemies, which I now have; and right now, they are working on their next major project, Blood and Smoke: The Strix Chronicle.

Requiem Devblog URL

Sacraments and Blasphemies

Vampire Senses, Heightened Senses Merit and Auspex

Animalism and Dominate

Majesty

Protean

Obfuscate

New Merits, Carthian Law and Invictus Blood Oath Merits

Predatory Aura - replaces Predators' Taint

Nightmare Discipline

Just like the God-Machine Chronicle document, The Strix Chronicle document promises a complete retooling of the basic mechanics of Vampire: the Requiem; not just new lists of things, but an evolution of the entire systems.

Who's been following the devblog? What do you think?

Edited by Libra
Added link to the Nightmare playtest document

Curator

As I brush off the dust and get my game back together (and poke my head in around here for the first time in years), I have to say that, for my part, these changes are very intriguing. Initially, taking some of the changes in parts quirks the ole eyebrow in "Why the fuck would you do that?" confusions... but as a whole things do very much seem to flow together better. I think Rose mentioned somewhere in one of those posts about trying to make the Disciplines more organic and I definitely see that in these progressions. I like it.

Question, though, the references to Conditions, Resolutions, and Beats are obviously some shift to new mechanics since I cracked open a book. Is that in the God-Machine stuff that I have yet to locate (and am about to go looking for in ernest)?

Curator

About those new things - yeah. Conditions affect the character; a character can be under the Condition of "Fatigued," "Enthralled," "Drugged" and so on; "Resolutions" are situations which allow the character to break the Conditions; and "Beats" apparently allow the character to defeat those Conditions.

That's from what I can glean from reading the devblog so far. I think there's also a World of Darkness devblog running about with playtest notes on revised rules on Extended Actions, and so on.

The God-Machine Chronicle and Blood and Smoke: the Strix Chronicle game supplements have yet to be released, and the Strix fiction Anthology is still being put together; but the God-Machine fiction anthology is already available through DrivethruRPG.

I ought to say that the God-Machine Chronicle will present major revisions of the Storytelling engine, including things like a complete overhaul of the Morality system which no longer relies on sins, but uses what are called "Thresholds" - something similar to "The Code" in the appendix of the Hunter: the Vigil core rulebook.

Needless to say, these are on the top of my wishlist, next to Mummy: the Curse.

Curator

I've just added the link to the Nightmare playtest document to the top post.

So far there are several things that I like:

1. The new disciplines. They empower you more and I like that. Now it is actually cool being able to use those powers.
  2. The new predator´s taint. Way better. Hated the old version. Very unpractical. I always ignored it.
  3. Haven´t seen them yet, but I will probably like the new write-ups for the clans and the covenants better. The old ones from the core weren´t that great.
  4. Last but not least, I will probably like the 12 new domains with each their own history a lot. Gives the setting some sense of world building and some backstory all in one package. It needed that. I get the idea behind the modular design new wod has. It allows the GM more options to have some more stake at the setting. But it could have more setting material that actually makes me wanna play the games.
  5. Looking forward to the new morality system too. The old one I hardly ever use. It makes you drop to humanity four for self defense and after that it´s pretty much impossible to drop further unless you set fire to a kindergarten for example.

So far, so good. My only complaint is that it is a little late. It´s about fucking time, I would say.