Sign in to follow this  
Gurkhal3

Clans of the Americas

So I'm writing up my own version of the CWoD and decided that I wanted to have more clans already present in the Americas when the Europeans arrived, the game will most likely be set in Mexico City, and was thinking a little about it.

The ideas I had would be to have the following ones already present in pre-Colombian America.

- Tlacique (a Clan in its own right here and very powerful in the urban civilizations of Mesoamerica and South America, and focused around local warrior ethos and worldy nobility)

- Gangrel (most active in undeveloped parts of the Americas, and thriving in North America)

- Cappadocians (swiftly exterminated after the European arrival, with possible remains of sleeping elders, but worked as the scholarly Clan in pre-Colombian times)

- Nosferatu (similar to the Gangrel but less widespread and probably living a bit like scavangers around greater urban centres)

- Toreador (rivals to the Tlacique for influence among the human cultures in Mesoamerica and South America, and kind of focused on being priests and artists)

Does this make sense? Or how would you do it? Another idea is to swap around the Tlacique and the Toreador and make the Tlacique the priest-Clan and the Toreador the warrior Clan. Or perhaps add the Nosferatu as the warrior Clan and make both Tlacique and Toreador priests-inclined? It feels like the oppertunities are endless. :D

Donor

Toreador would probably make more sense as warriors in this case since pre-Columbian americas did have an extensive system of roads and running paths. The ability to run long distance at terrifying speed would be AMAZINGLY useful for warriors in this setting. (there's a combo celerity power that lets you run at celerity for distance) and of course messengers running between places had to be able to defend themselves. So the one clan with celerity in this set up would probably get that role.

Donor

Yeah, I never got the idea of the Tlacique being a Settite offshoot. I gave them their own clan treatment, replacing Protean with their sorcery discipline, and replaceing their weakness with one that costs them an extra point of blood to rise each night.

Toreador would probably make more sense as warriors in this case since pre-Columbian americas did have an extensive system of roads and running paths. The ability to run long distance at terrifying speed would be AMAZINGLY useful for warriors in this setting. (there's a combo celerity power that lets you run at celerity for distance) and of course messengers running between places had to be able to defend themselves. So the one clan with celerity in this set up would probably get that role.

Good point about Celerity, although I did get the suggestion to use Assamites as a warrior clan in the setting and I think that I will run with it. But your point about Celerity very much stand and it was one of the reasons to why I decided to adopt the Assamites to have a native branch in the Americas, complete with three casts although the warriors will be the domaint one.

Yeah, I never got the idea of the Tlacique being a Settite offshoot. I gave them their own clan treatment, replacing Protean with their sorcery discipline, and replaceing their weakness with one that costs them an extra point of blood to rise each night.

Cheers! I'm happy to hear more than I ran with the idea. For my setting I gav them Celerity, Presence and Obfuscate as their in-Clan disciplines, although I haven't decided on a weakness. But after seeing your idea of an additional Blood Point to rise each night I think that I will run with it. It will tie in with the idea of them being fairly bloodthirsty and the whole idea of "blood feeding the gods".

Donor

"Cheers! I'm happy to hear more than I ran with the idea. For my setting I gav them Celerity, Presence and Obfuscate as their in-Clan disciplines, although I haven't decided on a weakness. But after seeing your idea of an additional Blood Point to rise each night I think that I will run with it. It will tie in with the idea of them being fairly bloodthirsty and the whole idea of "blood feeding the gods"."

Yeah, that was the reasoning I was going with. Great minds think alike!

I have similar ideas which I have been thinking that Native American (pre-Columbian) Kindred that instead of clans they have tribes/nations that as if everyone embraced in that "clan" are all kin or rather kinda like if you have a bunch of caitiff vampires United under a nation which they share common characteristics like certain disciplines that only that tribe specializes in which is apart to why they call themselves that and such.

For example

The Dead Coyotes

Twisted Ravens

The Blood Mothers

(Yes I'm taking inspirations from Fallout here)

The main idea here is that I'm trying to present something that is vastly different than what European Kindred have since Kindred have "Clans" which resemble Scottish like Clans and Royal Families (well actually for a long time I've been brainstorming a new Vampire game under scratch with this concept like the "Dracul" "Von Carnsteins" "Von Vilthem" "Giovanni" and such) they hold a concept of dominion whilst Pre-Columbian Vampires don't have such concepts which they're more egalitarian and they're all Caitiff united under nations which their knowledge is equally shared instead the whole "Clan Secrets" concept.  

Edited by Blood Lore

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this