Sign in to follow this  
JAnderson789

Wraith: The Arising Rulebook Draft now available on Scribd!

I was reading this thread about revising Wraith, when someone asked about a nWoD incarnation. Apparently no one was aware of Tremlett's remake of the game. For everyone's convenience, I've uploaded the last draft onto Scribd, plus the rules for Ossification I got through email and two character sheets by MrGone and Renfield.

Comments?

EDIT: I've also included this example character converted from the one in the Oblivion rulebook.

Curator

Sweet!! I'll have to dl it and check it out!!

Wraith: The Arising was written by a diehard Wraith fan, and it shows. In a basic sense, Arising's systems and premise are very similar to Oblivion's. However, they are also dramatically different.

Arising focuses on the day-to-day lives of ghosts coexisting with the living and protecting their Anchors, rather than trying to balance Oblivion's Quick and Stygia. The factions of Wraiths are the Concords, which are similar in role to Requiem's covenants. The Order is a benevolent theocracy that venerates Charun, the Believers cling to the religions they followed in life, the Pardoners defend against the depredations of the Shadow, the Freewraiths think everyone else is delusional, and the Haunters do their best impression of the Poltergeist films. No one likes the Haunters.

Passions and Fetters have been folded into Anchors, which provide THE main conflict of the game. A Wraith must protect her Anchors at all costs, as without them she will cease to exist. The Concords also value Anchors because of the unique Essence (Pathos) they produce, and come into conflict with one another trying to possess them and the ghosts who own them. Rather than gaining Essence through the emotions of the living, Wraiths gain Essence from their Anchors. Haunting the living can provide Essence, but this is a big gamble while the Essence produced by Anchors is easy to acquire. Wraiths can only make use of Essence that resonates with their Anchors, so the flavor of Essence plays a role in its value. Essence is, in fact, used as the basic currency of Wraith society.

The Arcanoi still exist, though they've been folded into a system of ten basic Arts, and a few dozen paths derived from them. For example, the Embody numen focuses not only on physical manifestation, but also on creating realistic phantasms like green slime running down the walls or the insane illusions seen in Poltergeist. Nearly all of Oblivion's Arcanoi can be found as such paths.

The systems for the Shadow have been streamlined and reorganized so that bookkeeping is kept to a minimum and actually running them is easier. Angst dots are now harder to acquire, requiring the Shadow to force the Wraith into a Harrowing (which is now a catatonic state as opposed to being dragged into hell). Target and Destruction Harrowings have been replaced with Dissolution, where the Shadow pits its Angst against the Wraith and tries to destroy an Anchor or Corpus dot. Rather than being informed by dark passions, a Shadow is driven completely by its Archetype, which also determines its Heart's Thorn (which determines when it can award Shadow Dice). Playing into the new rules, Shadow Archetypes are now exaggerations of the Wraith's Vice or Virtue.