Sign in to follow this  
Cassander

Communal haven ideas?

Does anyone have great ideas for Sabbat communal havens? Beyond the stereotypical "abandoned warehouse/building/factory" stereotypes?

I had an idea for a ship as a communal haven, crewed by the pack's ghouls, but I'm interested in hearing as many great ideas as possible.

They could rent a nice house somewhere.

The Ductus in my game right now has gotten (justifiably) paranoid about mortals/ghouls attacking during the day and is keen on sleeping underwater where they can't breath. He's suggested dumping a shipping container into the Bay, or carving out a small aquatic cave down there. The rest of his pack isn't enthusiastic about waking up sopping wet each night and having to stash their stuff elsewhere.

If they all learn enough Protean then anywhere can be home.

They could take an apartment near a college campus. People being loud and raucous all night will just be taken for students and ignored. They can get away with leaving their place in poor repair under the same excuse. The downside is that you can't piss in your backyard with this plan. Most campuses are insular enough communities that any incidence of violence against the students will be noticed and publicized.

I played in a very paranoid game where the comunal haven was inside an abandoned bank, the safe door was locked from the inside.

I also played in a game where the nomadic pack was so impressed with themselves for staying in a sewer, up until the Nosfeatu (of which I was a part) tore them to shreds.

how about somewhere no one would look?

the penhouse suite of an upmarket hotel.

because if I was looking to stop somewhere in a cammy city I would give any obvious places a very wide birth!

A yacht or houseboat in a coastal area.

An abandoned amusement park, that is nice and creepy.

An old missile silo.

A an old convenience store, diner, gas station on road that become obsolete or bypassed.

An old abandoned train(s) and/or railway station. Alternatively, a closed off section of subway.

An abandoned water treatment plant.

An operating and functional hotel on an off season. In tourist areas where the tourism is extremely seasonal, hotels and other locations that cater to tourists can be pretty lonely. Campgrounds can be this way too.

An old plantation house, if you're in the south, though any isolated old mansion can serve.

A factory, refinery, power plant, mine, or other industrial area that has been abandoned. A possible bonus if there are toxic chemicals to keep humans away.

A semi truck, RV, school bus, or other large vehicle.

A grain silo, barn, or other food or crop storage buildings in more rural areas.

An abandoned prison.

only Lasombra I have played hated mirrors with a passion, I really should have kept a count of the numbers he smashed if only to get a bad luck years count.....

:D

It's always funny how they react. The Lasombra in my current game takes an impish delight in not seeing his reflection.

Oh, and his pack has recently slept:

In a warehouse - one that they owned. They abandoned it after a daylight attack

The basement of a private home after killing the lone resident

A cheap motel

The darkroom of a high school during Thanksgiving break

A Sabbat Haven?

Anywhere they damned well please...

:twisted

Seriously though, I've always liked the automobile haven idea for nomadic pack. They did it brilliantly in Near Dark, living on the edge, using RV's and staying in hotels when they could. They also show how a well-drilled pack might light-proof a temporary haven in a pinch.

For another pop-culture reference, even Nick Knight uses his '59 Cadillac if he is danger of being caught by the dawn. Apparently it has more 'boot space than any car made in the last 30 years' (although I honestly don't know if that is true).

As for a pack based in the city, I would think anywhere that no one can hear you scream. I'd give you a few examples, but Sergeant Brother has already outdone me there! I'd add a derelict mental hospital but that is an obvious and cheesy one, and so non-applicable for your needs.

To steal another movie idea, how about a Backpacker Hostel? Even without the Torture & Murder Club idea, you have a transient, adventurous, anonymous population that uses cash. The right party hostel is full of noise at all hours of the night, and they tend to have their own bars built in. Make it an older building riddled with crawl spaces in the walls and an expansive basement with a good furnace, and you have Sabbat paradise.

Long time ago, when my group played Sabbat extensively for years, the group ended up building their own havens and communal havens. The game was set in the victorian age.

The Toreador built a huge mansion, inspired by Greek and Roman styles, where he invited festive cainites into the mansion to have fun and unwind.

The Brujah made a huge fortress/inn, with lots of cannons and traps. It could be used as a "bombshelter" for cainites in the area.

I seem to remember some others trying to make a ship into a communal haven, I'm unsure if they let it be on the water or dragged the ship to the shore and flipped it over.

Donor

Two of the largest ones in current game are a hotel and an office tower. The hotel has the office and services on the 13th floor, unmarked. Elevator skips the 13th floor. regular long term residencies are on the first of the key required "concierge" floors of elevator. When hunters have gotten clever and went "ah, ha, secret 13th floor!" they got nothing more exciting than the hotels actuall accounting and maintenance departments.

The office tower looks like a pretty standard office tower with the spaces leased out to regular tenants. Has daycare center, gym, some restaurants, all the accessories you'd expect in a large corporate tower that rents out individual floors to midsize firms. The only really peculiar thing it they have several HUGE aquariums in the place. day time you have all kinds of regular people coming and going, plus people just plain coming to see aquariums. Aquarium area closes at 5. Once sun is down, you may well find a lasombra meditating in it. General living quarters are scattered around the tower with regular fights over who has nicer quarters.

The Archbishop in town also had a travelling war haven... a private rail car. usually they just hooked it to regular trains and moved it around that way. Or had it dropped at a rail siding. just like a perfectly normal delivery. To throw people off the trail, they'd sometimes just have all the local Sabbat packs please heave ho and drag it somewhere else where no records would show it had been, sitting on an abandoned siding, looking equally abandoned.

For private havens, the Archbishop had the incredibly unlikely looking house. It looked like it fell out of Better Homes and gardens. White picket fence, porch swing, rose bushes, toys for the dog in the yard, and a mailbox with pastel bunnies. It was really sickeningly adorable. Shared haven with an Assamite and a Nos. The Assamite (archbishop) was a neat freak. Picture the Odd Couple.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this