Sign in to follow this  
Baradiel

A few of my house rules

Donor

So here are a few of my house rules that I have been working on...

1. Affinity Disciplines- There are four clans, the Brujah, Nosferatu, Toreador, and Ventrue (Dominate Malkavians don't exist in my campaigns), who don't have any unique clan disciplines. At times, I feel this puts them at a slight disadvantage, as they don't have a unique power in their corner. I was pondering a way to address this. At first, I contemplated the idea of just writing up unique disciplines and replacing one of the existing clan disciplines for each of those clans, but the existing disciplines do seem appropriate for said clans.

So what I came up with was designating one clan discipline for each of these clans as a "Affinity Discipline". Basically, each of these clans is simply naturally adept at one of these common disciplines. As a result, they get a slight discount on advancing these disciplines. The new formula for the "Affinity Discipline" is (Current Raiting X 5) - Current Raiting. So, for example, to increase your Affinity Discipline from 1 to 2 it would cost you 4 XP instead of 5, 2 to 3 it would cost you 8 instead of 10.

The "Affinity Disciplines" for each of the above clans are Potence for Brujah, Obfuscate for Nosferatu, Presence for Toreador, and Dominate for Ventrue.

2. Common Disciplines and Unique Clan Disciplines- I don't need to relist the "Common Disciplines" and "Unique Clan Disciplines" here, you all know what they are. Now, with that being said, the way I rule having my PCs learn out of clan disciplines is that they simply pay the XP to learn them, and the increased XP to advance them. My logic is that all Vampires naturally have access to them in their blood, but certain clans learn them easier than others.

Unique Disciplines, however, are another story. In fact, they virtually define many clans and bloodlines. So, the way I handle this is that in order to learn these powers, a PC MUST ingest the blood of a vampire of this respective clan, not just a vampire who knows the discipline. Also, in order to advance in this discipline, the cost to increase this discpline if a member of that respective clan is teaching the PC is Current Raiting X 7. If there is no clan tutor to teach the PC, the XP cost is Current Raiting X 8.

3. Sorcerous Disciplines. These are disciplines like Thaumaturgy and Necromancy, any Discipline that includes multiple paths. In this case, you do not need to taste the blood of a member of a clan or bloodline that practices these. You only need either one as a tutor, or find a tome detailing a path of said discipline.

4. Serpentis. I was thinking that Serpentis should give you an affinity with snakes. So dots in Serpentis will give you bonus dice on any Animal Ken roll involving snakes.

I like these house rules, though for simplicity current rating time five minus the current rating equals four times the current rating, so the same price as attributes.

I had a similar idea once, though my thought wasn't to make those Disciplines cheaper in terms of experience but rather to make the Clans slightly better at those Disciplines, like lowers difficulties, making certain aspects more effective, etc.

Donor

My first thought was, wouldn't that inspire people to make somewhat one-dimensional characters power-wise? I imagine seeing more Presence statted Toreadors and Potence specced Brujahs in your games than anywhere else.

I like the Serpentis effect, though. It's a nice touch! :)

I have been toying with the idea of each clan has 1 unique power, you then choose any 2 non unique powers as your aditional "in clan" powers.

This would make it so the powers can reflect personality more, I do acknowledge that it would be abused to hell though!

You are 8 years late! This have been done in nWoD already.

Ventrue: Dominate

Mekhet: Auspex

Daeva: Majesty (more or less just like Presence)

Nosferatu: Nightmare (a scare version of Presence)

Gangrel: Protean

So you can just as easily use the clans/ ideas from nWoD and use them in oWoD.

Donor

Sergeant Brother, yeah, I realized that it does just amount to that about an hour or so after I posted. Still toying with the idea though. I just want to see each of those Clans have a unique advantage.

-t-, I am not a fan of nWod at all, and I love the VtM clans. But I did toy with the idea of Nightmare for Nosferatu.

I like the Serpentis effect, though. It's a nice touch! :)

Yeah, that one just kind of came to me when my girl and I were watching "Rattlesnake Republic" and I was flipping through the V20.

I prefer VtM Clans as well, not just because of the specifics of the Clans, but because the idea of what Clans actually are is radically different in each game. In VtM, Clans are more like actual Clans, vampiric families with a shared history. In VtM, the Clans are as much political entities as Discipline sets, which is something I like quite a bit and think makes sense. In VtR, the Clans are archetypes and don't necessarily match political groups.

Guest Jeebers

It's not the system I would use, since there's an abuse potential, plus it's pretty complicated.

How about a different rule that would encourage players to make deals with NPC's? First, a vampire can learn only those disciplines that are taught by a vampire that has it as a clan power, with the exception of Caitiff. Caitiff can teach ANY discipline they learn.

Second, Celerity Potence and Fortitude can be learned by any vampire that spends xp on them at the standard out of clan cost (or in clan if you belong to the right ones). This means that Brujah aren't as dependent on the vampiric social structure as the others, so it makes it easier for them to rebel. Since this also partially screws over clans with those 3 powers, you can learn the 3 from someone who has it as clan at a slight discount, (x6). Since Caitiff already learn powers at this rate, reduce the taught cost for them down to x5, and said Caitiff can teach them at x6 like everyone else.

I'm a believer of using game mechanics to encourage players toward the game's goals, and in Vampire this means social interaction and intrigue. Caitiff get a special power, as do Brujah, but those clans have social problems already due to their status (rebels for Brujah, outcasts for Caitiff, but hey, at least the latter can bargain for their survival now, eh?).

This has numerous little side effects I haven't yet mentioned, like players making deals with vampires of other clans to learn powers. It also means the Sabbat would have more of a place for Caitiff than would the Camarilla, since they are so focused on vampiric powers and not the ability to use them (attributes, abilities). Also, only someone who has a higher level than you do of the power you want to learn should be able to teach it; although the first dot of the 3 physical disciplines wouldn't get a discount unless you changed that, and those physicals don't require a teacher just to learn it at x7.

Just a series of ideas, but I find that it helps players get more involved in the setting if they are poked into learning their supernatural powers from Mentors and from other clans. Typically I just grant any combo power to a NPC that has the prerequisites already, in case you are wondering how the players would learn combo powers.

Donor

Jeebers, the only thing about that is it kind of seems like the whole point of the social interation is to learn the next cool power.

Guest Jeebers

Well, this gives most players a good excuse to spend more time interacting with NPC's and each other, which I would think is a good thing. Plus, no potential for power abuse. Finally, players might actually play a Caitiff, especially in a Sabbat setting, and that same Caitiff would be encouraging teamwork.

Jeebers, the only thing about that is it kind of seems like the whole point of the social interation is to learn the next cool power.

agree, I have not really seen much eveidence of players needing to be encouraged to interact with NPC's - in fact set most PC's loose and they will go digging into the city social structure with delight. IME

Guest Jeebers

I have. The bunch I usually get together with are very much the insular types, and require prodding to get them to investigate.

Donor

Well, that that is just a case of tayloring your chronicle to your players.

Guest Jeebers

true, but at least my option involving training for Disciplines tends to give Caitiff something to do, and it encourages actual roleplaying. Oddly enough, most players of mine don't go heavily into the 3 physical Disciplines. Most just limit it to getting the first dot or two.

true, but at least my option involving training for Disciplines tends to give Caitiff something to do, and it encourages actual roleplaying. Oddly enough, most players of mine don't go heavily into the 3 physical Disciplines. Most just limit it to getting the first dot or two.

I have played Catiff, it means you have more to do, not less.

Guest Jeebers

Really? I've found that I need to have lots of character hooks to get the players to use their characters to investigate and take advantage of opportunities. For example, I grant free Generation if I can find a sire that would logically want the character the player made. What I have had to hammer into the player's heads is that Generation isn't all that great, since for the most part it doesn't affect your character beyond making them more difficult to Dominate and granting a slightly larger blood pool. Only characters heavily into combat will really want a great Generation score.

Logically, a Caitiff doesn't have those connections to the setting, plus they are "untouchables" in Vampire terms. That makes it difficult to really integrate them into the game.

I really love those Flaws that introduce plot hooks, like Rival etc.

it sounds like your players are used to D&D.

Guest Jeebers

Sort of. One of them continually overestimates his character's abilities and schemes (lives inside his head too often and doesn't have much for contingency plans), another is almost purely reactive, and the last does crazy stuff without really thinking of the consequences. They all have their foibles. Interestingly enough, if I continually have events happening whether or not the players interact with them, it tends to draw them in. Even more so if they have goals they want to attain for their characters. The hard part is getting them away from "I want this magic power" and toward things that don't necessarily involve the expenditure of XP.

Really? I've found that I need to have lots of character hooks to get the players to use their characters to investigate and take advantage of opportunities. For example, I grant free Generation if I can find a sire that would logically want the character the player made. What I have had to hammer into the player's heads is that Generation isn't all that great, since for the most part it doesn't affect your character beyond making them more difficult to Dominate and granting a slightly larger blood pool. Only characters heavily into combat will really want a great Generation score.

Logically, a Caitiff doesn't have those connections to the setting, plus they are "untouchables" in Vampire terms. That makes it difficult to really integrate them into the game.

I really love those Flaws that introduce plot hooks, like Rival etc.

Integrating a Caitiff requires a different approach than characters with more "legititmate" lineages, but works off of the same idea. Rather than using connections within the character's background, use the lack of connections and the low status to create challenging situations that the Caitiff must respond to (or probably die).

Yes, it's no fun if the court ignores the Caitiff PC and the Sourge just tries to kill him. Instead, NPCs could try to extract favors from him in exchange for such prizes as being recognised at all, allowed to hunt anywhere, or not getting outright killed.

Someone that's below notice might end up get blackmail material more easily, or even by accident. They're more likely to be underestimated.

Allowing a Caitiff PC doesn't mean there's nothing to connect him to city and the story. It means that a part of story will revolve around his struggle for survival and acceptance - just like a PC with Clan will have some part of the story involve the traits that Clan imparted to him and/or his connections within the Clan.

Guest Jeebers

That sort of thing would have to be dependent on who the Caitiff encounters during a game session.

Most cities don't have scourges per se; I always thought that if you didn't have at least one dot of Status the social system didn't protect you, so your unlife devolved to "might makes right" where you were the one that was getting picked on. Your unlife turns into a pain in the butt series of aggravations.

Maybe one's lack of Status would result in the same sort of role that the main character does in Bloodlines? You turn into a messenger/gofer.

Maybe one's lack of Status would result in the same sort of role that the main character does in Bloodlines? You turn into a messenger/gofer.

Most likely not, remember that the only reason the PC was not dusted in the first place is because LaCroix had to keep the city's trust. And even then the PC's job was more 'do this dangerous suicidal thing and die' than a messenger. The only reason the PC survived IC is because they had external help and because they were crafty. Also, main characters of a videogame, so naturally more powerful than the average kindred.

About your issues with the caitiff, I'd say you need to remind your players that without their cotierie and allies, they are free prey to every kindred in the city. Without status or sires, nothing is stopping the local Harpies from using them as target practice or local sabbat mooks from doing the same. If they also refuse to work as a group, have vampires raid their haven regularly and potential hunters watching them over at every street corner.

Edited by Ana Mizuki

Catiff should be used as fall guys for schemes, someone to hide behind or more likely used as a smokescreen for NPC's.

I would suggest using the latter "against" PC's ratehr than spoon feeding them.

Guest Jeebers

Anybody interested in some Linguistics improvements?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this