Sign in to follow this  
Pablo Lobo

Claw Vs Bite

Hi all!

I'm running my first WtF story, which is also my first experience as a Storyteller, and I have a doubt regarding these two kinds of attacks.

Both on the WtF book and the character sheet we can see that while on Gauru form the Bite attack has a (+2) modifier and Claws have (+1). My question woud be basically why would anyone ever use Claws instead of Bite? Is there some other benefit that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Well there are a couple of reasons. For one you're not always going to be able to bite whatever you're attacking.

like if you're fighting some sort of foul tasting and p[ossibly poisonous creature, then you're not gonna want to get it in your mouth and would opt to just take out out with your claws instead.

For another reason, this is a storytelling game. it wouldn't be much of a story if all your fights ended up sounding liek a pokemon fight.

Garou used bite

2 damage

Garou used bite

2 damage

Garou thought about doing soemthign else but then did bite again

2 damage

I am well aware that it's a storytelling game, and I more than welcome variety on my fights, but the players are the ones who choose which attack to perform. That's why I'd like to better understand the options the game gives them so that I can explain this to them and they get to decide what to do.

So, to sum it up, as per game mechanics there is no difference other than biting something nasty? :)

So, to sum it up, as per game mechanics there is no difference other than biting something nasty? :)

well no, what i'm saying is that Biting will not always be an option. Also its not like bite and claw are the only attacks you can perform. Those are jsut example/ basic attacks available.

Bite can be a hinderance,no matter the damage pool. Some spirits have poison,some have spikes that make biting less attractive option to clawing simply because your hands generally don't swallow things you bite on reflex.

Mechanics it's basically just choice between biting or clawing, but the issues that come from putting stuff in your mouth can be decisding.

Alright then, when given the option, biting is the way to go. Makes sense, though, given that wolves don't claw at their prey (wolves don't have sharp claws), that a werewolf's best attack would be biting.

Thanks!

Alright then, when given the option, biting is the way to go. Makes sense, though, given that wolves don't claw at their prey (wolves don't have sharp claws), that a werewolf's best attack would be biting.

Thanks!

Well, my characters have never bitten anything,ever. Paranoia is a powerful thing XD

Well, my characters have never bitten anything,ever. Paranoia is a powerful thing XD

I imagine there is plenty of stuff in this game that a character would not want to bite.

Also,do not forget that by spending 3 xp you can purchase a specialty in Brawl (Claws) in order to get the same attack bonus with your claw attack. This will come in handy when,as the rest of the people wrote, biting is not an option.

Thanks!

well wolves do claw at there prey but i see what your saying, but don't forget you have to get close to some one to bite them and when you do you open yourself to attack, but you can claw at some one with out making your self open to attack.

also the whole putting something strange in your mouth thing.

The impression that I was given was that you had to grapple to bite unless you were in wolf form, but I could be wrong.

Donor

Like so many people has stated in this thread, I'll say it again: Biting is all fun and good until you encounter a poison spirit. Goddamn.