Sign in to follow this  
DigitalCulture

An Update? The Lone Watchtower

So after looking over the main Mage book again, I noticed and read the section about the Lone Watchtower. I then did a search on here and found nothing else ever written about it as of the last time the question was asked. Is there some book or source that goes in to what this watchtower could be?

Curator

Not really, but I did pick up on speculation in the Promethean: the Created game that this Sixth Watchtower could have something to do with Pyros, Azoth and the alchemical processes of the Created.

I have also speculated, on an older post, that you could run a game where the characters discover the ruins of the Sixth Watchtower, or some piece remaining of it, either in The Shadow ... or somewhere in a remote spot of Earth.

Remember the WoD book Mysterious Places? t could be the source of "The Village Secret," only the village could be some remote little Welsh village on the coast of North Wales with a name like Porthmadog or Penrhyndeudraeth or Criccieth, and caverns which lead to a chamber older than time, containing some gigantic stone blocks of an alien material, and a fuelless fire that heals as it burns ...

Not really, but I did pick up on speculation in the Promethean: the Created game that this Sixth Watchtower could have something to do with Pyros, Azoth and the alchemical processes of the Created.

I have also speculated, on an older post, that you could run a game where the characters discover the ruins of the Sixth Watchtower, or some piece remaining of it, either in The Shadow ... or somewhere in a remote spot of Earth.

Remember the WoD book Mysterious Places? t could be the source of "The Village Secret," only the village could be some remote little Welsh village on the coast of North Wales with a name like Porthmadog or Penrhyndeudraeth or Criccieth, and caverns which lead to a chamber older than time, containing some gigantic stone blocks of an alien material, and a fuelless fire that heals as it burns ...

You always seem to be pretty good with this speculation. Thanks for the input. I have not yet decided what or if I want to do anything with my mage game and the Lone Watchtower. Since my cabal is all Mysterium, some ancient exploration is definitely in order though. I actually haven't looked through or read Mysterious Places. Working my way through what I have got has given me so many great ideas. I don't know much about Prometheans, but connecting them to mage cosmology in some way makes sense to me. It seems like Mage is really the over arching cosmic truth of all the white wolf games, or maybe that is just because I like it so much. It just seems like there is a place to fit all the games into mage.

Magical Traditions includes brief mention of an alternate plane made of clockwork gears and muscle and bone operating as a gigantic machine, which may be connected to the God-Machine mentioned in the WoD core, and the Principle discussed in Pandora's Book.

My opinions:

It is my belief that some of the other worlds are fallen, shattered reflections of the Supernal. The Realms Supernal are arranged like a pentacle, whereas the Realms Invisible are arranged like a yin-yang symbol (Earth and the Astral versus the Shadow and the Underworld) with a few orbiting spheres (Faerie, Hell, Empyrean/God-Machine) and some tangled threads connecting various portions (the Skein and other tunnels between worlds). That doesn't include all the other extraneous worlds mentioned in certain books, like the many alternate worlds of the Shatter or the Lower Depths.

I believed that the Watchtowers exist simultaneous in the Fallen and Supernal, which is how souls can cross the Abyss to Awaken and how mages can summon Supernal beings down to Earth. Visiting the Watchtowers on this side, however, is an epic journey in and of itself.

In the Mage Chronicler's guide they did have a write or another Watchtower but to show an example how others could be built.

Curator

You could put a tiny piece of the Lost Watchtower into a reliquary of some sort - a marble statue, a wedding ring, perhaps dust from the foundation incorporated into a housebrick in one exterior corner of an old house built half a century ago.

Or indeed an actual reliquary - a monstrance of solid gold surrounding a smaller internal container of perfected gold with the relic, a fragment of a cornerstone of the Watchtower, nestled on a cushion of Azlu silk.

It would make one powerful MacGuffin, and the focus of an entire campaign.

Guest SKeLoRiC

No idea of how it would work mechanically, but what if the Lost Watchtower were IN the Abyss.

Intentionally placed there to channel the Abyss itself?

What would an Abyssal reflection of the 5 realms look like?

What sort of benefit would magic receive?

What high cost would the mages of the Abyssal Tower pay for their connection?

Curator

They covered this in Tome of the Mysteries, under the "Abyssal Magic" section, and also featured in the Cult of the Doomsday Clock Left Hand Legacy in Legacies: the Sublime.

Guest SKeLoRiC

Ah, I don't have either of those. After the core rules, I really didn't feel like throwing more money at Mage. Any initial insight for us about the "Abyssal Magic" section?

Curator

Let me dig up Tome of the Mysteries a moment.

Okay, three main options exist. The first, every mage can do: somewhat like using Spite to fuel Horrors in the old Orpheus game, the mage can just let the Abyss touch the fabric of her spell, one time only. They call this "Befouling." Initially, it requires a Resolve + Composure roll to establish the temporary sympathetic link with the Abyss. The character is temporarily remembering her own Quiescence - what she felt like as a Sleeper.

Mages aren't automatically made aware of this. This comes under the heading of Incredibly Stupid Things To Do, much like shooting up heroin for a dare.

Benefits:
- Paradox is attenuated: the Paradox roll is at -2.
- An offensive spell could be set to cause aggravated damage, no matter the level of spell. A low-level Covert Ruling spell could inflict aggravated damage.
- Rush: The character regains one spent Willpower roll, and feels a rush more akin to fulfillment of a Vice. The good vibes last for an hour.

Drawbacks:
- Crash: When the hour is up, the character crashes, hard. -1 to all rolls for the next 12 hours. The Abyss also weakens the immune system - all damage sustained in that 12 hour period becomes Resistant.
- Addiction: "For up to one week after casting the spell touched with the Abyss, the mage must make a reflexive Resolve + Composure roll the first time she casts a spell in any scene (she does not need to roll for any other castings she performs within the same scene). Failing this roll means she must taint that spell with the void, gaining all the rewards of doing so and paying all the costs.

"Worse, every time she gives into this urge, resisting the next time becomes harder. For every time after the first, the mage suffers a cumulative –1 die penalty to the roll to resist. She can help to lessen this urge by not casting any magic at all: she can reduce the total penalty by –1 die for each 12 hours in which she does not cast magic. Each 12-hour period that passes without using magic at all negates one of those –1 penalties."

If the character becomes addicted, she automatically goes onto the second path: The Joining.

The next stage is the one where the Abyssal Watchtowers first appear, and this is the path where one's mojo starts getting permanently twisted.

If The Fouling was an occasional single turd floating in your outdoor swimming pool, The Joining is what you get when you give up hiring the pool cleaner and just use the outdoor pool as a great big toilet.

The mage, here, does not choose to have this option happen: it happens to the character, or is chosen for her. Abyssal addiction, great despair or having a covert Left Hand Path Mentor acting like Darth Sidious would do.

The character is given a single glimpse of what looks like her Watchtower, but something about it is off, wrong, rotten somehow. It always feels empty; a funhouse reflection of the Watchtowers in cracked, soiled, grimy mirrors. This is her last chance to walk away and deny the Abyss; or, if she accepts the vision, she reaches out and signs her name a second time on the wall of the Abyssal reflection of the Watchtower, maiming her mojo.

Benefits:
- Paradox: -2 to Paradox dice, aggravated damage, plus the character can inflict the Paradox dice upon another mage in sensory range instead, screwing with their casting dice pool. She has to inflict this within one hour of her own spellcasting or suffer an immediate backlash: one Resistant bashing damage per Paradox success.
- Sleeper Sympathy: Sympathetic spells cast upon a Sleeper do not require 1 Mana.

Drawbacks:
- As for the Befouling, above, plus:-
- Bad Nimbus: The Nimbus goes twisted around the edges, and even Sleepers can occasionally glimpse this twisted Nimbus on a Resolve + Composure roll at a -3 penalty. The Nimbus grows harder to control: -2 to cloak or uncloak it.
- Weak Mind: The character gains a mild derangement.

The character can deny the Abyss at any time. However, this carries risks which depend on whether or not the character denies the Abyss before, or after, the Joining.

Both ways, refusing the Abyss is permanent. The character can never again call down the Abyss to befoul her spells, and cannot gain any of the benefits of Abyssal sympathy. On the other hand, she no longer suffers the debilitation of Abyssal sympathy tainting her pattern.

Bad news is, if she denies the Abyss after the Joining, things go bad for her.

Bad, as in "automatic point of Resistant aggravated damage" bad.

Bad, as in "make a Gnosis roll: each success inflicts a further point of Resistant aggravated damage" bad.

Finally, after denying the Abyss, spellcasting rolls which would have incurred Paradox gain +1 dice for the next month after the denial, after which things return to normal for the mage.

Basically, this is what happens when a mage signs her name on the Abyssal reflection of a Watchtower. Now if it happens to be the Sixth Watchtower, bur it looks like the one the character Awakened to ...

The Third Path is basically becoming a member of a Left Hand Legacy; somewhat prosaic and boring. The Fourth Path is actually Awakening directly to the Abyssal Watchtowers, presumably permanently tainting one's baraka right from the outset, like the character who wrote that Abyssal storybook in Intruders: Encounters with The Abyss.

Guest SKeLoRiC

Thus Mage is truly a horror game, one just has to wait awhile for the horror to finally show up.

Scary damn sh!+ is indeed the Abyss.

it isn't just there to mess with the magic, it messes with the mage and just people in general.

Curator

I'll probably bring up the topic in a separate thread, but basically the Abyss always feels like everything's been steeped in a mixture of toner powder, sulphur and heavy duty motor oil.

Think I'll go and reread Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss today.

And to go back to the topic, it'd be much more fun if the surviving fragment of the Sixth Watchtower was nowhere near the Abyss anyway. Some place cleaner, like the Shadow.

Or somewhere on Earth.