skaught

Wraith questions

Hey everyone. I just joined this forum. I'm trying to learn to play Wraith. Seems like an awesome game and right up my alley. There's a lot of things I don't understand about the game. I've read most of the book (the first edition). But some stuff just doesn't add up. Could some experts please help me out.

1) What happens to a wraith player when all of his fetters and/or passions are destroyed? The book says that the wraith can't exist in the shadowlands for long, so does this mean that the game is over for the player?

2) What is the difference between the Tempest and the Labyrinth?

3) How does a Wraith get to Stygia? Is there some form of benefit from going there? Or is it something a wraith wants to avoid.

I'll have more questions as time goes by. Also, if anyone is in Minneapolis and interested in playing this game, I'm all for it.

Hey everyone. I just joined this forum. I'm trying to learn to play Wraith. Seems like an awesome game and right up my alley. There's a lot of things I don't understand about the game. I've read most of the book (the first edition). But some stuff just doesn't add up. Could some experts please help me out.

1) What happens to a wraith player when all of his fetters and/or passions are destroyed? The book says that the wraith can't exist in the shadowlands for long, so does this mean that the game is over for the player?

2) What is the difference between the Tempest and the Labyrinth?

3) How does a Wraith get to Stygia? Is there some form of benefit from going there? Or is it something a wraith wants to avoid.

I'll have more questions as time goes by. Also, if anyone is in Minneapolis and interested in playing this game, I'm all for it.

Hi, and welcome to the forums. The Wraith board isn't incredibly active, and I am a bit of a forum lurker anyway. But I will try to help, wraith is a great game:

1) The Shadowlands is the ghostly representation of the living world. It is where all Wraiths inhabit on death. It lies on top (or behind) the real world, everything appeas more decayed, rotten and less vital than the living world. However it is the layer of the underworld that is closest to the vitality of the living and allows Wraiths that inhabit it to more readily gain Pathos (to feed, as it were) . It also explains the rather depressing mindset of Wraiths, even when close to the living world, they percieve it as dark, decayed and horrific.

2) The Labyrinth lies on the edge of Oblivion, the Tempest lies above it. I kind of see the Tempest is kind of the 'filler' in the Underworld as it connects the different sections. However that is a simplistic view. They can sometime seem similar to one another, for example Spectres live in both, but the Labyrinth is more their 'home'. In my mind the Tempest has less form than the Labyrinth, it is more mutable and can look like may things to travellers based on their preconceptions. When travelling in a boat it may be a roiling ocean, when in a car - a pockmarked road. The Labyrinth bends to the dark dreams of the Malfeans and powerful spectres that lie within, It tends to be more horrifying than the Tempest.

3) There are many ways to travel to Stygia. There is a train that travels at odd times between Necropoli in the Shadowlands called the Midnight Express, however, as it is run by the Ferrymen it sometimes travels to other places unknown as well. Wraith skilled in Argos can lead Wraiths through the Tempest. There are also Byways, semi-permanent roads that lead through the Tempest between all places in the Underworld, the largest and most well travelled is the River of Death, which leads to Stygia.

Stygia is the seat of power in the Kingdom of Iron (the western society of Wraiths including most of the Middle East and Russia). It is a massive place built of the memories of all of the great cities of history, in my mind it is the size of a small country rather than a large city. Depending on the Wraiths viewpoint they may fear going to Stygia or wish to travel there. There a riches and dangers there, both political and physical. Slaves caravans are brought there to be melted down as soul steel, the Deathlords hold court and any who wish to curry favour with them would do well to be near. There is also the Veinous Stair, a well protected and perminent gate to the labyrinth.

Hope this helps,

Hollow

That does help. I still have a few questions though.

The book talks about fetters/passions being destroyed, and/or resolved. But if the fetters/passions are destroyed, the wraith can't materialize in the Shadowlands. So where would he then spend his time?

If he resolves them, is he still unable to materialize in the shadowlands? What is the benefit of resolving them?

That does help. I still have a few questions though.

The book talks about fetters/passions being destroyed, and/or resolved. But if the fetters/passions are destroyed, the wraith can't materialize in the Shadowlands. So where would he then spend his time?

If he resolves them, is he still unable to materialize in the shadowlands? What is the benefit of resolving them?

By Shadowlands it means the dark representation of real world. In the case of the wraith losing its fetters the wraith is forced to live in the 'lower' levels of the underworld, such as Stygia itself ir some other island in the Tempest.

I think the benefit of resolving fetters is that the wraith is free to wander the Shadowlands unlike when one is destroyed (don't quote me on this). Additionally it is a set in the right direction in order for the wraith to resolve the things that are keeping it tethered to the living world and therefore a step towards Transcendence.

Hope that helps!

Procurator

Wraiths who have lost all their Fetters are called Domems. This usually refers to older wraiths, though young wraiths can also be domems, provided they have lost all their Fetters. Resolving a Fetter allows a wraith to wander unrestricted through all the different "layers" of the Underworld, even if the rest of her Fetters are destroyed afterwards. The Wyrm and Oblivion are not the same thing. Oblivion can be thought of as passive destruction, while the Wyrm is active -- and corrupting -- destruction.

Also, welcome to the forums. :)

A Wraith who has resolved a fetter is called a Gaunt. Also, resolving all of a wraith's fetters is the first major step toward achieving transcendence.

Now my question is, if a Gaunt resolves all his fetters but one, which is destroyed, has he lost all chance of transcendence? After all, this wraith has lost his chance at ever coming to terms with that fetter. (Nobody said Wraith wasn't ever bleak.)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.