Sign in to follow this  
Kalaya

My New Game Idea - what do you think

Hi Guys, I've been away for AAAAAGES. Have finally been inspired to put together a hunter game after watching Motel Hell. I'll be basing the motel owner around the slasher rules (once i get my hands on the antigonists book).

So basically all the players work for the same company and are away in a motel for a team building weekend, they're the company duds and they've been sent to this crappy motel with all the plebs instead of Vegas where all the higher ups are. Fun and games will ensue with me using as much of the actual plot of the film as possible. I'm fairly certain none of the players have seen the film seeing it's so old.

Also the big bad in the game will be their company, which is going to be based on Wolfram and Hart from the Angel series.

So what you think of the general concept?

Its sounds pretty cool, however being new to the h:tv scene, i am just wondering how to make this an ongoing event. If your players survive the incidents at the motel are they going to learn something about their company which leads them back only to be shut out for any information and ultimately finding a much darker secret? or is there no chance of surviving the motel?

i am thinking of making them a band instead, it would make more sense for a long term campaign on the road. if the lads like it and i could do a monster of the week thing but have something going on in the background with their management team. funny how they keep getting sent to gigs near places where weird shit is happening etc. can work on it as it goes along tho coz knowing my gaming group they'll zig when i want them to zag :P

i forgot to say, there's a very good chance they will survive. i'm thinking of pitting them against a slasher. will 1 be enough for around 5 hunter types

The nature of nWoD makes it suitable for one-offs. To make it an ongoing campaign is more difficult, because new WoD doesn't give a lot of fluff suitable for that. My trick is usually to reveal a little of a big dark secret every quest and that should lead to another quest. In a game like Cthulhu the big dark secret is already in the books you buy, making it easy for you to pick something you like and use that for an ongoing campaign. Now I am not the typical new WoD gamer, but I usually get my campaign ideas from other sources. And I use the hunter books and the mortal books to support that. Something in the direction of conspiracies usually works pretty well. You can also consider giving the bad guys a specific theme and mood to link them together and make the locations you visit reflect the same themes and moods of the enemies. A good motivation for the baddies also works really well to make them more than baddies. Make them relatable.