Sign in to follow this  
Sahajiya

So I'm running Exalted again...

My thoughts exactly. In all the Exalted games I've ever played, even the longest-running campaign that first propelled me into Exalted fandom, we never really explored what it meant to have an immortal divine shard inside your everyday mortal. None of our characters ever reached Essence 5, and we certainly never tapped into their very long lifespan. And I like the idea of giving them a chance not just to witness the rise and fall of nations around them, but to be active participants in which ones rise and which ones fall. Not to mention having recurring villains that will be dogging them long after most mortals have become worm food. :)

I'm very interested to see how they'll handle a chronicle like this - what sorts of choices they'll make, good or bad, and how those choices will shape things as time progresses.

We just started the chronicle last night. It was lots of fun, even with half of our group composed of Exalted noobs. I think the first couple story arcs will follow one after the other, then I'll start doing time jumps of 1-5 years in downtime, gradually working up to decades-long leaps in game time.

Donor

If I was to really direct you as an ST to 2nd edition material, it is in descending order:

Infernals

the Glories of the Most High pdf

Thousand Correct Actions of the Upright Soldier pdf

Alchemicals

The Ink Monkeys blog

then whatever books fill your particular game needs (as in books of magic, locations be they Celestial or Terrestrial and the assorted flotsam and jetsam of Exalted like the Dragon-Kings).

All those above add new stuff, much new stuff.

Plus, they are all well written.

If I was to really direct you as an ST to 2nd edition material, it is in descending order:

Infernals

the Glories of the Most High pdf

Thousand Correct Actions of the Upright Soldier pdf

Alchemicals

The Ink Monkeys blog

Bah, you and your Infernals. :) I'll get to the book eventually, but I have other books to read first that will be of more immediate use, I think. Like the Dragon-Blooded book.

I've got all the other books except for the Thousand Correct Actions (but it's on my list to acquire), and I'm starting to poke around the Ink Monkeys blog for supplemental stuff. I'm really impressed with the Glories material, and the one on the Maidens was particularly enlightening, though I still have yet to read the one on Luna. I don't suppose there's a Glories pdf on Gaia's Elemental Dragons?

Donor

It's an older second Ed book, but make sure that you have The Roll of Glorious Divinity I. Having all the extra stuff on spirits is really handy, since they're everywhere. It's also referenced a lot by other books.

Donor

Bah, you and your Infernals. :) I'll get to the book eventually, but I have other books to read first that will be of more immediate use, I think. Like the Dragon-Blooded book.

I've got all the other books except for the Thousand Correct Actions (but it's on my list to acquire), and I'm starting to poke around the Ink Monkeys blog for supplemental stuff. I'm really impressed with the Glories material, and the one on the Maidens was particularly enlightening, though I still have yet to read the one on Luna. I don't suppose there's a Glories pdf on Gaia's Elemental Dragons?

Let me explain.

Infernals is the only book in the series to cover material NOT presented in 1st Edition.

That is my primary reason.

No Glories for the DB's yet, or Alchies, Infernals, or Abyssals.

There is implication this may happen.

The DB's book is good, but it REALLY needs the Thousand Correct Actions to work at it's best. That pdf did untol justice to DB co-operative and War Charms and fixed their Charm-set rather elegantly.

Plus it's a damn good read.

Aha, then I'll bump the Thousand Correct Actions up on the list. :D

Mostly, my immediate "To Read" list is composed of books that have crunchy stuff I can bring to bear in fights, with a little fluff to tie it all together. Because of the changes made to combat (both physical and social) and charms in 2nd Edition, I want to make sure that it runs as smoothly as possible no matter what the opponent - primarily DBs and Abyssals, since those are the more obvious threats in the Scavenger Lands. (Lunars, too, I suppose.) And with an Outcaste DB player in the group, I'd like to be more conversant in what they can do than I am at present so I'm not referring to the books every few minutes. :)

I'm also looking to brush up on the Terrestrial and Celestial Bureaucracy, since the players will likely be gathering allies among them as the game progresses, and I'd like to involve the divinities more, anyway. Their role has always been lacking in any game I've played in, so I want to make sure that my own chronicle doesn't do them a disservice. Good call on the Roll of Glorious Divinity there, Zenten, I'll add that to the list.

Eventually, I'll be shifting focus in the chronicle to open up the other Exalted types to play, including Alchemicals because I've always liked them and I have a player keen on exploring their ins and outs....

God Sahajiya, your chronicle sounds like so much fun... do you happen to live in Minnesota? I wish there was an Exalted ST in my area.

I hope that Gaia, Autochthon, the Yozis, and the Neverborn get their Glories of the Most High eventually, too.

Edited by Erinye

God Sahajiya, your chronicle sounds like so much fun... do you happen to live in Minnesota? I wish there was an Exalted ST in my area.

Sorry, I'm a California dude. :) Care to relocate? We're looking for new players... :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this