Mortekai

Questions about the battle

Pius

Questions about the battle.

http://www.shadownes...showtopic=32910

The rules:

• Each game system, old as well as new have 7 days to come up with an idea for a reward that is uniquely suited for that particular system.
  • At the end of the 7 days a vote will be setup with all entries and for another 7 days all members of Shadownessence are allowed to vote for the suggestion they favor most.
  • The winner at the end of the 7 days will be created by me and it will then be available for anyone to use in the awards section, as long as they fulfill the requirements for it.

Curator

So, each game system creates an award specifically tailored to that system, and then all of the members of SnE vote for one award out of all the game systems? Isn't that sort of an SnE White Wolf game line popularity contest?

Pius

Both yes and no.

Because you do not vote for the system itself, but rather the reward and how well they like that we may end up with popular systems with not so popular rewards and the other way around :)

This is why it may not be such a bad idea to have rather generic awards that while specific to a system may be used outside the system as well ;)

The battle is not as easy as it look at first look with other words ;)

Curator

So there will be an award for the oWoD and a separate award for the nWoD? That would make sense, but wasn't very clear in your initial outline for this contest.

Donor

No, there is one award that is awarded, period, and each gameline is coming up with their own gameline specific award

translation: Changelings win

Curator

My apologies; I believe I responded to the wrong question in the wrong thread.

Donor

What exactly is mean by "reward" or "award"? Is there a consideration of scope? Obviously Mort isn't going to be handing out cash prizes.... >.<

Additionally, I'm not sure how a system popularity contest is going to revitalize things much. As Krieg stated, it's pretty obvious that the C:tD crew is the most active at the moment, so not much of a contest on any account, eh?

EDIT:

Well, after looking at the User CP, I guess the "award" is a token from one user to another.

So they should appeal to, or at least be comprehensible, to people outside our own gamelines, right?

Do we need to worry what they look like to people from a different group of games, such as Exalted or nWoD? Because nearly everything we can think of for Werewolf: the Apocalypse could easily be mistaken for a reference to Exalted. If our "audience" who will vote on oWoD rewards is restricted to just the oWoD people, then we don't have to worry. But if everyone on the board will vote for oWoD (and nWoD, etc.) rewards, we need to know that so we don't lose because our reward looked equally appropriate for Werewolf or Exalted.

Donor

Today I got an E-mail stating that the 7 day deadline is now an absolute deadline and there's a non-submission penalty of the entire sub-forum being shut down for a month.

It's bad form to change the rules this late in the contest, Mort, and particularly to impose a punishment this severe.

Donor
I Hate All Life,

each system now have 24 hours to submit their suggestion and line up for the battle...

All systems that lack a suggestion will be punished for their cowardice by getting removed from this forum for 30 days!!

PM me your suggestions...and only one suggestion for each system...or you will be punished as well!

http://www.shadownes...out-the-battle/

Excuse me?

I participate as best I can in Shadownessence. This is hands down my favorite forum on the Internet. I regret that I've not had cash to donate to it, as I have up to date very little extra income to spare. I'm financially stable for the first time in my adult life now, and for years I've been planning to donate to SnE as soon as that happened. (I may be able to offer money as soon as next month, though may not be much, but it'll be putting my money where my mouth is finally.) I try to post my ideas here, offer feedback on others' ideas, and try to be as helpful as I can be. I've not been able to do as much of that lately because of big changes in my life and new responsibilities. I choose to spend most of my free time with my love, which takes up time that I'd otherwise devote to gaming projects. She doesn't monopolize my time, she's a gamer too -- but she's where I want to be and she wants me there. And this week in particular has been hectic and trying, considering my little family unit in the midst of something of a small crisis not of our doing. Still, I do set aside time for my gaming and other interests, and some of that includes coming here to SnE and offering what I can, when I can.

Now I'm being informed that (1) systems without submissions will be banned from the forum and (2) I'll be punished personally for not submitting something.

Wow.

I've cooled down a bit since first reading the email. But I must say I feel this is an abuse of authority. And frankly, it doesn't seem at all like you to do something like this Mortekai. It's one thing to ask for submissions, it's another to force them. Is it you weren't getting the response you wanted? Look, I'm not unsympathetic to that sort of frustration. I've worked long and hard on things (such as my recent Debased: Evolution netbooks) which were largely ignored. However, we can only put our work out there and hope that it's recognized. Strong-arm tactics to force participation isn't the way to go. I can threaten to take down my web page if people don't come see my netbooks or whatever, for instance, and all I'd succeed in doing is shooting myself in the foot. I'd alienate people that might have otherwise been interested in my creations, and others would try to visit my page and wonder why it's gone.

If I come to SnE and find that, for example, the Middle Kingdom forum isn't there because no Kindred of the East submissions were made, or KotE discussions are no forbidden, I will take that as a sign that my input here is no longer desired. Similarly, if I am punished in some way because I haven't had the time lately to come by here and submit some idea for some competition/showdown/contest/something I don't fully understand, then I will also take that as a sign I'm no longer welcome.

If that happens, it will sadden me greatly. I love this place, this is sort of like my home online. I've been here for years, back before it was even SnE. I love the WoD games above all others, including my own creations, and this is one of the last bastions for discussing those games. Even the White Wolf forums are a poor shadow of SnE, especially for oWoD. And I like you Mortekai, as well as a lot of my fellow posters. I've made many friends here. But getting punitive is uncalled for, especially since any lack of submission on my part isn't because of laziness or lack of interest, but because I have a family and a life and bigger responsibilities now.

Kinda like back when you were too busy for this place. Remember? (I'm not being smarmy, there; you had other responsibilities. And I can relate fully.)

I hope the next time I come here I'll have an account to log into, and that I'm free to discuss whatever topic comes to mind in any forum -- be it Pentex Debased or KotE through a Tibetan lens. But whether I can or can't is entirely up to you.

Anyway. I've had my say. I hope you understand I'm not being contrary or mean or on one of my legendary rants. I'm not. But I'm upset and confused why you're doing this. :no:

Calm down guys, I'm 99.9% sure that the email was a joke, considering Mort's history and the amount of work it would take to punish everyone who didn't contribute. For all we know the 30 day removal will mean that our forums get turned pink or something.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Donor

Here's hoping it is a joke, and I overreacted. If so I apologize.

Curator

If its a joke its not funny.

This is... my fourth I think... attempt at typing this.

This is simply absurd.

There have been plenty of questions about the contest, not well answered. To change the rules at this late date is unfair, bewildering and extremely damaging to the forums.

Imagine 30 days of non-activity. 30 days of people not coming to check. Why do they come back on day 31?

They don't. They won't. At least, I very much doubt I would. In fact, I doubt I'd want anything of mine associated with SnE in such a juncture.

Beyond the unfairness of this late decision, beyond the effects of how badly it would hurt the forum...

I feel betrayed. I'd feel incredibly betrayed if it came to pass, but even just thinking about it I feel betrayed.

I may not have put in as much work as some, but since I've come here I've put in a lot. I've been staff, I've contributed to projects, I've tried to get games and projects going, I've recruited people, posted house rules and stories and the lot of it.

And the idea that the end of that is I wake up to find it gone for 30 days minimum, in likelihood more if the forum ever stutters back to life? That's my reward?

I am picking my words very carefully and I am saying betrayed.

Mortekai, please rethink this.

Procurator

I believe Mortekai was kidding when he wrote that. I would like to add my two cents and point out that a "dead" forum can't be reactivated while locked away. Such a move would be counterproductive, as every post preceding mine has stated.

Donor

Aww, I figured it was said in jest. Sort of a tongue in cheek jab at the fact that some of the forums are kinda humming along without much to say.

Anyway, I sent my suggestions off, no punishments for me! :D

I'm calling it now; all who don't contribute to the battle will get rick-rolled. It might be mildly amusing.

Curator

I highly advocate defacing the fora that fail to contribute, rather than locking them. Be creative. Maybe change it to "Harry and Draco's Leather and Whips Slashfic Community", or a deodorant enthusiasts concolation, or a My Little Ponies gothic RP board.

If the W:tA board fails to perform and gains some sort of Hello Kitty theme, I would be motivated to post there several times a day perhaps.

Donor

I highly advocate defacing the fora that fail to contribute, rather than locking them. Be creative. Maybe change it to "Harry and Draco's Leather and Whips Slashfic Community", or a deodorant enthusiasts concolation, or a My Little Ponies gothic RP board.

If the W:tA board fails to perform and gains some sort of Hello Kitty theme, I would be motivated to post there several times a day perhaps.

(Sets alarm for tomorrow noon: SEND IN THE FUCKING PM OR PALAMINO WILL HAVE HELLO WEREWOLF FORUMS)

Donor

(Sets alarm for tomorrow noon: SEND IN THE FUCKING PM OR PALAMINO WILL HAVE HELLO WEREWOLF FORUMS)

I'm sorry to say this guys, but what the he** is this little "competition" about anyway??? Make up an "Award" for your gameline??? Award for what? And for what purpose??? Maybe it's because English isn't my first language, but I don't get what we are aiming for here?

Are we just looking for some possible "Award names" for the different game lines? Or what's the deal???

Possible suggestions:

Vampire - "The Malkavian" - Awarded to the person with the most posts each month.

Fallen - "The Undying" - Awarded to the author of the thread with the largest number of responses each month.

when is the deadline?

ignore me, found it.

Pius

Now you see how Evil I truly am ;)

No, just kidding. Of course no system will vanish or be punished for not participating, that would be just cruel and egomanic..ly..stic...well, you know what I mean :)

Interestingly though activity spiked in the past 18 hours and my PM box is quickly filling up with ideas, suggestions and a whole lot of angry voices. This is good and it show that you'll defend your favorite systems with tooth and nails, even if it means swimming to Sweden and kick me in the behind to do it :)

I am sorry if I stirred you up a bit, but I figured it would help bring people back and get into things (if for no other reason than to scream at the injustice of getting said system taken offline for 30 days) and by the look of things I think it worked.

...so now the next phase of my evil plan can begin...

*NOT watching this thread anymore* If this ignorance continues, I'll be ignoring the site as well. :(

Donor
Interestingly though activity spiked in the past 18 hours and my PM box is quickly filling up with ideas, suggestions and a whole lot of angry voices. This is good and it show that you'll defend your favorite systems with tooth and nails, even if it means swimming to Sweden and kick me in the behind to do it :)

I am sorry if I stirred you up a bit, but I figured it would help bring people back and get into things (if for no other reason than to scream at the injustice of getting said system taken offline for 30 days) and by the look of things I think it worked.

Mortekai I... I just... *sputters*

*buys rowboat, nautical map to Sweden, compass, fresh water and rations, rubber cement, medical tubing, caged honey badger, cattle prod and video camera*

*NOT watching this thread anymore* If this ignorance continues, I'll be ignoring the site as well. :(

*sigh* Mort made it clear he was joking. I started the outcry and now I have a little egg on my face. No need for more dramatics, huh?

To be fair it was so out of character for Mort even I knew it must be a joke of some sort.