Saint Michael

post- Ends of Empire

Procurator

The Empire has fallen, and it's every wraith for itself. Anyone played past the End of Empire? Will it be superficially similar to Wraith the Great War? Aside from the crumbling of an entire support structure, and the revelation of long-held secrets, I'm having difficulty seeing the changes between then and now. There are still invading wraiths stuck in foreign afterlives. There are still Spectres hiding within the razored winds of the Maelstrom. There are undoubtedly Doomslayers out there attempting to fight Oblivion's forces. Any help given by the Ferrymen, the Guilds, and the remnants of Stygia would be welcome, but in at least some cases, will it be offered?

The awakening of the Grand Maw of Oblivion, the Transcendence of Charon and the hardening of the Shroud would seem to be the main differences. It might be possible to delay or even stop these things, but it surely would not be easy. The whole underworld is falling apart post-EOE and it just might fall to the player-character Wraiths to put things back together again if this is indeed possible. It might be possible for them to find such things as Charon's mask and Syklos that might turn the tide in their favor - or steal these things back from the Spectres who have overrun just about everything.

The Underworld, what is left of it, is a lot more hostile that even during the Great War. I would think that Spectres are much more numerious since the Malfeans are waking up, or at least stirring in their slumber. Its the end of the world as we know it, the end of the world that we never got for Time of Judgment, and your Wraiths can either save it or destroy it - or die (again) trying.

Has anyone else ignored or modified the metaplot so that they could go on playing wraith or any WOD game for that matter?

When I ran last I went off the idea that WOD end of the world event was altered. Instead a series of heroes from each series gave their lives to stop the end of everything. The result was that it pushed back the hour hand of the WOD doomsday clock.

I still went off the idea that Charon transcended but I got rid of the ridiculous bombing of Enoch. The creators hinted at so many cooler ways for the end to come. I know that causes a continuity error with Hunter the Reckoning but I don’t care.

I worked "Ends of Empire" into my Wraith game, pretty much followed the outline. Afterwards I used the event from that story and began a Demon the Fallen game. To those not familiar with Demon the Sixth Maelstrom crack the prison of Hell, allowing some fallen angels to escape. Where this plays to Wraith is one type of demon is closely involved with the spirits of the dead so I got to show my players how their actions (or inactions in some cases) affected how things ended up in the Shadowlands.

Since both games have Charon as an anchor NPC the demons actually contacted their players Wraiths to ask questions since they were there when Charon transcended. That game was a blast for all of us.

One of my players had religious issues about playing a demon so she kept her Wraith toon and became a "pet" to the demons. In one exchange when the demons first meet the remaining Wraith toon she explains how being trapped in her haunt while the maelstrom rages outside "was like Hell.". When at that point ALL five of the demons characters said in unison, "no it's not!". I still laugh today when I think how perfect that conversion worked out.

I am about to start a new Wraith/Demon game with some of the original players and some new ones. It will be a post Ends of Empire but years later. The Heirarchy has been able to rebuild itself and even though Stygia is still in ruins the legions have wrestled control away from the Spectres. Most of this will be invisible to the players as I don't se them going to Stygia and the they will start out being saved from slavers by renegades but one of my veteran players is already talking about Stygia so we'll see.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.