Sign in to follow this  
Temple

Milestones

So, Milestones in Promethean have always irked me. I mean, I love the concept. It's great, and a thousand different kinds of awesome, it just bothers me that it's the ST that gets to specify what they are, when they are such an integral part of the characters journey and his Magnnum Opus, something I believe the players should have full authorship over.

So I propose a change. Instead of having the ST create each characters Milestones, the players get to define these Milestones. So each player has a clear image of where the game is headed, what stories will be told about their characters. Of course, this means the players will have to be on the same page. That its the story we tell, not the mindless droning through Milestones. So each player gets to stake out his own journey and Great Work, and it's understood between all the players at the table that these are long term goals the characters don't know anything about. It's not ment to be something you rush to complete, but rather a long term path your character will walk. This is what our stories will be about, this is the path this character will walk, and this is what happens when we reach it's destination.

Thoughts?

Edited by Temple

Donor

I've only just picked up Promethean, but there's a lot of aspects that would benefit from more player involvement than control of the Storyteller. Like Wraith, Promethean is a deeply personal game and requires a lot of effort from players.

I'll go into more detail on my opinions when they're fully formed. I'm only 70 pages through the corebook!

Donor

I agree 100% Promethean has always been my favorite of the new WoD games especially since it is completely original having no real predecessor in Old WoD. I've always been a big of the players deciding how their characters end. Not necessarily killing off their characters but arriving at the end of their character's story. It allows the player to get deeply connected to their character and also allows them to decide when it is time for them to retire them. Leaving the chronicle still flowing and growing just like in real life. In real life people, move away, die, get arrested, what have you and the world keeps spinning.

I agree that Milestones should be the same way. The player should decide when something is important and note worthy to their character. In a Promethean game I ran called "The Nature of a Man" The characters we're learning what it meant to be human, and one character actually decided against it, she didn't want any part of a creature that is so self-destructive.

I think the theory behind it is that the storyteller and player collaborate but the storyteller can pick milestones that have specific meaning or require the player to think on their meaning. Whereas a player could easily decide on their own milestones without storyteller intervention then get fussy if it's inappropriate or not feasible for any plethora of reasons.

It's more a safety catch than a STORYTELLER DECIDES ALL thing I believe.

Donor

I think the theory behind it is that the storyteller and player collaborate but the storyteller can pick milestones that have specific meaning or require the player to think on their meaning. Whereas a player could easily decide on their own milestones without storyteller intervention then get fussy if it's inappropriate or not feasible for any plethora of reasons.

It's more a safety catch than a STORYTELLER DECIDES ALL thing I believe.

It's possible so this way you don't have players deciding their own Milestones prematurely to just gain power :rolleyes:

Hadn't thought about it but then again with my gaming group I don't have to worry about that.

Yeah, writing rules and games you always have to allow for the guy who decides to powergame ::'

See, the thing is that whenever people sit down to game, theres always a social contract, an unspoken agreement about how the game is going to pan out and what is and isn't cool.

Most problems at the gaming table happen because this social contract isn't shared or fully understood by all the players at the table.

The thing I see about Milestones is that they are an instrumental part of a character. Its, quite literally, the story being told about that character. As such I think it should be left up to the player to define, rather than being dictated by the GM.

People who would use this to powergame (though I don't think that term applies) obviously aren't on the same page as everyopne else at the table regarding the social contract.

That said, powergaming the Mielstones is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot. When your character has achieved his Milestones, he is effectively removed from play. So a player who designs his Milestones to be easy to fulfill has just made a character who will be removed from play quickly. I think we can all agree that tis isn't fun, and doesn't make for an interesting game.