Red Devil

IT crowd

In my experience roleplayers are mostly Bèta (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology) orientated people. Lots of them are part of the IT crowd and do this to blow of steam. Is this the case with the OWoD/NWoD crowd?

Curator

I'm in IT(kind of) and I game...mostly WoD. :)

Donor

I thought we were going to talk about the TV series :(

Dear Sir/Madam

Fire! Fire!

Looking forward to hearing from you

Maurice Moss

Also, no, I am not in IT. I am very much a military person.

I just noticed that the RPG/CCG crowd usually are people who are working in and/or studying information technology or else mathematics, physics, chemistry or biology and most of them listen to alternative rock, metal, punk or ska. The gamer's archetype so to speak.

Curator

I just noticed that the RPG/CCG crowd usually are people who are working in and/or studying information technology or else mathematics, physics, chemistry or biology and most of them listen to alternative rock, metal, punk or ska. The gamer's archetype so to speak.

engineering . and that type o music, as well as techno.

Donor

Yup. I'm an IT guy.

Curator

I can't stand Math. I'm not too crazy about most sciences. I always have preferred History and Literature in school. While I like the Internet I am most definitely not an IT person. I prefer that old time rock and roll (50s through the 80s).

I thought we were going to talk about the TV series :(

Dear Sir/Madam

Fire! Fire!

Looking forward to hearing from you

Maurice Moss

Win.

The Irish in me is trying to shout "Chris O'Dowd! He's one of ours!"

I do believe you are by and large correct. I had a similar conversation with some friends recently, and we figure that about 90% of the gaming community in our city are involved in IT or one of the sciences.

I fall into a minority, involving myself with Fine Art, jewellery design and metalwork, and performance ^^

I do believe you are by and large correct. I had a similar conversation with some friends recently, and we figure that about 90% of the gaming community in our city are involved in IT or one of the sciences.

I fall into a minority, involving myself with Fine Art, jewellery design and metalwork, and performance ^^

And of course very relaxed and easy going. But I was under the impression that the WoD forum audience is a different audience than the rpg community I refer to. More social sciences instead of natural sciences. And the audience is more into nitpicking then I am used to. RPG'rs I know are more chill and don't take everything that serious (SRS BSNS). But maybe I am having a midlife crisis and I am talking out of my ass.

Donor

I'm an archaeologist.

I could have ended up as anything from marine biologist to professional dancer, though, but then, I doubt I shall stay where I work at the moment, forever - a GW store, helping people paint and play with little plastic toy soldiers.

I think it's quite common for roleplayers to be involved, professionally or otherwise, with IT. After all... there's RPG's for video consoles, there're forums to create worldwide communities of roleplayers, there're games being produced all over the world being played all over the world..... and so on. Internet has a big part to play in this, and computers and all that goes with them, it's really quite a creative thing. Picking them apart, putting them back together, creating new things, playing with old code, new code, games.... and so on.

Donor

And of course very relaxed and easy going. But I was under the impression that the WoD forum audience is a different audience than the rpg community I refer to. More social sciences instead of natural sciences. And the audience is more into nitpicking then I am used to. RPG'rs I know are more chill and don't take everything that serious (SRS BSNS). But maybe I am having a midlife crisis and I am talking out of my ass.

I'm in the IT field, but I hold no great love for it. I play RPG's, honestly, for escapism. I do tend to express opinions about things that I know little to nothing about, however, based upon what "seems reasonable" to me.

I tend to be rather more serious in games than most of the people I play with. Just last night had a near party-wrecking event. While nonsense and randomness tends to amuse me in everyday life, in game I find it difficult to tolerate...a little odd, I suppose...

I am the only IT type in my group - only one properly into "alternative" music too, I was hoping this was about the program which is in fact not a comedy - tis a documentary.

I am the only IT type in my group - only one properly into "alternative" music too, I was hoping this was about the program which is in fact not a comedy - tis a documentary.

That's what I suspected. Were I always played MtG, most of the people there are working in the IT or else they are studying computer science or another Bèta study (Biology, Chemistry) and they are almost all into alternative music and very easy going. I have got the wrong type of people here. Most people here are more into History, Literature etc. and are a little bit too much into the details, a bit nitpicking. I am more a "whatever" guy. Oh I found a fitting video for that.

Donor

I am a scientist. There seem to be a few of those about too. I can drive computers but can't fix them if they break.

I am a scientist. There seem to be a few of those about too. I can drive computers but can't fix them if they break.

[iT crowd joke]

have you tried turning it off and on again?

[/iT crowd joke]

Curator

Win.

The Irish in me is trying to shout "Chris O'Dowd! He's one of ours!"

"You English drink like you don't want to live!"

Personally I'm in the history/literature end of the gaming population. That, and the military end (just).

Although my job is currently manual labour.

A quick buzz of the professions of my gaming group, those that I'm aware of, include Law School Student, Finance, Civil Service, Teacher... I wouldn't say there's not a lot of people with IT/Science interests in gaming, but I'd hesitate to categorise it as the majority - particularly around where I live.

Donor

[iT crowd joke]

have you tried turning it off and on again?

[/iT crowd joke]

<3