Sign in to follow this  
Kalaya

Invictus Politics

Hiya, so I’m in Saturday’s st. Petersburg chronicle - which is awesome btw - but in the last game had a bit of trouble with a younger member of the Invictus dissing my authoritaaay in an Elysium of all places!

Just a bit of a back story, my character was embraced totally accidentally by a young invictus who panicked after killing her entire family in a hunger frenzy. She was at the time an uneducated travelling Romany. Her sire was executed as an example and she was put in the care of her grandsire who was told to "do a better job this time or next time it'll be ur head". the game has so far spanned 20 odd yrs. she has since been educated, ghouled a guy who she's got to run her 4 shops & earned the title patronis invictus etc.

Now as much as I personally would like to chain the little bugger who dissed me to a chair and have a nice calm discussion with him while happening to have my nightmare 2 switched on I don’t feel that would be the right way to deal with him, if I killed him or ruined his status in the mortal world (as he's a mem of the aristocracy) it would only weaken the invictus. so I’m looking for some ideas on what I can do to the lil brat to remind him to respect his superiors without resorting to physical violence or having to run to someone higher up the food chain for backup. Any ideas guys?

It would seem that he publically humiliated you. So I would say that you would need to get a public appology from him in Elysium. Untill then, make his life hell. I don't think you need to kill him or ruin him entirly, but make an example that you won't tolerate insults to your face.

Before I give you ideas however, a little information on your resources both external (allies, coterie, boon uncollected etc.) and internal (skills, clan, Disciplines etc.) would be helpful.

Edited by Gurkhal

Donor

A challenge to authority must always be met lest you be seen as weak and unfit to wield said authoritah. I'd concur, a public apology would seem to be a good place to start. Dig dirt, work boons, make their unlife hell. Better however to understand why they did what they did and use that to your advantage.

Being an invictus to me is very much about seeing plans within plans, a point elders know all too well (see: paranoia 101). Has some third party used them to weaken you so they can move against you in the Lansrad. On the face of it they as underlings have much to loose and gain, but maybe they are taking the risk because of a shadowy deep throat blackmailer. If they are acting for themselves then what is their aim (other than to gain prestige by your defamation), could there be a pre existing but unknown grievance?

Either way you must be publicly be seen to gain the upper hand, and quickly. Note here any specific laws enforced by the Prince and or Invictus as to acceptable and non acceptable methods of retaliation. You have status and would have seen power plays before. In this instance (read Marcus Aurelius) i'd request your status to be added to an intelligence + politics roll (or wits + empathy depending) to discern the nature of the attack.

If there is a third party at work, investigate and crush them (simpler to do if said investigation is done quietly) then publicly force a boon from the whelp in Elysium for releasing them from their blackmailers. The balance is maintained, you are a boon up, had the wits to see the attack for what it was and have maintained and possibly gained prestige depending how you handle the situation. This as well as the loss of face by the whelp is kept to a minimum and have gained a pliable tool to be used further down the line.

On a side note vigilance that this does not happen again is extremely important. If this cat calling happens again but from a different whelp then this could be an organized or multifaceted power play, and the possibility of it spiraling out of control extremely rapidly would be a major issue as young career Invictus hungrily descend upon you to politically plunge stakes into your back, possibly at the behest of their mentors/allies/sires/clan. It could just be a higher up (possibly your own mentor/sire) in the Invictus is testing you, and has sent their cats paw to keep you sharp and maintain your right to have said authoritah. "Yes I am challenging your authority, what are you going to do about it, just remember I'm Aristocracy, overcome my gambit or I'll take the authority you presume to call your own"

A lot of this depends what your character would do of course.

His problem with me is that my character is roma, she was a total accident. she was sired by the child of the master of Elysium, who was then executed for his crime then her grandsire was forced to be her mentor but now has nothing to do with her... the guy's just being a lil shit coz she's worked her way up the ranks and has respect while he's an unpopular lil git... the fact I also suspect him for getting my prime feeding grounds closed down is also nagging at me. My character valentina is kind of the black sheep of the invictus, where she has risen in the ranks and is doing quite well financially but as I’m incapable of subtlety seeing it as a pointless waste of time that has leaked thru to the character. She’s a nos with vigor, obfuscate and nightmare. the rest of the covenant seem to think I have to sort it out myself but where I had mental images of standing outside his home which he still shares with his mortal family laughing manically silhouetted by the flames etc etc... We’re in the middle of a war with shape shifters sniping at us from the south of the city and the carthians gaining power from the north plus (which is awesome coz it's late 1800s in st petersburg) the new primogen council are at each others throats since the prince was dethroned..... (it's a fricking awesome game!!!)

when I tried to shut him up when he challenged my authoritay in the Elysium we ended up getting into a screaming row which very nearly resulted in me/her going for him, so I need a bit of help with the subtlety which is quite annoying as I’d some plans involving an orphanarium which have been derailed because of this :P

btw sorry for how long it took me to reply i'm almost finished moving house so please excuse any bad english or spelling mistakes... brain no work well sleep without

This is how I see it, yeah I know its a bit late but better late than never. Of course I don't know how you and your ST envision the Invictus, so maybe not everything can be done right, but hopefully you'll get some ideas.

You have simply got to take this guy down and make sure others see it. If you as an Invictus allows some little asshole like push you around, and you a black sheep to boot, you are risking everything you have in the covenant. If you don't want to be subtle, don't be subtle. Hunt him down, and break every fuck bone in his body, and tell that unless he gets his ass to Elysium at next court and prostarte and ask for your apology (which should be only a few nights away to make sure he don't get time to cause to much trouble) you're going to come back and finish him off, tear his balls right off and choke them down his throat. Make a real fuck example of him, so that no one ever dares to go against you.

Or just buy him out. Have him and his family crushed beneath an economical bulldozer and hunt him from haven to haven, feeding ground to feeding ground while you flex your ecnomical muscles and make his unlife a fucking pain.

Once he gets his ass to Elysium, then make him suffer. Make him fuck crawl on the ground and lick your feet. Humiliate him like nothing seen before so that every one knows what's waiting for the next stupied fuck that tries to cross you. If you can't play subtile, make an example by force.

lmao... love the violence! was tempted to burn his family home down with them in it (seeing at humanity 2 i'm going downhill fast)

but i went the whole politics route and in the end profited financially from his attempt to screw me over, after stalking him for a while. the main reason for that is she's becoming obsessed with investigating some stuff that's going on in the city (think mel gibson in conspiracy theory) with everything up on the wall of her haven piecing everything together with coloured threads (also has picked up 2 derrangements). i'd say the invictus will be fkd shortly as it's st.petersburg @ the end of the 1800s