Sign in to follow this  
Galen

Eclipse Phase

Your mind is software. Program it.

Your body is a shell. Change it.

Death is a disease. Cure it.

Extinction is approaching. Fight it.

Eclipse Phase is an open-source tabletop roleplaying game of transhuman conspiracy and horror. What that means is that the game's core book is free to be distributed over the internet - links at the bottom of my post.

Now, on to the game. Firstly, the setting. HOLY SHIT THE SETTING IS AMAZING. Ok, it may be full of stuff we're used to seeing in ultramodern sci-fi, but not in RPG's. There's a lot of stuff going on in the future, man is exiled from earth by robotic death machines (mostly by transferring our minds over a computer network to space colonies) but here's the thing - we can put our minds into custom-made new bodies. Humanity is on the verge of extinction, relatively speaking, and these killer "Seed AI's" just dissappeared, leaving the ruins of earth abandoned. There are possibly a billion people colonizing the rest of the solar system and a handful of exoplanets reached through dimensional gates. Among the things we have colonized is THE MOTHERFUCKING SUN, after engineering ourselves into lifeforms capable of surviving on the polar regions of the sun. This is technology on levels that borders magic. Whats more, there is evidence of aliens with technology far in advance of ours. Memetic Warfare, Post-Scarcity economies, Singularities - all that stuff is in here

Now, as for the system. It's a percentile based system, combat is extremely lethal - but the good news is that the death of your body is usually not the end. In fact, there are few things that can cause permanent death in this game, but there are perhaps worse possible fates out there. All in all the engine is playable, but not great.

Links removed by Azrael the 7th Murderer.

Donor

I've seen it, looks god damn amazing. Might well see about running a game of it at some point.

Donor

I don't think it's freely available.

DTRPG link.

Official Website.

Sorry, but I'm taking down your links for legal reasons.

Also, Open Source applies to software, not books. That's the Creative Commons.

Donor

Eclipse Phase is indeed Creative Commons.

Donor

Eclipse Phase is indeed Creative Commons.

Hmm good point. Just checked out the permissions attributed and it looks ok.

Creative Commons imply that it can be freely distributed. BUT, I suggest putting down some monies to the good folks who made the damn thing. Ya know, for us to get supplements.