Von Doom

Dollhouse

Donor

Dollhouse - A short, general review of the series

Dollhouse. A series many people projected would meet the same fate as Angel whose ending was rushed due to cancellation and, a more fitting example, Firefly. A series that died far too soon and will always remain in my heart. After all, who is showing Dollhouse once again? Fox. Yes, the guys who cancelled Firefly. And, incidentally, Futurama. Luckily they apparently have new people in charge, so Dollhouse looks like it'll continue on, for now.

Eliza Dushku, prominently known as the darker counterpart to Buffy, Faith the Vampire Slayer, plays Echo, a so-called 'Doll'. Like an unknown but fairly large number of other people she is part of an organisation called simply 'The Dollhouse'. She and her peers are, effectively, blank slates. Her mind has been deleted and is continually overwritten with new personalities and memories, as this is the service the Dollhouse provides: to give their costumers exactly who they need. When not on missions these 'Dolls' are imprinted with a docile, child-like and very innocent personality.

Effectively, Eliza Dushku portrays a different person in every episode due to this premise, sometimes more. The episodes usually follow her missions, though there is an underlying plot about a male 'Doll' called 'Alpha' who went rogue, slaughtered a couple of Dollhouse Agents and is still missing. Plus, a police detective is obsessed with the idea of 'The Dollhouse' and seeks to uncover their doings.

Overall, it's a very good series. Some people complain about it, but the reason escapes me. Dushku's performance is excellent and the characters are likable. I could easily imagine something like The Dollhouse existing in the World of Darkness, perhaps run by the Technocracy -- after all, these 'Dolls' can be anyone.

Dollhouse - A short, general review of the series

Overall, it's a very good series. Some people complain about it, but the reason escapes me. Dushku's performance is excellent and the characters are likable.

I don't really get it either. The acting is well done, the premise is awesome and I agree that Eliza Dushku is very talented to be able to play so many different characters in the span of a single series.

The only real difference (apart from most of the obvious ones) between Dollhouse and Buffy/Angel/Firefly is the action, or lack there of (though I've never seen Angel I can assume it's similar to Buffy). Both BtVS and Firefly had large amounts of action in them, and although Dollhouse has had it's moments, it's more of a psychological show. Sort of like the Matrix without the martial arts and gun fights...mostly.

Of course, I've never actually talked to anyone that doesn't like the show so this is pure conjecture and it may not fit everyone or anyone for that matter.

Donor

Might have to check it out. In saying that I HATE both Buffy and Angel, everything about those series I despise...

Curator

I've been watching it since it started. I love it. Damn awesome show. And last nights episode was great! And damn it, next week is the season finale?

Might have to check it out. In saying that I HATE both Buffy and Angel, everything about those series I despise...

The only thing you may not like is that the actress who played Faith in BtVS (Eliza Dushku; I don't know if you got that far) is the main character, but other than that, it has very little in common with Buffy/Angel

Donor

(Von Doom @ Apr 29 2009, 10:29 AM)
Overall, it's a very good series. Some people complain about it, but the reason escapes me.

I've not seen the show, so I only know from hear-say. But if you're really stumped as to why people complain then this might help clear things up:

http://download.penny-arcade.com/podcast/T...tes_Dilemma.mp3

(Skip ahead to about 8:33 unless you want to hear some unrelated discussion of videogames.)

Donor

I would categorize this show as fairly mediocre with a few pockets of "Holy crap, that's the best thing I've seen on TV in a while". The potential in the show is amazing. The actors are really good (though I find the lead to be one of the least compelling characters/actresses). The metaplot is fascinating, but on a show-by-show basis the quality is extremely variable.

Donor

The only thing you may not like is that the actress who played Faith in BtVS (Eliza Dushku; I don't know if you got that far) is the main character, but other than that, it has very little in common with Buffy/Angel

Ah ok. Yeah she's hot but doesn't appear to act particularly amazingly, but thats ok. To be honest, and its a risky thing to say on a roleplaying game forum, I don't really get Joss Whedon or his work. Its all a bit pulpy and camp for my liking, a bit too comic booky or something...maybe its just that I really, really, really hate Buffy so its tainted all his other stuff...makes me think of Xena or Hercules, just B grade shite basically, but I've heard Firefly was really good and haven't seen it so yeah, I might have missed his best work to be fair

Donor

What? Good sir, are you implying by chance that comic books are pulpy and camp? *pulls his glove off* I demand satisfa-okay, no, I'm kidding.

The best thing about Joss Whedon during Buffy times were the dialogues (well, and Hush.) Hercules and Xena had some interesting stuff, too, but I admit they were pretty cheap. Bruce Campbell as Autolycus, the King of Thieves, will always be awesome, though.

I've heard Firefly was really good and haven't seen it so yeah, I might have missed his best work to be fair

Yes, you are most certainly missing his best work. Firefly is incredible, that knd of incredible that you don't get from a show normally, it's just that everything came together just right to make the show amazing.

Donor

What? Good sir, are you implying by chance that comic books are pulpy and camp? *pulls his glove off* I demand satisfa-okay, no, I'm kidding.

The best thing about Joss Whedon during Buffy times were the dialogues (well, and Hush.) Hercules and Xena had some interesting stuff, too, but I admit they were pretty cheap. Bruce Campbell as Autolycus, the King of Thieves, will always be awesome, though.

Heheheh...

Oh and Bruce Campbell is always awesome, even when he's not (IE: that show he had to himself thats name escapes me right now).

Yes, you are most certainly missing his best work. Firefly is incredible, that knd of incredible that you don't get from a show normally, it's just that everything came together just right to make the show amazing.

Well I guess I better check it out then. Ive been told off by several of my friends already for not watching it so its probably high time I did...

You will not be sorry, I'm sure of that. The only really disappointing thing about Firefly is that there isn't another season. Though be sure to watch Serenity after that. Though it's not as good as the show (nor does it have the awesome theme song), it does wrap up a lot of loose ends and answers a lot of questions the show leaves us with.

Donor

Heheheh...

Oh and Bruce Campbell is always awesome, even when he's not (IE: that show he had to himself thats name escapes me right now).

Jack of All Trades, perhaps?