Joslyn

Sidereals as as PC's and not NPCS?

me and the hubby are both in agreement that sidereals just aren't good PC's. To me at least they scream "the boring background character pulling the strings." not "the character worth playing."

We look at sidereals as being fairfolk light. they "shape" fate, fair folk shape the wyld. And like fair folk the sidereals have their own limitaions when it comes to weaving fate. Such as the underworld. But really i'd rather play fair folk then sidereals any day.

Now onto my question! How do you play sidereals, if you do please explain how you make them more then just background noise. I'm really curious.

Sidereals can be interpreted as agents to a higher power, with the fate-manipulation thing being one of their methodology rather than their sole focus...

Now that I think about it, Sidereals resound to the eastern concept of heroism rather than any other. Their heroism is in that they are individually powerful but yet humble themselves to the established status quo and/or idealized system. When the circumstances demand, they are ready to sacrifice themselves and give up their personal desires/needs for a greater goal which may or may not be immediately noticeable.

Curator

Sidereals have a lot more flexibility than they're given credit for.

Ever wanted to play the Men in Black? James Bond? The Exalted SWAT squad? Sidereals can do that. They're fucking Fate Ninjas. Run a game where they get their missions from above to go and deal with rogue deamons. Infiltrate deathknight strongholds. Rescue important prisoners. Fuck up shit epicly.

Or you can play a more subtle Smiley's People-esque game. The long game of collecting information, manipulating people, putting the evidence together as you try to work out the plans of the Great and not so Good and then get Creation's fragmented forces to meet them.

You can play office politics in heaven. Or you can go nowhere near and play a Ronin struggling to understand his purpose and make a difference while avoiding the manipulative bastards above. You can play the conflict between a Sidereal's desires and their duties, for they have the strongest duties in Creation. Struggle to control your Solar charges, plot to bolster the realm, guide the Silver Faction into a power, rise as the leader of the Five Score Fellowship demanding allegiance to their duty and their duty only.

And so on. And mash them up, mix them around.

Honestly, I don't get people who say they don't see Sidereals as PCs. They're quirky PCs sure but they're quirky in all they do. And they rock.

I'd rank Sidereals considerably above fair folk in terms of what they can do..

Sidereals are the tactical Exalted, the thoughtful, planning-based Exalted.. they don't have as much raw awesome as the other celestials, true, but they compensate by tweaking the odds in their favour. They certainly do far more than just manipulating fate, they're still Exalted and thus still awesome superheroes - they're just superheroes with far more wierd and esoteric powers who benefit from planning ahead and throwing in the odd orchestrated 'cheat'.

That and their elders can destroy armies by punching the air, or create a mini-nuclear blast from which they emerge in some scary god-form from beyond the threshold of reality, or just make someone's arms fall off by punching them. I think that's pretty awesome.

Edited by the giant mantis

First: Sidereals don't play well with others. If you want to run them as PCs, they really deserve a game of their own.

Second: You have to like bureaucratic politics. I'd recommend investing in the Yu Shan book, though you can make due with the Sidereal book alone.

Third: As an ST, you have to be good at manipulating your players (as well as the PCs). You have to know how they think so that when you start mucking about with fate they fall into your neatly planned predictions.

First: Sidereals don't play well with others. If you want to run them as PCs, they really deserve a game of their own.

Second: You have to like bureaucratic politics. I'd recommend investing in the Yu Shan book, though you can make due with the Sidereal book alone.

Third: As an ST, you have to be good at manipulating your players (as well as the PCs). You have to know how they think so that when you start mucking about with fate they fall into your neatly planned predictions.

Yeah they dont play well at all we noticed.

I never liked politcs of any form could be why the game just doesnt intrest me, and playing it seems lame.

The ST is great at manipulating characters, and even better at knowing us and how we will react in game. Its just a complicated game, we figured we'd just leave them be for ease of game

the biggest thing about playing sidereal are the factions, they can play jsut fine with other exalted, they are just best suited to play in an all sidereal game, much like solars, and lunars and etc, are best sutied to play in games with just that kind of exalted.

Gold faction sidereal can play just fine with solars' Bronze faction not so much, LOL

same with silver, iron, brass faction's ;-) and their respective exalted ;-)

gold= solar

bronze=dragon blooded

Silver= lunar

Iron=abyssal

brass=infernal

not other than the gold and bronze the remaining factions have maybe 1-2 members at most LOL

a gold faction sidereal see solar's as jobs and investments, and friends at times,

but mostly they are the ones that symbolize the sidereal motto of *dance puppet's dance*

you can guesstimate the rest of the factions,

but int eh end all sidereal work for someone above them.

they have their own free will, but when it comes down to it, they are "in for life"

and yes while the lack the sheer awesomeness that the other exalted have, they actually get it later in the progression.

they are tactically awesome instead of sheer awesome, and then when they get SMA their sheer awesomeness comes out.

Sidereal are not for players that don't like to think outside the box or combo charms. since sidereal NEEd to be able to do this, or math for that matter when it comes to doing sidereal astrology.

honestly they are more of a exotic thing in games, that should be given to players that don't mind complicated characters.

Donor

Go watch Burn Notice, or a James Bond film. That's how to do a fun Sidereal PC.

I'm running an online Exalted game with some people. My Solar players weren't able to join due to schedule conflicts, and ironically enough, this didn't matter with the only two non-Solars that I allowed. One of these is an Anklok, and the other is an Independent (no faction) Chosen of Secrets. Honestly, I was worried about the quality of the game when I first decided to just run with them rather than waiting on people that clearly wouldn't be able to make it. I was pleantly surprised.

It all started with the pair of them being sent on an errand for none other than Nara-O. Word had finally leaked out enough that he heard of a mysterious group around Nexus called the Watchers. Although the only secrets that he's directly linked to are those shared only between two people, he has enough pull to garner nearly any information that he needs. There was simply NOTHING to be found on them, beyond the fact that they exist. There's a long story that I won't get into here, but sufficed to say, it worked out that the Watchers are an Assembly of Alchemicals that were left behind by Autochthon when he left. Their entire purpose was to monitor Creation and to occasionally check with his Probe (The Eye of Autochthon) to see if he's near returning and has other instructions for them. Other than this, they were expressly forbidden from interfering.

This has launched into a rather cool storyline whereby this Dragon King and Sidereal have agreed to help these Alchemicals (not that they fully trust them, and the Sidereal is constantly debating if they should be destroyed since they serve a Primordial - despite which Primordial it is) to regain the Eye of Autochthon.

They aren't exactly alone in searching for it now that it's become known that the Eye is **somewhere**. Certain of the Deathlords want to experiment with it to see what power it might give their Underworld forces. Others want to hurl it into the Mouth of the Void in the hopes that this would also hurt, if not kill, Autochthon. A Green Sun Prince wants to take it back to Malfeas and present it to the Ebon Dragon. Lookshy wants to keep it the hell out of everyone's hands. Desparate Dynasts want to use it to assume control over the entire Dynasty, a Solar wants it as a weapon to turn on the Realm, the Gold Faction want to destroy it so that it can't be used against their Solar charges, and the Bronze faction want to use it to lure power-hungry Anathema into the open and kill them. Everyone wants it. You get the idea.

Meanwhile, of course, there are other side plots brewing such as the civil war in the Realm, local power struggles, and more. There's simply nothing that the characters can do without allowing some other problem to grow, so they have to pick and choose wisely. No matter what, there's plenty of plot brewing, and between the Sidereal and the Dragon-King, they're both pretty well-adapted to what's going on.

The Dragon-King has just become an Ochilik warrior with probably the near-nastiest diety to make the link: Five Days' Darkness. They're also about to learn of the Mask of Winters' plans to send some Deathknights over to enlist the aid of Han-Tha the Ghoul King, and to use an Abyssal version of the Solar Charm that trains Dragon Kings so that they can raise an army of such who are capable Necromancers and use them to help in his plans for further conquest.

Meanwhile, there are all sorts of other players who they get to aid, oppose, and manipulate as best suits their needs. I just can't wait for the Alchemicals book so that I can work out how best to handle the emergence of the "normal" Alchemical Exalted. :)

Donor

I know this thread isn't really about game mechanics, but if you do end up using Sidereal PCs I recommend using this errata: http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Answers14

Even with that I'd recommend changing Violet Bier of Sorrows Style to this fan version here: http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=11111197&postcount=155

Necro powers!

*cough* yes sorry...We just picked up the MOEP Sidereals, and hubby is hard pressed to get me to play x.x but my god just reading the book is mind numbing to me. I like manipulating situations and people in game, but its so much more fun as say an Ebon dragon infernal or an eclipse caste solar...I'm honestly trying to like sidereals, but something about it just isnt my cup of tea.(even though according to my husband I would make a perfect Journeys caste, and after reading it I do agree, but that doesnt make me want to play it.) I think it just feels too...secretive and I HATEHATEHATE stealth anything..and that includes not being remembered.. I love making an impact in the world positive or negitive depending on motivations and have creation take notice of who/what caused it..as a sidereal well I dont see that being well possible.

I find some of the prophecies interesting though, and some of the fluff.

Question though! I thought the Sidereals did not know about the exsistance of the Infernals so how is there a faction to them? Is this answered in the MOEP for sidereals or brought up in infernals? (I have both books but i'm honestly just to lazy to read the entire thing looking for one tiny bit of info, my attention span sucks and even if it is there i would more then likely overlook it. haha)

They don't know about the GSP's but they do have conventions on infernals(akuma) and of course Sidereals have been fighting against demons and other Yozis agents for some time.

Curator

Basically, if you want to be the big damn hero that everyone sees and remembers, Sidereals are pretty much not for you. Not without a few hacks, and that's something you and your man are best placed to settle on.

Basically, if you want to be the big damn hero that everyone sees and remembers, Sidereals are pretty much not for you. Not without a few hacks, and that's something you and your man are best placed to settle on.

+1 to this.

Just to add though, Sidereals are big damn heroes in Yu Shan, and people do keep track of their achievements. Just not mortals. Also, other Exalted and supernatural beings with high MDVs, perception and awareness are going to have an easier time keeping track of them.

But yeah, most of the time when they act it's hidden behind a resplendent destiny, so people don't remember the awesome hero who showed up at exactly the right time and saved them from certain death with his starmetal daiklaive. They just remember a generic soldier.

Edited by the giant mantis

well I see what you guys are saying x.x

I did however suck it up and make a sidereal last night... and I think i may enjoy it....will find out later today when we play

Chosen of secrets, with actual dots in stealth(LOL i say that cause i never in almost any game take stealth or larceny), with a motivation thats borders on obscence? She wants the maiden of secrets job o0 not for anything more then she would LOVE to know the things she knows but doesnt share. and be the maiden of secrets who learns of said secrets to pass the knowledge onto others in some form.

Okay soooo my character sounds..silly looking at it typed up like that but trust me it sounded cool to me at 4 in the morning after playing a solar game XD

Well after all my whining and avoidence of sidereals after a week of play(yes we play nightly XD ) I am officially well in love with it T_T Its structured and MUCH easier to stay focused on goals etc. Which I tend um not to do well in Solars etc. Though I got fed up with Yu-shan..and am currently am "dead" and on a super secret misson to find out about the yozis plans for Yu-shan. Hubby decided to have demons attack the loom(not now but in the future) and gave me a glimpse of that future in my dreams outside of fate or not, he blamed it on my fae blood, saying that the small bit of the wyld in me with enough focus can pick up small things everynow and then. Not sure if its cannon but he also allows scrying in the wyld to divine the future of things outside of fate, given its no easy task.

I currently have a small home within the wyld, that I spend time in planning for the worst case scenario. Living in the wyld has the huge upside of no one being able to easily figure out whats going on. The downside being that people have been getting suspious of me :( I have kept my visions secret, as per a charm telling me it should be kept that way. (auspicous prospects of secrets). Cept for one person who i considered safe enough to bring into it since it was kinda hard to explain why we were attacked by an exalted of a type we've never seen before without explanation XD andI have a Solar who i am helping along in learning, in hopes he can be the tipping stone in saving the loom and the many sidereals I saw die. But the damn solar is a MASSIVE pain in the ass and caution has to be used around him to ensure he doesnt cause to much trouble and stays in line but for the most part I allow him his freedom, but keep him on a leash by holding back information so he actually wants to come back.

And if you cant tell I am taking this game far more seriously then my previous post :) My motivation was outright riduculous and I changed it when I realized I actually enjoyed the game.

For not liking stealthy games and disguses I am finding great fun in doing things all quiet like and enjoying the fact I dont have to be noticed unless I try. I even am loving the martial arts tree o0 which in every other exalted game I avoided claiming it was stupid and pointless when I could instead just hit things with a massive sword and call it good and dead. But the sideral martial arts are so full of win its hard not to love em..I'm currently working on Quicksilver hands of Dreams style(mostly cause I BEGGED hubby to find a way in game to allow me to learn it cause I was so caught in how cool in was o0 I really just need to give in and play Fair folk...seriously.. )

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.