Sign in to follow this  
MrGonev5

Death Note

Curator

So, I've been watching this anime called Death Note. Has anyone seen it before? If not, you should check it out(and this comes from someone who really isn't that into anime). Its about the kid who finds a notebook called The Death Note. Anyone who's name is written in this notebook will die. He can also add in a date, time and cause of death...

He decides to use this notebook to kill criminals and ultimately to change the world and set himself up a god. The police, with the help of a mysterious investigator named L start on the case to figure out who the killer is, and stop him.

Its been pretty interesting so far(I'm only 8 episodes in), but I highly recommend the show.

I was...unimpressed with it. Decent storyline but it was just meh to me.

Donor

The anime has nothing on the 12-book manga series. I'd definitely recommend reading it, rather than watching it.

Curator

I was...unimpressed with it. Decent storyline but it was just meh to me.

Really? I've been loving it! Granted, I'm not all the way through it..but so far, its been awesome. But, I love stories that build like this...

The anime has nothing on the 12-book manga series. I'd definitely recommend reading it, rather than watching it

I might have to check it out sometime then.

Donor

The anime has nothing on the 12-book manga series. I'd definitely recommend reading it, rather than watching it.

Agreed. The Anime is good, yes, I can't deny that... But the comic? I find it far more impressive.

I was expecting something a bit more action oriented I guess. My fault for not researching it before renting I suppose.

Curator

Ahhh...yea, this isn't really action packed. Reminds me of a chess game in some respects.

I loved the series, even though it did go really down hill after you-know-when. Amazing peak right before that though.

Getting the movies on DVD for christmas hopefully. The manga, a little expensive, but hopefully will read eventually.

I stumbled upon that "Another Note" novel a couple of days ago, about someone else finding a Death Note. Sounds interesting, always wondered about that.

Curator

I stumbled upon that "Another Note" novel a couple of days ago, about someone else finding a Death Note. Sounds interesting, always wondered about that.

That could be cool, tho..

In the last episode I saw its been revealed that there someone else who also possesses a Death Note and wants to meet Kira.

Donor

No, the "Another Note" is supposedly a prequel story about L investigating a case in Los Angeles. I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, however.

The second person who owns a Note is... unique. ^.^

Curator

Ohhhh....well, thats cool then.

I can't to see where this all goes. In the last(or second to last) episodes, L totally freaked at the word Shinigomi....thought that was interesting.

Curator

I've heard a lot of only good things about it.

Donor

Anyone who likes Deathnote should check out this particular VGCats Strip. Trust me on this.
VGCats: Judgmental

Donor

The ending was rather dissapointing...

I mean seriously, Light did the whole

"RAR I AM A VILLAN HERE IS MY CUNNING PLAN NOW YOU WILL DIE!"

"Actually no i won't"

"WAIT WHAT?!"

where as up until that point in the series he wouldn't have done that until he was sure 10 ways to sunday that said person was going to die

horribly

possibly in a fire or by hanging themselves after writing a suicide note that insults their parents

i did love the show for being so rediculously epic though

post-1025-1234509033_thumb.jpg

Curator

Anyone who likes Deathnote should check out this particular VGCats Strip. Trust me on this.

VGCats: Judgmental

Thats great!!

I'm nearly done with the series. I'm waiting on one more dvd(volume 9) and then I'll have seen the whole series. So far, its been awesome.

Oh, I watched the Live Action Death Note movie. I thought it was awesome that for the english dub, they used the same voice cast they used for the series. Now I need to watch the 2nd Death Note movie(which I got yesterday) and the 3rd one(that I have a bootleg of).

Personally I thought the anime was amazing, and it was very well done and certainly a great adaptation. I personally though have not read the manga yet. though one of these days I will read it.

I must agree. Light had a horrible death. He should of saw everything atleast slightly coming. My guess is that the Anime people figured "Well we will kill light because evil is not allowed to win" I will have to read the manga to figure out if that guess is wrong or not though.

I was very caught on Death note when it came up and actually started to get my way trough the japanese comics because the german translations took so long. Also, the animation of the anime was very good for a TV-series. But in the end I was very dissappointed. Don´t want to give away the fun, but for me personally, the manga should have ended with the events of Volume 7. Everything after that was just a little to much for me to actually believe. I think the author of the story must have lost track of it herself somewhere on the way, sadly.

The Live Action Movies on the other hand were great fun. I love the first movie, the second was OK and "L - Change the word" was hilariously weird and silly, but totally priceless for any fan of L out there.

But generally speaking, this comic artist is totally awesome. He usually doesn´t write the stories for his comics but coops with writers. Before he did Death Note he made a manga named "Hikaro no Go" (Hikaru´s Go) which is about the japanese game of Go (imagine something like chess). Totally uninteresting, one would think, but the series really works. I guess he can make a great adventure out of everything...!

Curator

I was very caught on Death note when it came up and actually started to get my way trough the japanese comics because the german translations took so long. Also, the animation of the anime was very good for a TV-series. But in the end I was very dissappointed. Don´t want to give away the fun, but for me personally, the manga should have ended with the events of Volume 7. Everything after that was just a little to much for me to actually believe. I think the author of the story must have lost track of it herself somewhere on the way, sadly.

For me, I thought it should have ended

with the death of L

Everything after that was ok...but I really think it could have ended there and been awesome.

Exactly my point. I see we share the same opinion.

Curator

Yup. Great minds and all.

Donor

yeah... the real ending wsa just so....

Stupid

I mean, the whole thing relied on the fact that Near knew that Light knew that Near knew that Light knew that Near knew.... and then Light violating the first rule of villany by gloating over his enemy's doom

All in all just too much of an overkill. Sadly.

That´s why I prefer Naoki Urasawas manga (Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto). His plots are complicated and clever, but they make *sense*, AND he has great characters, heroes and villains alike. If you want a good manga to think about that´s what I´d recommend.