Sign in to follow this  
MrGonev5

City of Ember

Curator

Just got back from seeing it. Wow, it was pretty awesome!

Basically, the world is on the brink of disaster, so the world bands together and builds an underground city. They decided to populate it young people, who will have no notions of what they are missing. They set things up so the city will survive for 200 years, and after that the world should be fine again to support life on the surface. They have a box which contains instructions for exiting the city, which will be passed from Mayor to Mayor until the timer on the box reaches zero, and the the instructions can be read.

Eventually tho, a Mayor dies before he can pass on the box, and it becomes lost....the movie opens with the 200 years well passed and the city falling apart...

I thought it was great! It had a great look to it, and the little bits of technology they had were great, with everything having a tiny bit of a steampunkish look to them. Its not really steampunk as you think of it, but it seemed derived from that. Nah, thats not right...maybe Machine Age tech is what I'm thinking about.

Anyway, I highly recommend the movie. It was great!

Donor

My wife just saw it and said it was pretty good as well. Apparently it was very close to the book, though the ultimate fate of the mayor at the end was a bit different.

Side notes:

We listened to the book on tape during a long trip. Neat story, but the narrator was pretty abysmal.

Also the book is the first in a trilogy (soon to be a 4 book series I hear). The others are "People of Sparks" and "Prophet of Yonwood" (a prequel). Never got around to reading the rest myself, though Adrienne says the second and third sadly turned out not to be as interesting as the first.

Curator

The fourth books is out and is called: The Diamond of Darkhold.

I haven't read any of them, but I think I might have to get em.

But yea, I thought it was cool, and I'm glad to hear it was pretty close to the book.