Sign in to follow this  
Dataweaver

Hephaesteans

• Prometheus was the Titan who stole the divine fire from the Gods and gave it to mankind.
  • Pandora was the woman who let loose upon mankind all manner of evils, in retribution for what Prometheus had done.
  • Hephaestus was the god of the creative fire and of the forge, who bound Prometheus after his theft.

Saturnine Night deals with the concept of mad science in the World of Darkness; but it does so primarily in terms of the products of mad science, and only briefly touches upon its creators - and then only in the very narrow sense of the creators of the Prometheans. I'd like to expand on that idea here, and come up with a playable "mad scientist" character type. Warning: this is a work in progress, even less complete than is usual for me. Please bear this in mind when providing feedback: in particular, suggestions are very welcome.

The core of this idea is that the Hephaestean is to the Promethean as the ghoul is to the vampire, or as the Proximus (as described in Silver Ladder) is to the the mage: he is a mortal who has the fire of inspiration burning within his soul. Take that poetically or literally, as you see fit; the results are the same: the Hephaestean has a creative genius that lets him produce impossible wonders; but he also has a disturbing tendency toward obsession and insanity. He rarely ends well.

As a lesser template, the Hephaestean is entirely Merit-based: there is no power stat. His primary "power" is the ability to produce machines and concoctions that can do the impossible. He can learn Promethean Transmutations; but only with great difficulty, and only for the purpose of determining what his innovations can do. If he has any other "powers", they're strictly mental in nature, such as a photographic memory or extreme perceptiveness; and the more he has, the more unstable he becomes.

I'm thinking of adapting the Superscience system from Adventure for this, but with a dark twist: the process of invention takes a toll on the Hephaestean's sanity. Exact mechanics still need to be determined...

Donor

Mmmh interesting idea...

I think it should be enough to give the person access to some Promethean Transmutations, although they will be incredibly hard without Azoth.

Maybe you could even give them a whole new Transmutation category related to building machines...

I want to see where this is going!

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a fangame called Genius: the Transgression, which can be found here.

Genius was one of the inspirations for this. But it isn't what I want; my goal has been to come up with something about mad scientists that conforms to the metaphysics of Promethean. The idea of mortals who are capable of wielding the Divine Fire through the things that they make appeals to me; thus the Hephaestians.

I worked on this concept further on the White Wolf forums, and posted my results on Axis Tenebrae. Unfortunately, I've since been distracted from the project by Real Life and other concerns, and haven't finished it.

As Azoth is the divine fire that promises life (I've not read the book in a long time so bear with me if I am simply outright wrong :pinch: ) how would they channel it? Would they have to create a familiar in a similar fashion to creating a promethean to have a 'vessel' to draw from? Would they have to have a graft gifted to them from a promethean as a means? A part-swap perhaps? Maybe their powers could be linked to the specific promethean who granted them their gift so it's' in their best interest to prevent them achieving their transformation? Would they cause mild disquiet?