Joslyn

wraith crash course...

So I dont have a hard copy of the wraith book, and PDF's hurt my eyes something awful, I've read alot on the wraith wiki, and i've learned a bit by reading the wraith novels. But what i need is a crash course on wraith.

I have a story thought up now with a bit of help from people here :) and i cant really fully run it till i understand the game more. (I could half ass it but...e.e that would just be bad and turn out wrong.) so what are the most important things to know before i delve into storytelling a wraith game?

Donor

*laugh* Well, you don't ask for much, do you? ;)

...You know what? Gimme a minute here to dig up the threads from the Month of Wraith, and then I'll see what's left to explain.

Donor

Joslyn, I've dug up threads from the old Month of Wraith, when we discussed a number of aspects of the Wraith game. The links to those threads are:

The Hierarchy

Guilds and Renegades

The Shadow

Transcendence

Oblivion

Aha, and I knew I wrote too much at some point about the basics of how you put a wraith together (though perhaps you won't need that, as I recall that you've played the game before):

http://www.shadownessence.com/forum/index....showtopic=23210

Also, check up in the Pinned Topics, as I just added a couple of things there you might find useful. I'm using this as an excuse to tidy up the Wraith forum as well as hopefully help you out. :)

thanks a lot! I'll be giving all of these a read here in a bit..got a splitting headache right now lol

i try not to ask to much but hey cant help but ask questions :)

oops sorry! Mindnsoul is my husband..he was logged in on his account and i forgot to check before i posted..anyways what i posted with mindnsouls account was what i meant to say as me.

sorry for the confusion!

Donor
:D Seriously, it's cool. I was just ragging on you. Feel free to come back and ask questions about anything you feel you didn't get enough information on.

Okay so How does a harrowing targeting a passion or fetter work? does the wraith have to already be in the tempest for the shadow to start one? in the main wraith book its says that a harrowing happens when your will or corpus hits zero but than later on it says that if that happens it a destruction harrowing not a targeted one.

Okay so How does a harrowing targeting a passion or fetter work? does the wraith have to already be in the tempest for the shadow to start one? in the main wraith book its says that a harrowing happens when your will or corpus hits zero but than later on it says that if that happens it a destruction harrowing not a targeted one.

I'd reckon the wraith'd simply lose the apropriate amount of Corpus when the loss happened - Corpus is funny stuff, so it can be fobbed, but the target of the Harrowing wouldn't be the wraith themselves (they'd loose the corpus because they lost the fetter, instead of just because they got stabbed).

That said, I tend to give wraiths a choice what they're going to lose anyway - a wraith may come out of a Fetter harrowing a point down of permanent Corpus, if they decide the fetter's more important than they are)

well i guess the real question i wanted answered was what does a shadow have to do to initiate a targeted harrowing?

Generally, I dont think the shadow technically initiates it - when set things happen (the Wraith runs out of corpus, looses a fetter or a passion, etc), they loose their grip momentarily on the things they use to tether themselves - to hold themselves from falling into oblivion, and quick-as-you-like tumble into the Labyrinth (the Labyrinth is to the Underworld, what the Underworld is to the living world - it's always right next door, it's just often that the wall's too thick to get though).

At this point, the Shadow puts out a call to all nearby Spectres, gathering them together and feeding them information from the Psyche's memories or attitudes.

I believe that originally, Harrowings were good things - they were like Morality plays, and served to teach the Wraith how to let go of the things holding them in place, and to attain Lethe. But I've no idea where this information comes from :hehe:

Donor

*cough* Only months and months later.

The Shadow doesn't instigate Harrowings...at least not directly. Shadows will sometimes engineer plots in an attempt to put the wraith, or a Fetter or Passion in danger. To quote from the WWWiki: "Harrowings occur when the Wraith is threatened - this can be from physical damage (Corpus reduced to zero) or damage to a Passion or Fetter (any situation which threatens to reduce the rating, except for resolution of the Fetter). When the threat occurs, a nihil opens up under the wraith, sucking him into the Labyrinth. Harrowings can also occur under circumstances that would have caused the Wraith (while alive) to die or go mad - such as being crushed under a giant block of soulsteel or seeing the gardens of Yu Huang."

If it works, then the wraith falls into a Harrowing, like John said. Other wraiths, if they're close enough and fast enough, can even fall or leap into the nihil with them...but that's not a good thing. The thing is, when a wraith is in a Harrowing, they're protected by rules that the spectres can't break--this is why the little play-charade rather than the spectres just piling on and ripping them apart. But any wraith falling in there with them will either fall into their own Harrowing...or not be protected. In which case, they become Spectre-food.

Interestingly, any wraith can willingly trigger a Harrowing on themselves any time they want. It's definitely a way to escape your attackers, if you're desperate enough.

This is also one of the times Fetters come into play. When the Harrowing finishes, you get spit out near one of your Fetters, regardless of where you were before you went in.

Donor

I can add to that, given the whole game is centered around emotion– the concept of the Harrowing is 'simply' a direct face-off with... one's self. Some of the given reasons (and the type of harrowing they cause) presented in the book are (game technical-) examples; such as the 0 corpus >> destructive harrowing.

I prefer stress and strong (negative) emotions as a guideline. So a botch, even simply failing a task a number of times (possibly in combination with a flaw) as ways that send a wraith into a harrowing. As doubt starts to eat away self confidence, as self loathing for the actions one has done becomes dominant; a harrowing may result.

I would also like to point out that in spite of the negative implications a Harrowing often as for the statistical side of the characters - aka, the sheet, a harrowing on its own isn't bad per definition. It's just how you see it. When viewed - as i do - as a very steep learning curve, the wraith may very well come out stronger; having redefined itself.

Without typing up a whole essay, I just want to offer a glance in Oblivion's role again. Oblivion isn't good or evil- it's the force of nature (created by God...) to ensure a full cycle of birth, death and rebirth. What is sure is that existing as a wraith is a fate God had not intended for the human soul. (Thank you, Halaku!) So what is the purpose of the harrowing keeping this in mind? Is it a method inspired by God to speed up the process of milling a wraith through Oblivion (from the wraiths perspective that would be a bad thing), or is it a (last) change for the wraith to fight of the inevitable? (Which would thus make it a good thing!)

Ave! V

Procurator

There's speculation that Harrowings were originally meant to help wraiths Transcend; however, that porpose was somehow corrupted and now leads to dissolution in the Void.

Donor
There's speculation that Harrowings were originally meant to help wraiths Transcend; however, that porpose was somehow corrupted and now leads to dissolution in the Void.

Can you point out to the source of such speculations, i like to read up on that for my new campaign. I see a potential here to actually use something akin to the harrowing for exactly that purpose: Transcendence.

I also see how the shadow may abuse such- making the Psyche believe that while actually being in such a step towards transcendence, it is actually a harrowing *shifty*

Procurator

I'll check my books when I get home. It's someplace obscure. :)

Pity we never got Memento Mori.

Donor

I remember reading that somewhere too, Saint Michael.

There's Wraith novels? My god, why didn't anyone ever tell me this? What are they called? Where do I get them?

Donor

Yes! Thanks, everyone, this thread should be very helpful.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.