Sign in to follow this  
sssssz

Beauty and the Beast

The Beast was once a Galateid Centimanus. He was consumed with vanity, of course. He had the power to create any kind of servant he wanted in any shape or form, and with his beauty, it was not difficult to procure the best parts for his creations. However, one day, a Qashmallim visited his castle of fascinating horrors, and he did not recognize who it truly was. He mistreated the entity because of its ugly shape. In return, it conjured a terrible Firestorm throughout the entierty of the castle which ravaged the Promethean of his beauty and his statuesque offsprings into awkward... things. It warned the Beast that, unless he learns where true beauty lies, he will be stuck with his hideous form forever.

One day, a girl walks into this castle, seeking for her father who has become lost in the forest. She is struck with wonder at the residents of the castle who are both people and things, like clocks, chairs, candleholders and such. Then she meets the master of the castle, the Beast, whose grotesqueness disquiets her deeply... as if it were an instinct. It was odd, as the girl was known for her kindness, but perhaps that just shows how ugly the Beast was. Then, she discovers that her father has been put into the castle's dungeon because of his misbehavior and will be kept forever. Out of love for her father, she offers to trade places with him. Therefore is the girl sentenced to spend the rest of her life in the castle.

She tries to become used to the castle, but she has a hard time overcoming the sense of wrongness throughout the place. The various servants of the castle are rather amusing folks, but they are not really people. Not just because they sometimes are teacups and mirrors, but because they behave as if they were things, made to serve a specific purpose, not as if they were real humans. The Beast himself is also strange to the utmost; he says he was once human, but he simply cannot understand how a human would think or feel. Does the Beast lie? Is he keeping her for a foul purpose? Doubts and fears overwhelm her regardless of the degree of hospitality the Beast and his servants offer.

Though, she tries. She eventually learns to ignore the disquiet the Beast's body gives her and begins to treat him as a real person. The Beast's Pyros burns, once again and brightly.

When he allows the girl to leave the castle to save her father, who has become lost in the forest once again, he unknowingly prepares the ritual that will transmute his Pyros into a real soul. He contemplates the meaning of the act he has just done, and what exactly compelled him to allow such a thing... however, the girl and her father are forced to tell the townsfolk about the Beast, and simply by hearing about the foul thing drives the crowd into panic and hatred. The Disquiet takes them to such a degree that they are irrationally obsessed with destroying the monster, and to do this, they lock up the girl and her father so they may not distract the mob.

Seeing the crowd coming to destroy him and his castle, the Beast becomes weak and without resolve. His servants fight bravely to protect the estate, but they are unable to defeat the town's champion, who challenges the Beast to a duel. He fights half-heartedly, seeing no point in winning the battle, which he could have done easily with the myriad of Transmutations the Promethean has learned over the centuries. His unnatural vitality betrays him, and he is subjected to a lengthy and torturous murder... but when he realizes that the girl has fought the mob to come to see him again, the fire burns again with the will to live so hotly his tormentor is scorched to death by the passion.

When the girl arrives to him, the Beast is about to become destroyed. Even though he is capable of withstanding much harm, his Pyros has withered over the decades of solitude and misery and will not be able to sustain him much longer. Content with how things turned out, the Beast calmly accepts this final death in his lover's embrace. Yet, the girl sheds a tear of losing him... and it becomes the catalyst of the Beast's lost Great Work.

--------

I was watching the musical adapation of the Beauty and the Beast, and it occured to me how easy it would be to turn the story into a Promethean story. :|

Given that Beauty and the Beast is my all-time favorite Disney movie (and I'm dying to see the Broadway musical!), I may just have to tell that story when I finally get Mechanika by Gaslight up and running (assuming I can get players and have someone who wishes to fill the role of Belle...