Zashiki-warashi

The many paradigms of a doodling Frenchwoman

Donor

I finally got to work on something I've been wanting to do for months: I revamped my own little corner of the artistic web. Therefore Paradygma has entered its 3.0 incarnation, and I feel it's time I give in to bragging rights. At least a little.

Granted, I'm still in the process of uploading my most recent drawings (I'll add them in this thread, because I'm doing a lot of WoD-related illustrations these days), but things are going so smoothly now that I doubt it will me too much time. In the meantime, feel free to check what I already have online, even though I'm aware my style is far from fitting all tastes (does any style do?), as has probably already appeared through my dA gallery. ;)

Among other things, here's what re-reading my Mage books might inspire me to do.

And here's the poor creature I actually turned into a familiar for Mage as well. Complete with character sheet. Ah, the things we do for fun.

I rather like “In Light We Dance” and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the near future.

Wowza, a gallery I thoroughly enjoyed from begining to end. Even with the slight tweak in style on some pieces you can tell its all from the same artist and so many images I just adore.

Hope you dont leave such a long time in updating in the future.

Donor

Thank you both! I like experimenting, which probably accounts for the style differences in what I do. Or maybe this is just good old evolution. Hm.

I sure hope I won't take as much time as I did for the previous update. (I swear, this site migration took ages, and I didn't dare toy with databases too much in the meantime.) Of course, things will be different come September again, with that competitive national exam looming close for early 2009, but first there'll be summer, and that will mean more time to draw all the same. I'd better take opportunity on this.

Donor

Small update today (it's still "old" stuff, as in, I really hadn't updated in quite a while...), and as a bonus, here's a little preview of my current work in progress:

normal_WIP_hyde_05.jpg

(She's an oWod NPC for my upcoming Chronicle. See, there is a link with SnE. ;))

Donor

This is wonderful stuff,

I will enjoy going through your website I think, judging by the stuff you linked to. The dog in "Play with me, Master" is creepy looking.

The progression of the work in progress is great to see too. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Donor

Thank you. :) I'm aware that I regularly undergo paradigm shifts (why, there is a reason why I named my site this way), so at times there will be changes in style, but I hope my drawings will still remain pleasant enough to have a look at no matter what.

I've made another mini-update today. As previously mentioned, these are still older pictures (dating back to 2006/early 2007), because I don't want to upload them after my newest illustrations. The new ones will be coming soon, provided my wonky connection doesn't go in the way.

thumbs_breaking_the_rules.jpg

Renata Rialann & Ian Thorn, two characters whose past weigh heavily on a certain part of society in Eien (a world divided into two very different continents, and that I've been building for the past decade or so). They are both telepaths, but were not meant to be friends, lest even lovers, due to the dictates of the conflicting parts of society they came from. Incidentally, they did marry, using an old, often overlooked loopholes in the Church laws to do so. That picture would actually be their betrothal vows, mingled with the twisted sense of doing something heavily forbidden.

thumbs_eyes.jpg

Irina, another character from the world of Eien. She is part of a State police corps called the Watchers, whose official aim is to maintain law and order—their officious goal being to go after the Waisen (people who manifest telepathic abilities yet refuse to use them for the benefit of the State). This picture was my first attempt at designing her, so I hope I managed to let her stern side shine through, if I may say so.

thumbs_the_darkness_of_her_ways.jpg

This is an illustration I did for a French author, Vanessa Du Frat, who's been publishing her novel "Les Enfants de l'Ô" online. 'The woman in black' is a mysterious persona who appears before a couple of the characters in the book, doesn't seem to have a solid physical presence nor reflections in her hair or on her clothes, and speaks in an odd way. I don't know myself yet what her final role will be, but I eagerly await this revelation. She also seems to be linked to an AI named "Z'arkán", whose symbol she's holding between her hands here.

Donor

Wow, you kick butt at Illustrator! I've used the program enough to know how much skill you're displaying there.

Also, your website is excellent.

Donor

Thank you. ^_^ I admit most of what I did with Illustrator was drawn a few years ago, and I'm probably quite rusty at the moment. That's mainly why I'm doing Lady Hyde with Illustrator. It will reacquaint me with the gradient mesh tool.

Donor

I've added a couple of pictures today. I'm now getting to my 2008 illustrations, which means I'm almost up to date. At last.

thumbs_andre-the-spades-avatar.jpg

Here is André, Avatar to my Fortunae character in the M:tA game where I'm a player. That swarthy fop appears in mirrors, and has the gist to always do what he shouldn't. One might wonder why seekings with him involve booze and playing poker... ;)

thumbs_twinkle_twinkle_little_star.jpg

Not RPG related, but this is one of these things that started as a Friday evening class doodle and ended up in something I liked.

Donor

Awww, that second one is so cute! It's very Edward Gorey/Tim Burton.

I'm seriously grooving on Andre. I love to hear about active, vibrant Avatars and the things they get up to. I feel like that interior part of things is often a neglected aspect of the game.

Donor

I like active Avatars, too, and I do my best to put them in my games, although it's not always easy (most of the players I've had unfortunately didn't have many ideas for their Avatars, so it was a little hard to come up with a lot of things myself, in a short time that is).

André was envisioned at first as the counterpart to my character before she Awakened (albino teenager in the 1920s, shy and secluded, despised by her rich family because she couldn't be 'useful' in making a good marriage, that kind of things): social, charming, self-confident, swarthy, and with a tendency to say out loud what he shouldn't. ;) Of course, things evolved during our games, and goodness knows the mage did weird things as well regarding him (like putting a glass of brandy in front of the mirror to ask him to talk to her *a-hem* yes, he likes the bottle, and I swear there was a reason to that desperate and silly act, but it's a long story).

Donor

I added two more pictures. These date back to April, when I started working on newly created characters for a story (not RPG, but it could be, I claim heavy WoD influences in any case) and was trying my hand at designing them.

thumbs_blood_moon_rising_by_yzabel.jpg

What happens when a Golem is turned into something it shouldn't be. When its creator died, the local Chantry sent one of their mages to take care of the 'problem', except that to do so, said mage actually gave a True Name to the creature... which in turn gave it something that might be a mind, or a soul, or maybe something else. Anyway, it was nothing regular nor authorized.

thumbs_ultimaratioregum.jpg

Same story, same universe. The Anima Mundi is a group in charge of putting to trial any renegade mage they find on their way. These six are part of it, and they're nothing short of dysfunctional bastards not really better than those they're meant to catch, but that's another matter.

Donor

'Heylel' hm? That's kind of a dangerous True Name for a mage to give somebody. :evilgrin:

I remember seeing your band of misfits elsewhere. They seemed like a very intriguing group.

Donor

Indeed a dangerous True Name. :evilgrin: I like toying with that.

You probably have seen them in my dA gallery, I guess?

Donor

Two more are in:

thumbs_aster.jpg

Aster, the character I'm currently playing in a M:tA game. She's a hybrid between a Fae and a mage—technically speaking, the soul of a mage reincarnated in a body crafted from an oak. Nobody knows why she's that way nor who gave her such a body, starting with herself (although given her foci and magick, she might have been a Verbena in her past life). Anyway, what happens when you mix the sturdiness of a tree with the social maturity of a 7-years old is tons of fun to play. And she gets to eat Paradox for breakfast when she sets foot in a city. Whee.

thumbs_the_devils_hand.jpg

Aidan Stockwell, one of the vampire NPCs I created for Shadow Nexus. Formerly of the Scottish nobility, he's now dwelling in London to fulfill personal aims as well as out of a need to stay away from his Clan brethren (though they regularly try to eat him for breakfast). There's a drop of Mr. Rochester in his behaviour, which means my players find him absolutely insufferable, and which also means I get a lot of fun watching the regular speech sparring matches around my table.

Donor

Very impressive. I have never played with Illustrator really and I am now tempted. Merci! :)

Donor

I like both of these for different reasons. Aster is just a great looking character, and Aiden looks like he came out of a WoD book, so that's great :)

Donor
I like both of these for different reasons. Aster is just a great looking character, and Aiden looks like he came out of a WoD book, so that's great :)

As long as it wasn't from a book illustrated by John Cobb... :P (Okay, sorry, I just happen to dislike his style, a lot, that's all.)

Donor

I had to delay posting here since the board was moving, but now that things are back into business again...

thumbs_i_am_mage_hear_me_roar.jpg

Cheerful and a little too hype for her sake, here comes Louisa Keynes, one of the main protagonists in the story I mentioned in a previous post (the one with the golem and mage hunters). This 18-years old mage expresses her powers through the use of technology devices, mainly a cell phone and laptop (think of her as to a Virtual Adept in a way, or perhaps a Thig). She has specific ties with Heylel and one of the Anima Mundi hunters, but the poor girl isn't aware yet of how far said ties go back.

thumbs_anima_tenebrarum.jpg

Prinn Heidemann, formerly of the Solificati, Widderslainte and one of the main antagonists to appear in Shadow Nexus. He is responsible among other things of the destruction of a whole covenant of mages, the massacre of a 500-inhabitants village used as hostage to force another mage into collaborating with him, a Paradox Storm, various experiments involving the use of alchemy on several life forms, and the theft of an ancient artefact (his weapon) in Doissetep. He's not exactly sane anymore, that is.

Donor

Nice, I like them both. I like the girlish cheerfulness in the first though. Heh.

Been a while since I poked my nose in here and snuffled for visually delicious truffels, I really like the expansion of char pictures you've added. Love the group pic, very manga-tastic gathering. Really like Louisa Keynes, thats such a nicely done image and expresses fun so wonderfully. Also like the mad mage image, the floor patterations especially caught my eye.

Donor

Thanks a lot!

There are still a few other pictures coming, but so far I haven't had much time to devote to updating my website. I'll try to do that before the end of the year, though, it's already been too long to my liking.

Donor

Well, thanks to this thread, I got reminded that it was high time to do a wee update. It's not much for the moment, but there'll be more soon again, since I'm in the process of finishing a couple of pictures for Christmas (er, I hope I'll be able to finish them in time, that is).

And thus the work in progress previously presented here was completed, a long time ago, but better late than never, huh?

thumbs_alexandra_hyde.jpg

Lady Alexandra Hyde of Clan Malkavian, one of the NPCs for my Shadow Nexus Victorian Mage Chronicle. This sweet young woman, who sometimes wanders barefoot even in plain winter and seems to delight in wearing oddly old-fashioned dresses, might be sighted in the area of Hyde Park at night, and sometimes in Regent's Park as well. While she displays sure signs of eccentricity and of being pretty much inoffensive, if a little bit on the eerie side, beware! for she is of a fickle mood, and anything can push her over her boundaries. (My PCs got to see her on the brink of Frenzy, after someone had intruded on her territory, and she was creepy to boot.)

(For the record, there's an Alexandra Gate in Hyde Park, and yes, her name was chosen on purpose.)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.