Cybercat

Wraith Inspiration

Curator

So what do you find as inspiration for Wraith? What movies, books, music, etc. has a Wraith feel to it and/or things that inspire ideas for you?

Procurator

There's Del Toro's El Elspinazo del Diablo, The Devil's Backbone. It has Wraith all over it, particularly the first couple of lines of narration.

Disturbed's Voices song has a good concept for a tortured medium, vampiric or otherwise.

Donor

Well, The Frighteners is probably the Wraith-est movie I can think of. But when it comes to inspiration for Wraith, entertainment media falls flat for me compared to good old-fashioned ghost stories.

There's a story about a mountain in the eastern part of the state, where I went to college. In 1925, a couple was hiking along the road that runs over the mountain when they came upon the corpse of a young woman who had been beaten or mauled to death, and then from the looks of it her killer had attempted to burn her body. No one is certain where she actually came from, because methods of identification at the time weren't so great and her body had been mutilated so thoroughly, but the strange part is that after the police had an autopsy done, they severed her head and kept it in hopes of finding someone to identify her.

Some popular rumors are that she was a prostitute from a brothel in the nearby town, or that she was a runaway from the local mental institution (which is a whole separate field of creepy stories). A friend of mine who grew up there says that he heard she was killed by her abusive lover, and that her ghost hates men. He said that two young men in the 70s used to amuse themselves by cruising that road at night, hunting for her, and that one night they apparently found her, because the next morning their car was found abandoned by the road with no sign of what happened to the boys. Another couple who stopped on the hill for a bit of necking one night came back terrified because she had appeared in their back seat. They fled before she could do anything.

Stories and figures like that are what inspire me for Wraith: a colorful history, a tragic and ghastly death, distinct motivations, a vivid Shadow, and a spooky atmosphere.

Curator

You're right. There is nothing like a creepy well told ghost story to inspire dark imaginings.

Inspirational movies, theres a couple of those in recent years. 1,2 & 3 are superb for going into the realisation of being dead, haunts. 3 possibly cosmologies of your Stygian design and using advanced ST techniques for scenes involved purely inside the minds of individual characters. 2 & 3 more so at glimpsing self doubts and the twists of a Shadow at work. 1 & 4 Mediums. 4 wicked Spectres and Shroud breaking Arcanoi used in interesting ways.

1) Sixth Sense

2) The Others

3) What Dreams May Come

4) White Noise

The Asphyx - an older movie from the 70s, worth watching if you love Victorian romps and this one has two mad scientists on the verge of discovering the essence of life, death and the human spirit leading to dire consequences. Poses a great concept and a good reference for those wanting to use the mortal factions fromWraith's The Quick and the Dead supplement.

Cronos - not a Wraith movie but could be seen as referance material for a different angle on a Restless story (makes a change from saying The Crow, hehe).

Asian cinema spin on Wraith offers a couple of brilliant movies, the first featuring a war in heaven scenario, factions of spirits clashing in devastating massive budget glory and the second featuring the use of Mediums, Proctor styled characters and a great story racing towards a plot to bring down the Shroud and cause utter chaos.

The Restless

Skyhigh

Richard "Wraith" Dansky's new novel Firefly - Something any fan will want to check out.

The tv show Cold Case, atleast the first couple of seasons, is an incredibly good source of inspiration.

Donor

GHOST with Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore!!! Awwwww Yeah!

Curator
GHOST with Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore!!! Awwwww Yeah!

That was a fun movie!

The Machinist

The suspense, atmosphere, and mood all make for great Wraith inspiration. A great movie for those who play members of the Legions and who enjoy the themes of Happenstance, Madness and Fate.

A cryptic review but I'd hate to spoil the plot of such a good movie. Definately inspirational material.

Donor
That was a fun movie!

It t'was yes

The Machinist

The suspense, atmosphere, and mood all make for great Wraith inspiration. A great movie for those who play members of the Legions and who enjoy the themes of Happenstance, Madness and Fate.

A cryptic review but I'd hate to spoil the plot of such a good movie. Definately inspirational material.

Nice, yep I can see that, definitely.

Curator

I was thinking that the Ring or the original Japanese version (Ringu) might would make a good inspiration for Wraith.

Donor

As for music I recommend Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble Of Shadows. A music project of the transgender "woman" Anna-Varney Cantodea. She is supposedly inspired in her music by ghosts (The Ensemble Of Shadows). The music is very creepy sounding, you could call it Dark Wave, Etherael, Goth. And if you look at the lyrics the themes are often the same as those in Wraith.

If you want to check it out for yourself she has lots of videos on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;aq=-1&oq=

And you can also listen to a few songs on her Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/soporaeternus

ljsoporaeternusnv7.png

Tell me what you think.

Edited by Gimli son of Gloin

Curator

Definitely a good choice for Wraith. Thanks for sharing! B-)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMe5H9WKpM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMe5H9WKpM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMe5H9WKpM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I could so make a Wraith character based on this...

Edited by Random Avenger

Donor

I'd love to hear your ideas on that.

Curator
As for music I recommend Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble Of Shadows. A music project of the transgender "woman" Anna-Varney Cantodea. She is supposedly inspired in her music by ghosts (The Ensemble Of Shadows). The music is very creepy sounding, you could call it Dark Wave, Etherael, Goth. And if you look at the lyrics the themes are often the same as those in Wraith.

If you want to check it out for yourself she has lots of videos on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;aq=-1&oq=

And you can also listen to a few songs on her Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/soporaeternus

ljsoporaeternusnv7.png

Tell me what you think.

While I don't understand German this seems like it would be in the same vein as the above -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwItkzSMkO8

I don't know if you guys will like this, but the Silent Hill series of video games has a fair set of good spectres. Or harrowings, for that matter. Also, just the idea behind fatal frame would be an interesting twist for a wraith game. Not that I know much about the latter, and my only knowledge for the former is secondhand from an extreme fanboy.

Donor
I don't know if you guys will like this, but the Silent Hill series of video games has a fair set of good spectres.

Oh yes.

I'll never forget the shadowy children... or where that additional button in the elevator leads you to. And this was only in the first game.

Donor

I have another good musical inspiration in the same vein as my first one. Its Rosa Crvx a Dark Folk/Goth/Medieval band. I saw them in concert last Saturday at a millennium old church in France. This is how they describe themselves:

"A martial and apocalyptic atmosphere! The band brings us directly to the heart of things. Obsessional, never brutal, Rosa Crvx explore the questions of life and death, of the anguishes and the human's fears. They face the darkness; at the edge of the abyss, their steps progress on an unknown way which exists in the dark and opens to the light when we understand that the only solution is in the acceptance of mysteries. Rosa Crvx reached us down in the depths of the soul...

Irresistible, the sound of the band has something fascinating, a feeling of madness and power which arise from a direct experiment. Martial rhytms, cold piano sounds, marchingdrums in rolls, huge bells on stage, atmospheric guitars and strange choral voices emerging from hell, all are the flag of our fears, and a ceaseless reference to the essential questions: the Why and it's mysteries.

A band who is face to face with what we are, will be or will not be any more."

Sounds pretty fitting for Wraith doesn't it? Thats also what it sounds like. Check them out yourself on their Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/rosacrux

585rosa_crvx1.jpg

Rosa Crvx is very inspiring, I was looking for something like this. Sopor Aeternus is great too, I love "Sopor Fratrem Mortis Est". Thank you for sharing!

Donor

In a moment of boredom I was inspired to stat up a Wraith character based on Stan:

Name: Stanley Mitchell

Nature: Child

Demeanor: Martyr

Shadow: The Monster

Life: Obsessed Eminem fan

Death: Suicide

Regret: Destroying two innocent lives

Physical: Strength 4, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3

Social: Charisma 2, Manipulation 3, Appearance 3

Mental: Perception 2, Intelligence 2, Wits 2

Talents: Alertness 2, Athletics 1, Brawl 2, Dodge 1, Expression 3, Intimidation 2, Streetwise 2

Skills: Crafts 2, Drive 2, Firearms 1, Melee 1, Repair 2, Stealth 1

Knowledges: Bureaucracy 1, Computer 1, Investigation 1, Law 1, Medicine 1

Backgrounds: Memoriam 3, Relic 4 (car)

Arcanoi: Argos 2, Embody 3, Pandemonium 1, Phantasm 2

Passions: Find his girlfriend (Love) 3, Seek forgiveness (Atonement) 3, Keep little brother safe (Guilt) 4

Fetters: The tape 3, Eminem 3, Little brother 4

Willpower: 5

Dark Passions: Torment Eminem to death (Hate) 4, Lead brother to a similar demise (Envy) 3, Make details of suicide and murder public (Pride) 3

Thorns: Spectre Prestige, Aura Of Corruption

Angst: 7

I just find dark movies in general to be pretty inspiring. I watched Slingblade today. It was darker than I remember it being when I watched it after it came out. The part where Carl tells frank about when he was a boy and his mother had a premature baby. His Dad brought it out to young Carl wrapped in a towel and told him to get rid of it. He opened the towel and found a baby that was no bigger than a squirrel and still alive. He put it into a shoe box and buried it. Later when he's an adult, he goes to visit the grave of it. What a powerful fetter that would be.

I also found the series Six Feet Under to be an immensely powerful show. Theres just so much there, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The soundtrack for the game Ghosthunter for PS2 is great. Just check out this track:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.