MrGonev5

Need a name for a Vampire Hunting Organization

Curator

Ok, heres the set up. I may be running a game soon using NWoD rules about a secret branch of the Church charged with hunting down and destroying Vampires(it should be noted these will not be Requiem style vampires..more like vampires from John Carpenters Vampires). I'm stuck on a name for this group. I had thought about stealing the name from Blood + and calling it The Red Shield...but I dunno.

So, got any ideas for cool names for a bad ass group of Church backed Vampire Hunters?

:D

Guest SKeLoRiC

It would likely be in Latin and have at least a minimal connection to the inquisition.

Some connection to Italian special forces in World War 2 (especially if on the Axis side) could have beseeched the church for refuge and dispensation, which would allow the church to rededicate the group towards a more noble purpose.

This would mean that a particularly militant title from the era could also be applied.

Curator

:)

Thanks for the ideas so far..all good. :D

I'm terrible at doing names like this sometimes..

But yea Skel, I'm thinking the group is pretty old, dating back to the Inquisition, if not before that.

Gotten a few cool names at the WW forums too:

St. Michael is the saint of demon hunters and soldiers.

"Brotherhood of St. Michael" or the "Michaelites" would do. Or else just use the Jesuits, which would be the wing of the Church that currently handles exorcisms and would likely be the organization to which jurisdiction would fall.

I used a similar organisation in a past game which i called the Knights of St. Michael

Brotherhood of the Holy Spear? (Lance of Longinus anyone? Yes, I'm aware of the Lancea Sanctum.)

Discipleship of Neo Templars?

Crimson Cross?

Creed of St. George (or some other saint)?

White Knights of the Sword?

Just a few, off the top of my head. :D

I kind of like Crimson Cross....not set on it yet, but I kind of like it. :D

Guest SKeLoRiC
Ordo Rosarius is the one I use. Don't really know the meaning. Just sounds cool! :P

It seems to be nonsense according to every translator I can wield upon it.

Curator

It does sound cool tho. ;)

Pope [whoever is pope]'s League of Extraordinary Mother******s! :P

Heh seriously...Just call them something generic...like Team 27. Or in that same vein...Team Crow, Belmont or some other notable evil hunter from fiction.

Curator

Any of those could work..

Donor

Oh, just call them the Holy Rollers and get on with it. Besides, it's not like they walk everywhere.

Guest SKeLoRiC

The Order of Saint Whup-Ass, the patron saint of ass kicking?

Donor

Just rip off Oblivion and call it Order of the Virtuous Blood.

Donor
Oh, just call them the Holy Rollers and get on with it. Besides, it's not like they walk everywhere.

:icon6:

Hey Mr Gonne, while your considering the name have you thought about how you could put a unique spin on your group so it's not another batch of the same old, same old?

J

Curator

LOL

The Order of Saint Whup-Ass, the patron saint of ass kicking?

"I Kick ass for the Lord!" ;)

Just rip off Oblivion and call it Order of the Virtuous Blood.

Hmm...that might work.

:icon6:

Hey Mr Gonne, while your considering the name have you thought about how you could put a unique spin on your group so it's not another batch of the same old, same old?

J

Hmmm....not sure. Got any suggestions? I was pretty much just going to see what kind of characters the players cooked up. And the team would be similar in style to maybe John Carpenters vampires, in some ways anyway. Got any thoughts?

Donor

You've had a few humourous suggestions for the group's name, I'd take that ball and roll with it. The church might support the work the group does but that doesn't mean they have to like it. Group members are treated with contempt at best but more usually with fear and loathing so they, the PCs, make use of the balm that soldiers around the world use - black humour. Jokes that would get any other clergy member excommunicated are par for the course. The sergeant kowtows and mumbles amen when necessary...and carries a chalk board to tally up the points for the most creative/dangerous/hi-fucking-larious kills.

The horror comes when that safety mechanism - venting frustration and fear through comedy - breaks down. What happens when they can't laugh in the face of death?

Curator

To play on the association with St. Michael, which I think is a good one, something like Servants of the Host or Soldiers of the Host. Or maybe Knights of the Host - all playing on Michael being Captain of the Host of Heaven.

Curator

The Rosicrucians, and the spelling is probably off, spring to mind but I cannot remember if they are fictitious or not.

The Carolingians, again with the spelling likely off, mentioned in The Order (a fine little movie, btw) could fit as well.

While not religious in nature, I use the Frog brothers from the Lost Boys as the founders of a multi-national company called Frog, Inc as well as the Talamasca from Anne Rice, but only because I like the way Talamasca sounds.

Curator
You've had a few humourous suggestions for the group's name, I'd take that ball and roll with it. The church might support the work the group does but that doesn't mean they have to like it. Group members are treated with contempt at best but more usually with fear and loathing so they, the PCs, make use of the balm that soldiers around the world use - black humour. Jokes that would get any other clergy member excommunicated are par for the course. The sergeant kowtows and mumbles amen when necessary...and carries a chalk board to tally up the points for the most creative/dangerous/hi-fucking-larious kills.

The horror comes when that safety mechanism - venting frustration and fear through comedy - breaks down. What happens when they can't laugh in the face of death?

Yea, thats kind of what I was thinking actually. They get away with a TON that no one else in the church would be able to get away with. There are only certain members of the Church who know about em, and hell, maybe even a few high ranking govt. officials around the world.

But yea, your thoughts are along my thoughts...

To play on the association with St. Michael, which I think is a good one, something like Servants of the Host or Soldiers of the Host. Or maybe Knights of the Host - all playing on Michael being Captain of the Host of Heaven.

Ohh...thats not too bad. :)

The Rosicrucians, and the spelling is probably off, spring to mind but I cannot remember if they are fictitious or not.

The Carolingians, again with the spelling likely off, mentioned in The Order (a fine little movie, btw) could fit as well.

While not religious in nature, I use the Frog brothers from the Lost Boys as the founders of a multi-national company called Frog, Inc as well as the Talamasca from Anne Rice, but only because I like the way Talamasca sounds.

Yea, I always did like the Talamasca. :D And I thought that was awesome what you did with the Frog Brothers. :D

I forgot about that secret order from the movie The Order. Might be something to play off of...

Curator

Okay, I'm totally unfamiliar with Vampire but a thought popped into my mind. It would probably need to be tweaked to work because of my Vampire ignorance.

Call them the Servants of Salvation (SOS would be their nickname). They are saving poor souls from being turned into evil Vampires while also letting the people that have fallen into darkness (the Vampires) at least have a chance to rest in peace (with a stake through the heart or whatever).

Curator

Wow...I kind of like that. Thanks. :) That might be cool..

It seems to be nonsense according to every translator I can wield upon it.

Heh, just made it up when I was trying to find a vampire hunting organization. Mainly from Ordo and the rosary(i.e the cross)!

Curator
Heh, just made it up when I was trying to find a vampire hunting organization. Mainly from Ordo and the rosary(i.e the cross)!

I wondered...might not have really meant anything, but I thought it was cool sounding. :)

To repost something from the WW forums in regards to this:

(Derail real fast)

So they aren't Req vamps huh? Are you using the system from the book or just one template with a few set powers that don't change?

Sorry, just curious.

Not using an existing system per se, so I do need to think up some systems.

But basically, I'm thinking there are 2 types of Vampires(in this game world). Theres whats called a Master Vampire. A Master vampire is fully sentient(and usually "evil") being, and is the closest thing to what you might think of as a requiem type vampire(tho with probably a more limited set of powers). Master Vampires are created when ever another master vampire drains a human and then feeds it some of its own blood. The human is then transformed into another Master vampire. The 2nd type of vampire is called a Ghoul(sometimes called a Goon) and are more feral, more bestial. They are created whenever a vampire bites a human, but does not kill them(either by draining, or snapping the neck or ripping them apart, etc). Ghouls can only create other ghouls(usually by accident) while Master vampires can create both types. Ghouls are under the control of the Master vampire that created them(or the master of the ghoul that turned them). Ghouls also have a limited set of powers, probably more along the lines of physical powers, like strength and speed, while Master Vampires would have those powers, along with some Mental powers as well.

What do you think?

Curator

*bump*

Looks like this is going to be a go soon. Now I just have to put some work into it. :)

Guest SKeLoRiC

Wait for Hunter the Vigil I think as it will offer an alternate version of a ghoul and even offer such organizations as the one you are/were trying to build.

Guest Blood Lore

Why not have secular organizations that hunts vampires? Like you know, the anti-supernatural revolutionary liberation army who uses guerrilla warfare against vampires and other supernatural beings? or a Strike Force Zero style team?

Edited by Blood Lore