Hyacinth

Cloverfield

Donor

I liked it; how about you guys?

Guest SKeLoRiC

I find that Cloverfield is an experiential cinema.

You see this film for the experience.

If you get nauseous by amusement park rides, this film is eerily similar in effect.

I recommend Dramamine.

As to story...

It is the HUMAN story that is at the heart of this.

All the momentous events are at the periphery of the drama of the human protagonists.

If this happened in one of our home cities, it is the sort of story we would tell.

Unlike many films of this type, we see the "common people" of the world rather than the stellar celebrity faces.

This film is a testament to the humanity in us all.

Donor

I had issues with motion sickness when I saw this last night with my husband, too. I enjoyed the "human element" of the story, but the monster and the destruction that it left in its wake were the real stand-outs for me in the movie. Plus, all of the viral marketing (tagurato.com and slusho.com, for instance) lent a lot of depth and plausibility to the scenario.

Curator

I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was awesome. I like the fact that we still really don't "know" anything...

I loved it.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. I gotta say, I was much impressed with it...

Donor
I must say I share the sentiment.

Curator

I'm taking my wife next weekend.

Curator

I thought it was wonderful that it wasn't REALLY a monster movie but, as already said, a movie about the people. The monster(s) are just part of the environment that the story is being told within. I really loved that.

I would love to know more, hell... to know ANYTHING... but that is me wanting to farm for cool ideas rather than any necessity of the story. As a small aside, did anyone see the creature landing during the final scene at Coney Island? In the distance, with no frame of reference to determine how far, above the boat you can just see something falling from the sky into the ocean. I didn't see it myself, but the friend I went with did.

I rolled my eyes a little at how jumpy the camera was being made out to be, since nearly all handheld recorders of the implied quality of the one being used in the film have very good frame stabilization features. But, as I said, it was a very minor eye-roll, and I was happy to see that the movie lasts just long enough that you don't get completely fed up with seeing through Hud's camera. And was I the only one giggling that his name was Hud?

There were a couple of other moments in the movie (which I won't spoil) where the wonderful sense of realism and immersion that I was feeling got broken, but I -AM- a fairly critical person, so I'll take a handful of salt with them.

I haven't gone a-surfing yet to see if anyone has the info posted, but did any of you stay through the credits to hear the muffled voice at the VERY end? I couldn't make it out.

All-in-all, I was satisfied with the experience and JJ continues to be my personal antichrist with all of the enormous gaps he leaves for my mind to fill in with details. The bastard really knows how to keep me awake at night with what-ifs and I-wonders.

Curator

As a small aside, did anyone see the creature landing during the final scene at Coney Island? In the distance, with no frame of reference to determine how far, above the boat you can just see something falling from the sky into the ocean. I didn't see it myself, but the friend I went with did.

I didn't see it....but I'm going again this weekend, so I'll try and keep my eyes out..

i haven't gone a-surfing yet to see if anyone has the info posted, but did any of you stay through the credits to hear the muffled voice at the VERY end? I couldn't make it out.

I did stay, but like you, I couldn't make it out...I'll try again.

Donor

I would love to know more, hell... to know ANYTHING... but that is me wanting to farm for cool ideas rather than any necessity of the story. As a small aside, did anyone see the creature landing during the final scene at Coney Island? In the distance, with no frame of reference to determine how far, above the boat you can just see something falling from the sky into the ocean. I didn't see it myself, but the friend I went with did.

It's something else entirely, really. Considering the monster's size, I find it unlikely to be the monster (And some sources speculate that it might be the Tagruato satellite from the film's viral marketing).

The rest of the marketing, though, points out at the monster having been dormant for a long time... See The Bloop.

I haven't gone a-surfing yet to see if anyone has the info posted, but did any of you stay through the credits to hear the muffled voice at the VERY end? I couldn't make it out.

And you won't: It's playing backwards.

What does it say? I'm not telling, but it's a clue of things to come.

Curator

That's so entirely wrong, serial... words cannot express...

Curator

What does it say? I'm not telling, but it's a clue of things to come.

Awww...that's just mean.

Curator

IGN DVD dreams of the ultimate Cloverfield DVD

Man, if the dvd was like that, it would be awesome as all hell!

Curator

As a small aside, did anyone see the creature landing during the final scene at Coney Island? In the distance, with no frame of reference to determine how far, above the boat you can just see something falling from the sky into the ocean. I didn't see it myself, but the friend I went with did.

So, I saw it again. I had heard at the end scene on Coney island you can see something fall from the sky. I was watching for it and I didn't see anything. Theres a wide shot of the water, and I saw nothing. Then the camera pans to Rob and Beth, and you can see water off to our right, and I saw nothing.

I guess I'll check when I get the dvd...but as of this point, I'll be damned if I saw anything.

Donor

Anyone care to help settle a debate between my friends and I? I saw that when that girl got bit by one of the parasites, she exploded behind that screen. My friends saw her get shot.

My only problem with that is, she was puffing up. Hence my idea she exploded.

Guest SKeLoRiC

The dialogue right after that point confirms your take.
They discuss how everyone bitten so far has exploded.

Curator

Yup, she exploded.

Why would they have shot her just for being bit? Besides, you see them wheel a body by the camera that's chest was missing, having looked like it exploded. So I'm you Archaeus.

I am so ashamed. I couldn't even finish the movie, I left after running out of the theater twice to puke(yep, I blew chunks). This saddens me, I know I would have loved it if it had just been a tad less shakey.

I imagine once this hits video a lot of people who couldn't watch it will be able to. Here's hoping.

I enjoyed the hell out of it...but I geek out on apocalyptic stuff and dig monster movies. I did notice a few scenes that seemed to be modeled after footage from when the twin towers fell...Research in all things I suppose.

I also expect the sequel (you know its coming in some form be it movie comic or more viral marketing) to either expand on the events or show us the aftermath.

I almost say I'd like them to explain everything...but on the other hand it does add to the mystique of it all. I saw somewhere a picture of the toy parasite thats coming out soon...it looks ugly as sin...but I didn't remember them having the extra stuff on them...In the movie they reminded me of grasshoppers. This thing looked like a cross between a grasshopper and an octopus.

It says "It's Still Alive" at the end of the credits. google about a bit and you can find the mp3 on various sites.

Donor

I will given I hear it may be parasite/virus....my interest is peaked.

Curator

I am so ashamed. I couldn't even finish the movie, I left after running out of the theater twice to puke(yep, I blew chunks). This saddens me, I know I would have loved it if it had just been a tad less shakey.

Its ok, been hearing about that happening to lots of people.

I imagine once this hits video a lot of people who couldn't watch it will be able to. Here's hoping.

Yea, thats what I'm thinking. once on dvd, it should make it alot easier to watch on a smaller screen.

I enjoyed the hell out of it...but I geek out on apocalyptic stuff and dig monster movies. I did notice a few scenes that seemed to be modeled after footage from when the twin towers fell...Research in all things I suppose.

Yea, I noticed that too, I'm sure it was done on purpose. But yea, I love apocalyptic stuff, and monster movies, so I was pre-programmed to love this.

I also expect the sequel (you know its coming in some form be it movie comic or more viral marketing) to either expand on the events or show us the aftermath.

I almost say I'd like them to explain everything...but on the other hand it does add to the mystique of it all.

Yea, I would love a sequel, and I would like some things explained, but I too am torn between wanting to know everything, and loving that we don't know everything. But, we'll see what we find out in the sequel, tho I hope the sequel is a more straight forward movie, and not done in the same style.

I saw somewhere a picture of the toy parasite thats coming out soon...it looks ugly as sin...but I didn't remember them having the extra stuff on them...In the movie they reminded me of grasshoppers. This thing looked like a cross between a grasshopper and an octopus.

They reminded me of the Bugs from Starship Troopers.

Curator

Cloverfield Monster revealed

If you follow that link, after a brief article, there is a link to the Hasbro Toy site, which has a reveal of a "mega" toy based on the Cloverfield monster. Man...that looks...weird. Seeing it in a full like that, just isn't right.

But, there ya go..

It was not a good idea to see that movie with a hangover...motion sickness ahoy.
But it was good fun apart from all that...after all, a movie with a Vhozd can't be all bad...

Donor

I like Monster movies and this one sounds fairly decent, I think I shall get it if I can find it CHEAP! Sides I like Tzmice (sp) their powers/toys are SO DAMN COOL.

Curator

Comes out on dvd pretty soon...I think.

Just saw it. Awesome movie. Love it. Nuff said.