krowe

AvPR

Curator

So, yeah... after seeing the movie... meh

I mean, don't get me wrong, I was only expecting... hell, even WANTING... eye candy for my money. So this is not a "But where was the story?!?" gripe. In fact, it is more along the lines of "Get that fucking story out of my eye candy" gripe. I can see what I think they were trying to accomplish. By setting up so many characters with equal amounts of backstory and inter-personal relationships with each other it should make it hard to see just who you are going to find still standing at the end. And make no mistake, in the first scenes you figure out that the writers had aboslutely no pity for anyone of any age or condition. They definate hit the mark in showing how little mercy is to be had from either of these ET's.

But, and this is likely the fault of editting, all of these character and relationship details fall too short of being an interesting part of the movie and so just end up getting in the way of what most people are really coming to this particular movie to see: Aliens being all icky and gross, Predators being all sooper-kewl and with the best toys, and Humans gettings tossed about, flayed, devoured, and otherwise rendered into meaty speedbumps caught between the two. The only characters that NEEDED definition were the ones named in the movie title.

So, for me, it was fairly predictable and easy to identify the character(s) that were supposed to be the assholes who we would later enjoy seeing die horribly, the ones who would be martyrs and inspire another character to some action, the ones who sacrifice themselves in a herioc fashion, the ones who we would feel sorry for because they lost the most important person in the world, and the ones who we would be teased with seeing die only to dramatically be let off the hook. As the movie progressed there ended up being only two predictions that I made that didn't come true.

AvPR picks up right where AvP left off. Like, literally, you get the very end of AvP repeated at the very beginning of AvPR and action commences immediately from there. By the time the poor Colorado town is under siege by Aliens, that mountain climber chick from AvP would still be trying to get her sorry ass off of that ice shelf. They are barely hours apart when looked at as one timeline. Now, I kinda like this continuity... but they fucked it up. The ship at the end of AvP was FULL of Predators and yet their are only a couple on board at the beginning of AvPR. The movie would have been SO much more interesting with more Predators, much like AvP in how it quickly eliminated all but one. Pfft, I say... gimme a whole hunting party working in concert for glorious battle. But, yeah, that's prolly just the Uratha in me...

Anyway, I was very happy to see some effort put into giving the Predator more character than ever before displayed. This one shows sadness and anger over a fallen comrade, perhaps a family member, and though that is a small increase over what we have seen before... it is a display of emotion that makes them more human... and so more horrible. Of course, after that small offering we go back to standard Predator fare of using nifty gadgets, some familiar and some new, to dish out some impressive damage.

At the very end of the movie... literally, the last minute, a character is named during a particularly ominous scene that can only be fanservice or some form of easter egg in addition to some ellusion that we will see yet another movie in the chain. I can't recall the name right now but if someone else sees the movie and knows who that oriental chick IS, let me know. It intrigues me.

Curator

At the very end of the movie... literally, the last minute, a character is named during a particularly ominous scene that can only be fanservice or some form of easter egg in addition to some ellusion that we will see yet another movie in the chain. I can't recall the name right now but if someone else sees the movie and knows who that oriental chick IS, let me know. It intrigues me.

The name was Mrs. Yutani. The connection is: Weyland-Yutani "The Company" from the Alien series. So, I assume she is part of the founding of that company.

Anyway, I'm with you on everything. It wasn't a bad movie, but it could have been so much more! Hell, I;d love to see an AvP movie with no humans at all, Just predators hunting down and taking out some Aliens. But, alas...they keep thinking we need a "human" element to enjoy it...which we don't.

Donor

That's what I thought the point of these movies are supposed to be for! I am with you MrGone I would love to see a true Alien vs. Predator conflict. I enjoyed the AvP movie but I think I will enjoy this movie despite Mr. Krowe's review. Then again I have certain expectations given these kinds of movies....

Curator

Glad your with me.

This movie was alittle better than the 1st one. I just would have preferred it not set on earth in the modern day.

Donor

Good deal, as I said I enjoyed the first movie for what is was. If this one is better all the better.

(I need to start ignoring all your review threads because I rarely go to movies and sometimes you ruin it for me, but you guys are growing my DVD collection).

Curator

I try not to do too many spoilers in my review, and if I do, I'll be sure to use the spoiler thing. But yea, I do go to alot of movies, and watch alot, as I have tons of dvds. I'm a movie freak.

Curator

I enjoyed the AvP movie but I think I will enjoy this movie despite Mr. Krowe's review.

Sorry, but it should be little surprise that my critical opinion of things applies to the movies that I watch too. I can't say that I was not entertained, despite the things that I would have wanted to see done differently. It was definitely worth the money I spent on it.

And, if it makes you feel better, there is a preview for Hellboy 2 that is almost worth the price of admission itself.

Curator

I need to do a cut of both movies thats just the alien vs predator fights.