krowe

Most Valuable Forsaken Supplement v2

Most Valuable Forsaken Supplement v2  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you feel is the most valuable Forsaken supplement?

• Hunting Grounds: the Rockies
    • Predators
    • Lore of the Forsaken
    • Blood of the Wolf
    • Lodges: the Faithful
    • Blasphemies
    • Territories
    • Lodges: the Splintered
    • The Rage: Player's Guide to Forsaken
    • The Pure
    • War Against the Pure
    • Tribes of the Moon (Speculative)
    • World of Darkness: Chicago (Forsaken Section)
  2. 2. Second most valuable?

• Predators
    • Lore of the Forsaken
    • Blood of the Wolf
    • Blasphemies
    • Territories
    • The Pure
    • War Against the Pure
  3. 3. Least valuable?

• Predators
    • Lore of the Forsaken
    • Blood of the Wolf
    • Blasphemies
    • Territories
    • The Pure
    • War Against the Pure

Curator

Some time has passed and we have more books to consider, so a revisit to see how opinions may have changed. Previously, we had the following results:

Hunting Ground: The Rockies ---------- [ 3 ] ** [5.66%]

Predators ---------- [ 18 ] ** [33.96%]

Lore of the Forsaken ---------- [ 10 ] ** [18.87%]

Blood of the Wolf ---------- [ 10 ] ** [18.87%]

Lodges: the Faithful ---------- [ 3 ] ** [5.66%]

Blasphemies ---------- [ 2 ] ** [3.77%]

Territories ---------- [ 5 ] ** [9.43%]

World of Darkness: Chicago ( Forsaken Section ) ---------- [ 2 ] ** [3.77%]

You can find that topic here.

So what do you think now? Tell us what you think the most valuable Werewolf: the Forsaken supplements are and even what you think the least valuable one is. If you're feeling lazy, you can even reference back to the old topic if you h ave nothing new to say.

And for my part, my voting doesn't change.

I still believe that Predators is the most valuable, though admittedly through the perception of a Storyteller and tinted by how I play. Such a vast repository gives ready-made tools as well as examples to inspire new ones as well as fleshing out more on just what Spirits are like. Add to it the detailed treatment of Urged, Ridden, and Claimed as well as Hosts and other, less definable, entities and it really does make a wonderful initial purchase.

My second choice has always been Lore of the Forsaken and it has always been a VERY close second. Seeing as how I picked up both at the same time, they cannot help but be the same book to me and they perform wonderfully as partners in filling out the core offerings. Lore is a Player's best initial resource for understanding and fleshing out their characters. No matter how much people want to rave about Blood of the Wolf, that supplement I really see as more of the advance theory to Lore's more immediate and practical information.

As for least valuable, again my choice doesn't stray from what I have shared before... War Against the Pure. It isn't that the supplement sucks, is out of place, or is otherwise poorly written but rather than it is kind of unnecessary and more than a bit too specialized for my taste. If you aren't going to have large scale conflicts then much of the content is not immediately useful to you. I would much rather have seen Tribes of the Moon before this one.

Edited by krowe

I'd rate them as follows:

• Most Valuable: Lore of the Forsaken - it really gets you into your uratha's skin.
  • 2nd Most Valuable: The Rage - again, it helps to get you in-character with better understanding of the various tribal viewpoints.
  • Least Valuable: War Against the Pure - because I just don't have a need for it's content.

This is how I voted:

#1 The Rage

#2 Predators

Least: Lodges Splintered.

I just bought The Pure but I have not had a chance to peruse it.

Im really anticipating Tribes of the Moon.

Donor

MVFS1: The Rage: Forsaken Player's Guide. Really brings out the info on the tribes, Harmony, pack tactics, and geographical differences of the Uratha.

MVFS2: Blood of the Wolf. The what's what of being a werewolf, physically.

LVFS: Territories. Not bad by any means, but I don't really see the need to stat out every nook and cranny or building within a territory.

I would've given Lore of the Forsaken MVFS3 status.

I'm also looking forward to reading Tribes of the Moon. It'll be interesting to see what new stuff they came up with...

Curator

I am rather interested in what about Lodges: the Splintered gets it votes as Least Valuable while Faithful has votes as second Most Valuable. Personally, I have found both equally interesting and beneficial but neither really stand out of the middle of the road, value-wise.

I also didn't find Blood of the Wolf or The Rage as beneficial as others seem to have so while my opinion of BotW is locked in, I may have to give The Rage another look.

WhiteWolf

I know that people have somewhat entrenched ideas about which books are most valuable and which are least. What would be interesting if some of the posters here were to review the books they're voting for. Unlike Vampire (and to a lesser extent, Mage) Werewolf books hardly ever find their way into the RPG.net reviews section. Nobody reviews them because it's not the leading light and there's no great schism in the fans, which leaves people thinking that nobody much likes Werewolf books enough to review them.

Or something. The painkillers are getting to me.

Curator
I know that people have somewhat entrenched ideas about which books are most valuable and which are least. What would be interesting if some of the posters here were to review the books they're voting for. Unlike Vampire (and to a lesser extent, Mage) Werewolf books hardly ever find their way into the RPG.net reviews section. Nobody reviews them because it's not the leading light and there's no great schism in the fans, which leaves people thinking that nobody much likes Werewolf books enough to review them.

Actually, this is high on my personal list of things to do as I have not liked (and in some cases, vehemently disagreed with) reviews of Forsaken material that I have found on other sites.

WhiteWolf

Why is WoD: Chicago on the lists and not Shadows of the UK?

My votes were:

Most valuable - Predators

Second most valuable - Blasphemies

Least valuable - for absolute lack of options, WoD Chicago's Forsaken section.

I've read few Forsaken books, actually (those three above plus Lore of the Forsaken and Blood of the Wolf) but I loved everything I've read about it.

I have two reviews in Portuguese almost ready, exactly about Predators and Blasphemies. It's been a long while since I've been on RPG.Net, and I suppose there are reviews for those books already. But if that's not the case, I can translate these and publish. I'll check it later.

Curator
Why is WoD: Chicago on the lists and not Shadows of the UK?

Chicago was on the original list and had votes so it was in my mind as I rebuilt these lists. Shadows was an oversight.

Donor

1st - Predators (should have been in the main book)

2nd - Lore of the Forsaken

Least - War against the Pure

Donor

One of my wishlists is to write mini-reviews of all my roleplaying books. Ideally, all of one game line would be on the same page. Unfortunately, I have many wishlists of wishlists, so I am largely sticking to books I've just read and/or whole gamelines (which can be done off the top of my head for the most part since they don't reference any one thing).

Curator

So, new to Werewolf(and about to run my first campaign, set in Seattle and the Cascades) and I was wondering how good you guys thought the Rockies book was?

I got Boston unveiled for Mage and thus far wasn't that impressed.

Curator

So, new to Werewolf(and about to run my first campaign, set in Seattle and the Cascades) and I was wondering how good you guys thought the Rockies book was?

I got Boston unveiled for Mage and thus far wasn't that impressed.

Well, I don't see why it got the votes for Least Valuable that it did, for starters.

It certainly isn't a must-have but there's a lot of good material in there and it can help if you're drawing blanks on detailing your environment. Need pre-gen packs? Totems? Spirits? Antagonists? Really strange antagonists (like mutant Werewolves or Unihar-Magath)?

It's not required reading... but it's handy in a pinch and a good read.