Sign in to follow this  
OffWhite Knight

Bladerunner - The Final Cut

Hey all.

I saw Bladerunner - The Final Cut last Monday for my birthday. Wow.

First of all, Bladerunner is my favorite film. Of all time. I wholeheartedly endorse Citizen Kane's greatness, but Bladerunner is a film for me. Changed my life when I saw the first time. I saw it on the big screen back around 1992 or so when the supposed Director's Cut was released and I knew I had to see it again when the true Director's Cut, the "Final Cut" came out.

It's been playing all month in one screen in New York and one screen in Los Angeles. Luckily enough, I live in a suburb of LA. It's awesome in full digital glory at the awesome Landmark Theatre LA.

IF you are close enough and can get to the theatre in the next day or two, and love Bladerunner, you NEED to go. Some of those scenes just don't have their full majestic awe without the giant silver screen.

OTHERWISE, and this is likely for most of the fans of the film here, you'll have to wait for the DVD release in December. And as one who has seen the Final Cut, it's worth the purchase.

Sorry to the fans about not saying anything earlier, been busy, but better late than never.

Curator

I've had my dvd on preorder for months. I'll be getting that uber-box set with all the versions of the movie.

I sooooooooo can't wait for it to come out.

One question: why is it necessary to release another version of this film?

I'd like to make it clear that I am huge fan of Bladerunner. It's nearly the only movie that I can watch again and again and never get bored of it. I'm always spotting something in the background and stuff. But there has already been so many releases with different ends etc. that I don't really understand the need for this one.

I've seen it, comes in a sleek metal brief case, and I've already pre-ordered it. Yeah, I must have it 'cuz its the best sci-fi movie EVER made.

Curator

Since I don't own any of the previous versions, this set will be perfect for me. As for why another cut of the movie, I have no idea. I guess Scott wasn't quite finished with it.

(jlburgos @ Oct 24 2007, 09:18 PM)
I've seen it, comes in a sleek metal brief case, and I've already pre-ordered it. Yeah, I must have it 'cuz its the best sci-fi movie EVER made.

I can't wait to get it! Its gonna be damn awesome!

Oh... I've been meaning to watch this movie. I guess I'll rent it once it comes out...

Technically, there were three released versions. There were one, or two, I can't recall, alternate versions that were run in certain art house theatres and the like, but they were limited and not known to the general public and to my mind, don't really count as releases.

Version One: first run theatrical release.

Version Two: markedly similar to v1.0, but drops the voice-over and does make some other small changes. This version was *called* The Director's Cut, but Ridley Scott never actually did the editing for this version.

Version Three: The Final Cut, edited by Scott himself, makes further minor changes from V2.0, including cleaning some things up and reshooting the infamous window crashing sequence in which it is obviously a stunt double. That was reshot with the original actress for better continuity.

I doubt the wife will let me get the briefcase 5 DVD set, but you gotta make sure whatever version you get includes the documentary (I *think* all releases will) about the making of it. I've seen parts of it and it's a great behind the scenes documentary film.

Curator

I doubt the wife will let me get the briefcase 5 DVD set

I just told my wife I was getting it. But she's cool so she didn't care.

Great news!

The film apparently did so well, and demand was so high, the studio decided to roll out The Final Cut into other cities across America. So if you don't live in LA or NY, you aren't screwed!

Only those places listed as Digital get to see it in full digital glory, but it's far better than nothing! Here's the list with roll-out dates (I don't have further info, like how long they will play or specific theatres or anything):

October 26th:

Seattle Cinerama, Seattle - AMC

Washington DC Uptown, D.C. - AMC

Portland Cinema 21, Portland - Indep.

Salt Lake City, Utah Gateway Megaplex, SLC - Indep. - DIGITAL

November 2nd:

Chicago, IL Music Box, Chicago - Indep.

Santa Barbara, CA Arlington, Santa Barbara - Metropolitan - DIGITAL

Baltimore Landmark Harbor East, Baltimore - Indep. - DIGITAL

November 9th

Boston, MA Coolidge Corner, Brookline - Indep.

November 16th

Detroit, MI Main Art, Detroit - Landmar

November 18th:

Austin, TX Paramount, Austin - Indep.

November 30th:

San Francisco, CA Embarcadero, San Francisco - Landmark

Dallas, TX The Inwood, Dallas - Landmark

San Diego, CA Ken, San Diego - Landmark

Minneapolis, MN Uptown, Minneapolis - Landmark

December 7th:

Denver, CO The Landmark @ Greenwood Village Landmark DIGITAL Philadelphia - The Ritz 5, Philadelphia - Landmark

December 25th:

Boston, MA The Brattle, Cambridge Indep.

January 2nd 2008:

Austin, TX The Paramount, Austin Indep.

January 4th 2008:

Nashville, TN The Belcourt, Nashville - Indep.

January 18th 2008:

Durham, NC Carolina, Durham - Indep.

February 1st 2008:

Columbus, OH Drexel Gateway, Columbus, OH - Indep.

February 15th 2008:

San Francisco, CA Castro, San Francisco - Indep.

February 29th:

Sacramento, CA Crest, Sacramento - Indep.

Curator

Crap, still won't be playing anywhere near me.

huh.. interesting as it seems, you dont really sell me on yet another version guys. Yea its the "true" cut as the director wants but aside from saying "its blade runner" and "well doh". hehe. I'm only teasing so dont hunt me down and thrash me with rolled up newspapers, my brother is looking forward to buying it so I'll get to see whats so fab an groovy about it.

I always liked the original with voice over and wasnt that keen on the 2nd version tweaks. Should be fun to see what the final final version is like. I dread to think what on earth the 5 dvd set contains, not sure if I dare tell my brother about that, he may begin to drool uncontrolably. Youre a brave and lucky man Mr Gone.

Look forward to you telling us how fantastic that is if you snatch up a copy. Good luck.