Sign in to follow this  
WhiteOakDragon

Fae Children

In many old faery stories (to say nothing of the alien ones), the Fae take humans to use as breeding stock to replenish their bloodlines. I understand that this portion of the myth was left out so that the Fae would have good reason to continue abducting humans so that there would be justification for a large number of them.

Still, this is a big part of the myths, and it seems a shame to leave it out entirely. Has anyone else considered ways around this? I've considered perhaps creating kiths of a Breeder variety, that would be impossibly fertile, but unfortunately can birth only monstrosities.

What does everyone else think?

In many old faery stories (to say nothing of the alien ones), the Fae take humans to use as breeding stock to replenish their bloodlines.

Really? Ive never come across anything like that. Got any examples?

While I have seen this in various alien abduction urban legends, I'm afraid I've never ran across it in the old fairy tales and, like Temple, I'd love to see your reference materials. Now modern fairy tales are a whole different ball game ... sex, violent and rock 'n roll. ;)

Donor

Well, Autumn Nighmare theorize that the Fetches' children are sometime taken to become True Fae (see the Fetches Spawn chapter)...

Sure, why not? The changelings might be infertile, but that's just dealing with things that have a soul. I can see lots of monstrous tales coming about as an imprenated changeling gives birth to some cthonic horror show.After all, its hardly a problem to cause changelings to give birth to things that aren't human, since it does not decrease their demand by the fair ones.

In my games Changelings aren't universally infertile: reproduction is just very very rare (though not so rare as to be messianic, ala the idea of a "Scion" in Promethean). When it does happen the result is mechanically based on the "Fetch-Children" in Autumn Nightmares (that is, mortals with fae-touched type traits & manerisms). If Fetch reproduce the result are the Fetch-Spawn from Autumn Nightmares, unless their Changeling counterpart is dead, then they have a chance of having one of the "Children" as they own enough of their own name to pass on a soul.

Changelings have learned over the centuries that the True Fae have a special interest in fae-children. They are exceptionally likely to capture the child if the Changeling acts as a parent, likely due to some long forgotten Contract of debt. Interestingly the parents of a fae-child so taken is usually far less plagued by their Keeper afterwards, perhaps the books now being balanced between them. Most Changelings though end up abandoning their offspring to their mortal parent (if they have one) for their own good.

um actually - it doesn't suggest changeling children become Fetch spawn, only fetch children :)

um actually - it doesn't suggest changeling children become Fetch spawn, only fetch children :)

Was that a response to me? Because if so at no point did I mean to suggest that Autumn Nightmares had Changelings bareing Fetch-Spawn.

you said changelings don't reproduce normally, but when they do they produce fetch-children. I may have misunderstood what you meant, but that's how your words came across to me.

you said changelings don't reproduce normally, but when they do they produce fetch-children. I may have misunderstood what you meant, but that's how your words came across to me.

I ment IN MY GAMES I'm using the rules for "Fetch-children" to reflect the rare occurance of the "fae-children" (children of Changelings) and keeping "Fetch-spawn" what happens in the rare occurance where Fetch reproduce. I'm not claiming this is canon. Sorry if that didn't come across.

Donor
While I have seen this in various alien abduction urban legends, I'm afraid I've never ran across it in the old fairy tales

I have, I came across this a couple of times. But long ago, so I don't know where exactly anymore. Allthough I suspect one of the places it was mentioned was the Elves Encyclopedia by Pierre Dubois. But apparently people back in the old days thought this was the reason fae had to switch their own for human babies.