Villon

Dusklings - Jekyll and Hide

Donor

There's a very interesting brainstorm going on about Jekyll and Hyde in a Promethean fashion over at the WW boards. I think all of you guys would be interested in it, so if you haven't read already, here's the link :

http://forums.white-wolf.com/viewtopic.php?t=59864

Good stuff.

Donor

Very much neat. :)

Donor

I agree... I would love to see the same discussed here aswell though... we need these kind of topics too ;)

I actually made a Lineage for 'Jekyll and Hyde' about a year back, complete with a new Transmutation class called Duality (which swaps in for one of your Refinement ones). Basically, you are your own Demiurge. Yeah - it's kind of its own thing.

If anyone wants me to post it, I'd be happy to do so. Free of charge, of course. B-)

(I kind of suck at writing, but the idea is nifty, I think).

If anyone wants me to post it, I'd be happy to do so. Free of charge, of course. B-)

DO IT!!!

(I kind of suck at writing, but the idea is nifty, I think).

I proof-read as a hobby-obsession, so don't worry about your writing... it shall be cleansed :evilgrin:

Lineage Sheet

<Hydes – the Dual-Natured>

“My Progenitor once spoke thus: ‘I had voluntarily stripped myself of all those balancing instincts by which even the worst of us continues to walk with some degree of steadiness among temptations; and in my case, to be tempted, however slightly, was to fall’. That is me, stranger: those words fuel my tarnished half-soul. Tell me then, if I am such a beast, would you be amongst my pack – or amongst my prey?”

General Description: Not one of us is a single being. This is what the late Doctor Jekyll would have had you believe. From Central American Gods turning from magnanimity to cruelty with the celestial cycles, to that time you stole a CD from your local HMV and then tormented yourself about it afterwards, each person is made up of multiple identities. The Jekylls of this world pose this question, then: is there a way to separate those masks, those facades, apart to purify your being, your conscience and ultimately, your soul?

Hydes are those Jekylls that fail.

In attempting to isolate the evil in their own souls, the foul stench of corruption that they have noticed lurks beneath their every word, they wound up as stretched beings, half of the time as pure as gold and the other half of the time the fouler for it. Most literate Hydes (and the vast majority are) refer to their good half as ‘their Henry’ and their evil half as ‘their Edward’.

This, of course, is an allusion to the classic Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, penned by the great Robert Louis Stevenson. In that novel, and later the play and the musical, the story is told of Mr. Henry Jekyll (see Progenitor, below).

The Ruach is their element, an element not of the traditionally alchemical blends. The Ruach is a word that derives from the Jewish mystical tradition of Kabbalah. This religious branch believes in the writings, primarily, of the Zohar, a text that essentially forms a commentary of the Torah (the five books of Moses). The Zohar discusses such high ‘elements’ as souls, sin, evil, good, the universe and redemption. It is to this text that many Hydes choose to cling. Others turn away, admitting that they have cursed themselves and embracing the power that derives from acknowledging and embracing one’s own enormity.

Most important to acknowledge is the meaning of the Ruach. Literally, it is morality, that constant scale of one’s own good and evil. More spiritually speaking, the Ruach is the ‘spirit soul’, as opposed to the ‘animal soul’ of the Nefesh or the ‘higher soul’ of the Neshamah. Or in opposition, for the more profoundly searching, to the Chayyah and Yehidah of the Raaya Meheimna.

Most Hydes don’t think on that scale. Most Hydes stick to what they know and suffer under; the Ruach, for better or for worse, is the system that guides their lives.

Another important symbol around the Hydes is that fleeting presence of Twilight, although Ruach remains their ‘official symbol’. Twilight is a time of transience, of change, and while ‘change’ is the watchword of any true Promethean, it is of exceptional potency to the Hydes. Especially their shifting form torments them, for while a change from Henry to Edward is agonizing morally, it is suitably wretched to perform physically – yet necessary, to temper a Hyde’s developing Azoth.

While every Hyde differs from his fellow Pilgrimage walking brothers, they display some similarities. For example, most Hydes are disgusted by the nature of whichever form they are not presently in. Edward thinks Henry is a weak coward; Henry thinks Edward is a depraved monster dragging them both to Hell. Both are right, to some degree, for most Hydes.

It is important to note that neither form of a Hyde is completely human. Both are ‘half humans’. Without any indulgence to evil inside of him, Henry is permanently tired, bored with life and generally lacks vitality. Eventually, Henry simply wears away into depression and hollowness; eventually, Henry cannot survive as merely Henry.

Without any capacity for mercy or charity, Edward is forced into cyclic behavior, becoming more a beast with every descent into sin. Eventually, Edward makes enemies who threaten or destroy him; eventually, Edward cannot survive as merely Edward.

As befitting their bipolar characteristics, Hydes often have ‘mixed’ relationships with their Demiurges. As Henry, they are usually too afraid to speak against their makers, becoming obsequious slaves to their master’s whims.

Yet a simple look in the mirror can turn Henry into Edward, whereupon the Hyde exhibits frightening displays of affection for the Demiurge. Remember, Edwards feel released, powerful and God-like. They are grateful to their maker – for a time. These relationships tend to become corrupted, however, as the Edward realizes that they are now ‘beyond’ their maker. Hubris creeps into the relationship, and the Edward seeks, one fateful day or night, to confront and rule their maker.

Other Prometheans pity Hydes as much as most decent human beings would pity the Tormented if Disquiet did not pollute their compassion. Prometheans realize the hideousness of being unbalanced – their own Humors can be shifted to the wrong proportions. Being permanently in unbalance, as only a Promethean can imagine, would be the worst imaginable state.

Progenitor: Robert Louis Stevenson’s novel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is usually the definitive text on the Lineage of the Dual-Natured. Like the Wretched to Frankenstein, there are certain accuracy problems compared to the true facts of the case; nevertheless, the novel is an excellent start for a would-be student of the Hydes to know what they are studying.

As explained by Dr. Henry Jekyll in “Henry Jekyll’s Full Statement of the Case”, Jekyll was once a young man in the nineteenth century who lived a life of uncertainty and conflict in London, England. The specific root of his problem is not identified, per se, but he describes himself as having been “committed to a profound duplicity of life”. Certain readings of the text have proposed such ‘irregularities’ as a homosexual lifestyle, drug addictions or simply the kind of violence suggested by the ‘Juggernaut’ behavior of Mr. Hyde. “The man trampled calmly over the child’s body and left her screaming on the ground” suggests the boiling Wrath of Mr. Hyde, but his problems could well have stemmed from multiple sources.

Regardless, Dr. Jekyll attempted to remedy his problem. After doing some research, he reached a conclusion, whereby he would split the two natures of his soul asunder, into two separate beings entirely. The good half would walk in one direction, the evil half the opposite one. One could live the pious life of a priest and the other could dwell in some hellhole of an opium den for eternity - for all Jekyll cared.

The public does not know the specific nature of his research. His notes suggest that he wished to hide the knowledge of the transformations so as to prevent future researchers from making the same foolish mistake he did. The book does, however, specify that he used some kind of a powder and tincture combination to return to Henry form after a particularly rough period of being Edward.

“He thanked me with a smiling nod, measured out a few minims of the red tincture and added one of the powders. The mixture, which was at first of a reddish hue, began, in proportion as the crystals melted, to brighten in color, to effervesce audibly, and to throw off small fumes of vapor. Suddenly, and at the same moment, the ebullition ceased, and the compound changed to a dark purple, which faded again more slowly to a watery green”

Nevertheless, after his first change, which was accompanied by terrible physical pain, he felt a rush of power and excitement (culminating in the song “Alive!” in the musical Jekyll and Hyde). He felt ready to indulge in whichever sin he laid his eyes upon, utterly released, in his mind, from the compass of morality.

As time progressed, Jekyll began to transform more often, to escape the mundanely tedious nature of normal life and to become more powerful and full of vigor. Nevertheless, it came with a cost. He began to lose control of his changes – suddenly, he changed in public without the ability to return to Dr. Jekyll without drinking a specific chemical at home.

The cycle continued. Eventually, Mr. Hyde killed a certain Sir Danvers Carew, beating him to death with in an “ape-like fury”.

After this point, his changes became more radical until eventually two gentlemen, Mr. Utterson and Mr. Poole, break into a room where Mr. Hyde has barricaded himself. There, they find that Mr. Hyde has committed suicide, rather than facing the problems that he has created through his evil deeds.

Despite Jekyll’s honest appraisal of his story written in “Henry Jekyll’s Full Statement of the Case”, he neglected to mention one important detail because he honestly wasn’t aware of it. The precise biological and chemical means by which he transformed into his alter ego were recorded and distributed to a couple of associates by Hyde. These associates were informed that the research was complete and tested, but that it should not yet be released to the public because it had not yet “undergone sufficient trials”. Nevertheless, Hyde informed them that they should try it themselves, if nothing else.

In this way, Hyde became more than a single tormented scientist. The word came to represent an entire people of suffering Prometheans.

Other Nicknames: (I can't think of any good ones for some reason - suggestions?)

Appearance: A Henry can, literally, look like anything. Whatever a person looked like before becoming a Hyde is his Henry form.

Perhaps, however, the slight cowardice and the excessive tedium play roles on certain Dual-Natured. Some might develop nervous habits such as chewing their nails, twisting their hair with an idle finger or excessive blinking. These traits develop due to the paranoid fear that Hyde might break through into them at any moment. Or it might be impatience for the returned induction of the exciting thrill of doing what they please, the need to ‘get one’s fix’.

Being in Edward Hyde form, however, is drastically different. First of all, for most normal people, Edward is shorter than Jekyll. As explained by the novel…

“The evil side of my nature, to which I had now transferred the stamping efficacy, was less robust and less developed than the good which I had just deposed. Again, in the course of my life, which had been, after all, nine-tenths a life of effort, virtue and control, it had been much less exercised and much less exhausted. And hence, as I think, it came about that Edward Hyde was so much smaller, slighter and younger than Henry Jekyll”

Therefore, it is possible that Hyde can also be bigger than Jekyll. This is based on the moral compass of the character during their progress through the Hyde Lineage (see Bestowment, below). A more virtuous character has a smaller Hyde.

Edward is described through the book in other ways. He is always ugly – actually, beyond ugly, even revolting or repulsive. People try to avoid eye contact with a Hyde, despising the Hyde with even a casual glance, based on this physical distortion.

He is also noted as having hairy, corded hands. These descriptions generally make Hyde seem like a nightmarish kind of predator. They certainly make him sound terrifying. Even a short glance at Edward makes the viewer see distinct evil.

The change in Size can also effect the clothing of the character. For most people, the midget Hyde looks somewhat peculiar wearing the large clothes of his double. The dragging lab coat, or whatever else the Edward ends up wearing, may look silly – but more likely, based on the above notes, it just enhances the bizarre, terrible nature of Hyde’s looks.

Disfigurement: When Hydes use their power, distant bells are usually heard, as if ringing for some church service. The sound, however, is not so much beautiful as hollow and disquieting. If in Edward form, the character temporarily seems to gain the stature of Henry – and vice versa, as Henry appears to shrink for a few moments if his Edward is shorter.

The conflict between two radical ideals, good and evil, also makes Hyde seem terrifying in another light. The electricity that seems to dance across the Promethean in the midst of a Transmutation has two separate effects on the Hyde at once. One half of his body, arbitrarily chosen, seems to glow radiantly with the power from the electricity, like a fluorescent light, or even like a halo. The other half of the body seems to be tortured by the power; that flesh crackles and burns, and the smell of fried skin is pungent.

Humor: Melancholic (introspective, irritable)

Element: Ruach is the element of the Hydes. Though not of the traditional four (or five) alchemical elements, it is deeply important to the ever-hanging questions of Morality hanging over every Dual-Natured’s head like the sword of Damocles. Ruach is conflicted, but more jagged and fragmented than smooth and swirling. It makes the Hyde animalistic, confused and certainly tormented.

Bestowment: Polarity (see New Transmutations, Bestowments and Prophetissia)

Transmutations: During character creation, a Hyde can choose to select Duality as one of his Transmutation classes, replacing one of the Affinity Transmutations for his Refinement. See the Zeka for the full explanation of these mechanics (Saturnine Night).

Refinements: There are at least two, if not three major branches that most Hydes follow, depending on how they perceive their condition.

Some celebrate the times when they can tap into their animalistic, wild Edward side. They see Henry as a dull but necessary point to ‘bounce off of’ while waiting for the next ‘big hit’. These Hydes usually follow the Refinement of Ferrum (Titans), the path whereby the warrior within can be unleashed; the Hydes of this nature can become ferocious creatures, fighting with unlocked powers and acceptance of any tactic, no matter how brutal.

The other ‘breed’ of Hydes rather resents this type of Hyde. The second type hates (and probably fears) their Edward side, knowing that it is inescapable and, terrifyingly, the polar opposite of everything they once believed in. Nevertheless, those Prometheans who wish to accept and learn from Disquiet and the world’s hatred (and their own hatred) for the Hyde condition may find solace in the Refinement of Stannum (Torment). Stannum suggests that good can come from walking through a valley of darkness for a time, if one keeps their mind alert and their soul ready for change.

The last type becomes Centimani, noting that their Lineage makes them ‘natural candidates’ for the kind of raw chaos seized by the Pandoran brood-masters. After all, a creature that is utterly constituted of being two things at once ought to be at war with the universe, right?

Character Creation: Common Virtues can include Temperance (if the Hyde is exceptionally good at using the two sides of the self to balance one another out, negating good with ‘controlled amounts’ of evil and compensating for evil with good). Additionally, the word Justice becomes critical to many Hydes who wish to follow a similar philosophy of making their existence balanced by compensating for their sinful deeds with a degree of Henry’s nervous kindness.

Vices can come in any flavors, the most common of which are perhaps Wrath (for violent Hydes), Lust (for ‘sexually unleashed’ Hydes) and Gluttony (for drug using, gambling or otherwise sinfully excessive characters). One of the most important Character Creation choices for a Hyde is his Vice, because it usually determines the shape of his polar brother Henry.

Any Attributes make sense, although a ‘balanced character sheet’ is more common than a ‘Min-Max’ style. This is because the strengths and weaknesses of the two natures largely balance one another out. Presence is rarely a high score because of the ugliness of Edward combined with the shyness of Henry. Striking Looks is disallowed for Hydes in Edward form (it temporarily becomes unavailable).

Concepts: Heroine user during rehab, kind mother with violent streak, local priest by day / serial killer by night, elderly doctor seeking extended life through Edward, penny-pinching lawyer doing pro bono work exclusively for racial minorities.

Type of Disquiet: Those touched by the effects of a Hydes’ Disquiet know it for certain because they feel as if their entire soul is being pulled apart. That soccer mom is suddenly obsessively loving with her kids off pitch, kissing and hugging a bit too much – but she’ll attack any player that slide tackles her baby.

The first stage involves dreaming about the conflicts within a victim’s life. Their fears, their ambitions that split them apart begin to haunt every sleeping moment of their lives, becoming suddenly that much more important than before. It remains away by daytime, because the person can busy their mind with other things. But their problems are waiting when the Sandman comes along.

The second stage involves fantasy, during which their problems begin to contaminate their waking hours too. Even at work, in the middle of a business presentation for the boss, they suddenly start wondering if it is normal to want to touch their secretary despite being married. They start wondering if it is acceptable to slide a little considering how very loyal they usually are to their spouse – so kind, so perfect. Would a little slip hurt that badly? Really?

The third stage is the impulse stage, a little tiny taste of the Hyde’s own suffering. For a few moments, the victim’s eyes darken a little and they indulge in their secret craving. They may find themselves rummaging through old paperwork on a whim to find the phone number of an old high school drug contact, in the off chance she’s still selling after hearing the person’s first name in a conversation. They won’t stalk old college romances – but if they meet one in the street with whom they had a particularly animalistic love life with, that might be different.

The fourth stage, to a great extent, similar to possession by Edward. It is the driven stage, where nothing will come between them and their sinful obsession. They will track down every lover they have ever shared a bed (or a telephone booth) with, in the desperate hope to re-enact love scenes of long ago. They will attack someone in a supermarket to get the last box of cookies, in a sudden desire for sugar (even if they’re diabetic). It is terrible and tragic; fortunately, it usually ends quickly because they realize that the Hyde is ‘responsible’ somehow. This is when the mob instinct crops up, because the fourth stage can spread.

(In all cases, it should be noted that victims find it easy to attribute blame to "that strange man", and inevitably, blame falls onto the Promethean who spawned the Disquiet).

Type of Wasteland:

Stage 2  Water in the area gains an odd quality. Drinking it makes a person suddenly feel a rush of energy and power that recedes hours later into ravaging migraines. Only the first drink in this way has such an effect. Animals become pawns of the Wasteland, gaining violent temperaments that pass just as quickly as they come upon people. Those particularly susceptible to mood swings suffer them en masse, then feel guilty afterwards, far more so than usual. Floors and staircases seem a little shaky, but nothing severe yet.

Stage 3  The water has the effect above, but always, not just for the first drink. Speaking of which, no one makes the connection, they just don’t realize at all what is causing it. Animals and people subject to mood swings are permanently experiencing black tempers (many animals are consequently put down). Buildings are less stable, and the occasional stair collapses or door breaks off its hinges.

Stage 4  The water has the effect as noted above, but it also tastes fiery, like a burning whiskey, when consumed and gains an addictive quality that starts weak but grows quickly. Animals and susceptible people, before just violent, are now veritably homicidal with certain triggers and excessively violent without triggers. Buildings experience periodic tremors like an earthquake has passed through and sometimes holes break apart in floors, floorboards showering down onto people below.

Type of Torment: When the Hyde falls victim to his Torment, he becomes utterly Edward for the appropriate period of time. During this period, he takes steps to make it difficult to return to Henry again (some Hydes call this, “burning the bridge”). This extends the period of sinfulness greatly, smashing the antidote potions and so forth. Frequently, the Hyde feels a sudden compulsion to reverse his relationship with something or someone. A car he likes he suddenly desires to desecrate and ruin. He loves his mother, but feels a sudden passion for burning her cat alive to teach the bitch some manners. His betrays his best friend’s deepest, darkest secrets for no reason other than to spoil something that was once clean and pure.

Smaller Quote: “I’ve been thinking about an old Latin phrase recently. Vincit qui se vincit. Maybe you should think about it too sometime”.

New Bestowment

1. Polarity

“Bestowment of The Hydes”

All Hydes have two distinct forms. The first is Edward, the savage, animalistic personality who dominates their periods of unrestrained behavior, a creature of evil and sin. The other is Henry, a quiet and nervous man who either envies the boldness of, or despises the cruelty of his younger brother. When in Henry form, the usual statistics are retained. Hyde form, however, is somewhat different, granting several benefits or drawbacks when taken.

Cost: None (Normal) or 1 Pyros (Nightmare)

Action: Instant to change; Reflexive once in Edward form to gain Dice Pool benefits Nightmare uses.

Transmutation Cost: Higher of Dexterity or Presence * 7

The base form of the character is Henry, using regular statistics. Taking the form of Edward usually does not cost anything, but if the character desires a Nightmare use of the Bestowment (see below), it costs one Pyros. The Normal use of the Bestowment costs nothing to activate.

Both Uses

Whichever use is chosen, the character experiences nauseating pain as he switches into Edward. His Size level decreases by one if his Humanity is above five, remains the same if his Humanity is precisely five, and increases by one if his Humanity is less than five. This means that a higher Humanity reduces the Size of the Edward form and a lower Humanity increases the Size. For example, a starting character of Humanity 7 has an Edward Size of 4 (assuming he has not traded two Humanity levels for experience, in which case his new size equals his old one). Size is indicative of the relative power between the forms; the larger form is the stronger form.

Although a smaller Size usually reduces Speed, this is not so for Edward. Rather, his Speed score increases in Edward form by one point for every dot in Dexterity he possesses (so his speed equals his Henry Size + Strength + twice his Dexterity + miscellaneous modifiers. Corporeum can allow him to artificially increase his Dexterity Attribute dots for this purpose.

Over time, this Bestowment becomes addictive to use (only for genuine Hydes, not for those Prometheans who purchase the Bestowment). As time progresses, at the STs discretion, Willpower must be spent not to change to Hyde form for a certain amount of time per week or month.

The small size also deceives insofar as strength is concerned. Edward form characters may swap their Strength and Composure scores for the extent of the transformation if so desired (this modifies all appropriate Advantages, including Willpower, and is effective for all purposes, including combat).

If the Hyde ever lowers in Humanity to level 5, the Hyde must take Edward form literally half of the time, to as precise a fraction as possible. If he lowers to 4, Edward becomes his base form and the Bestowment is instead used to return to normal form. If Edward ever becomes a character’s base form, it becomes permanently activated to Normal use. If the player wishes, they can spend 1 Pyros to change it to Nightmare use for one scene.

Finally, it should be noted that a transformation to Edward only lasts one scene. At the end of the scene, the character is forced to return back once more. Torment makes this more difficult.

Nightmare Use Only

His appearance in Edward form is revolting, negating the 10-again rule on most Social rolls that Edward makes attempting to charm. That is to say, any Presence Social roll in which appearance plays an important role (not a telephone conversation, for example) in winning trust, inspiring love or flirting.

However, any Presence Social roll made to intimidate, cajole, inspire hatred or enflame a target gains the 8-again quality. Again, appearance must be related to the role to gain this benefit. By spending an additional Pyros per roll, he can reflexively re-roll any failed dice aiming for this purpose (the Rote quality) in a resolved Dice Pool.

Again, only if the Nightmare Use is being utilized, the transformation is more than just painful for the Hyde – it is terrifying for witnesses. During the Instant Action change, if the Hyde wishes, he can make a Reflexive Presence + Intimidation roll against witnesses to scare them off, inspire nausea or petrify them with fear.

Other Prometheans

Other Prometheans can gain this Bestowment for the cost displayed above. Such a change does not cause the addiction quality of the Bestowment, but does grant them the Normal and Nightmare uses of the Bestowment for use.

New Transmutations

1. Duality

The study of Duality trains a mind to accept that every person has at least two natures, and that the exercise of these two states in combination can provide a unique and special advantage over lesser, divided spirits. The powers relate to the inherent dual nature of every person, and certainly every Hyde. Duality focuses on the general ‘theme’ of confusion and combination.

Muddled Man (●)

Nobody has every talent at once. But thanks to Muddled Man, appropriate substitutes can be put into place for ‘knowing everything at once’. Muddled Man allows the substitution of one Attribute for another, at any given instant. However, the penalties for doing so are noteworthy.

Cost: 1 Pyros

Dice Pool: Resolve + Azoth

Action: Reflexive

For one certain action, any Attribute can be substituted for the character’s required Attribute. For instance, if the Hyde is activating Multitasking (see below, roll of Resolve + Azoth), but only has Resolve 1, he can instead use his Strength score of four to boost his roll.

However, the next two times the character uses the swapped Attribute (Strength, in the above example), he uses the base Attribute from this power’s usage (Resolve, in the above example). So if he tries to smash apart a piece of wood to improvise a weapon, he uses his Resolve of 1 to do so – not his Strength of four. And then, if he tries to hurt someone with that tool, the Resolve 1 comes into play again.

The swapped Attribute must always exceed the base Attribute by at least one dot.

Muddled Man cannot enjoy the benefits of the Muddled Man Transmutation.

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: only the penalty noted above applies. The benefit is never actually gained.

Failure: the power fails to activate.

Success: the power activates, as noted above.

Exceptional Success: only the next roll made by the character suffers the inhibitory effect – not the next two rolls.

The Invisible Compass (● to ●●●●●)

This power allows the Hyde to conceal his true Humanity under a mask of depravity, or of saintly goodness. He can increase and decrease his perceived Humanity (for almost all magic divination purposes), to throw off his enemies, or even his friends.

Cost: None, 1 Pyros per adjustment

Dice Pool: None

Action: None, Instant to adjust

With The Invisible Compass, the Hyde can raise or lower his Humanity by up to one level per dot held in this Transmutation. For instance, a Hyde with Humanity five and the second level of this Transmutation could mask his Humanity as being anywhere between three and seven. Each adjustment is made as an invisible and Instant action, costing one Pyros. Only one such change can be orchestrated per scene (hence the superiority of higher levels of this Transmutation).

For anyone reading the character’s Humanity for any purpose, this power cheats them into believing what they see. That said, it does not make the Hyde immune to good or evil acts that can expose his true nature. Just because the character pretends to have Humanity three, his Humanity eight roots are revealed when he risks his life to save that of a child.

An effective Humanity can never be adjusted away from the real thing by more than (double the dots held in this Transmutation).

Varying Perspectives (●,●● or ●●●●)

This power allows a character in Edward or Henry form to gain the moral perspective of the other character for a moment without needing to fully transform. Henry Jekyll sometimes has a hard time understanding the evils of man, and this Transmutation lets him see through his darker brother’s side for an important moment.

Cost: 1 Pyros or 1 Willpower (fifth dot)

Action: Reflexive

Summoning up the ‘other side’ of the Promethean is a simple action to activate, a mere glimpse into the other side of the character’s soul. Edward can only use this to gain insight into the actions of people doing inherently ‘good’ things (acting on Virtues, being Doves, helping people and being selfless, for instance – or fighting Derangements). Henry uses it for people doing bad things (acting on Vices or Derangements, being cruel or sadistic, etc.)

For a moment, the other side whispers to the active one from its slumber on the dark side of the moon, and the character gains the 9-again quality on an Empathy roll made to understand the actions of the perceived character. At the second dot preparation, the 8-again quality is instead gained; at the fourth dot level, the Rote quality is gained on the next such roll (but this level requires a Willpower point expenditure).

Exiled Madness (●● or ●●●●)

When this power is used, one or more Derangements is/are shunted into the dark recesses of the character’s mind. They still surface, when the opposite personality appears, but at least one part of the brain is kept clean of mental sickness. Relatively clean, anyway.

Cost: 1 Willpower dot

Action: Extended

This power takes a long period of meditation, during which Jekyll attempts to shunt all the chains of his mental sickness to Hyde’s side of the brain. Prepared at the second dot level, one Derangement can be thus moved. At the fourth dot, a second one can also be moved. This power is only used once at each preparation level. Therefore, this Transmutation can only move a maximum of three Derangements (one at second dot, two at fourth dot), which will hopefully salve the deranged Hyde’s brain.

If the meditation is successful, Jekyll effectively does not have the Derangement. But when Hyde takes over, he suffers the Severe form of the Derangement instead of the Mild, and if the shunted Derangement was Severe in the first place, he suffers a –2 penalty to all rolls made to contain or control the lunacy.

Buying back Willpower dots spent in this way, and this way only, costs four experience points, not the usual eight.

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: the character immediately activates the Derangement(s) to be ‘exiled’, and it/they remain(s) in play for an entire 24-hour period. This ritual cannot be attempted again for 48 hours.

Failure: no successes are put into play.

Success: successes are contributed towards the whole.

Exceptional Success: many successes are gained towards the ritual’s ends.

Multitasking (●● or ●●●●)

Hyde is a separate intelligence to Jekyll – the Ruach stretches in both directions for this character. Both poles of the Ruach are used at once with this character, which can thereby concentrate on two tasks simultaneously.

Cost: 1 Willpower

Dice Pool: Resolve + Azoth

Action: Instant

If this power is successfully used, the user can perform an Extended, Mental action in addition to whatever else he is doing at the moment. For instance, if Hyde wants to be figuring out how to break into a building while he is in a fist fight on his way there, he could have Henry performing that task while he is beating the living snot out of some gangsters, with Vitality.

However, if the nature of the task defies what the twin would want to be doing, a Manipulation + Persuasion roll is required to seduce the second party to do the task for him. In the above example, Henry no doubt objects to breaking into a building, but he can be persuaded, because Edward is in active control of the Azoth (the ultimate power chip).

If this second roll fails, Multitasking is put on hold as a success until the suggestion can be heavily rephrased, or until a new purpose is conjectured. Each successive persuasion attempt in a scene is made at a cumulative –1 penalty. If Multitasking is not used within a scene, it vanishes – the Willpower point is wasted.

Henry is good at this contemplative stuff, but Edward struggles to focus. If Edward is performing the Extended, Mental action, he suffers a cumulative –1 penalty on the appropriate roll for each roll he is forced to labor over.

The fourth dot level of this power negates the need to struggle against the second mind. Provided the Azoth-based roll passes, no persuasion tactic is required to sway the other party.

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: the character suffers a hideous headache, suffering –1 to all actions for the remainder of the scene. For the next three rounds, this penalty is –2, instead, as the pain is especially fierce at its onset.

Failure: the power does not activate.

Success: the power works, as noted above, for up to one scene.

Exceptional Success: the 9-again benefit is gained for the Extended action.

Roll Modifiers

Edward is the active intelligence (+2, because Henry focuses better), Henry is the active intelligence (-2, because Edward struggles to focus)

Enhanced Archetypes (●●●)

Hyde is classically seen as primal, cruel, strong and vigorous. Jekyll is usually seen as composed, straightforward, generous and well intentioned. Enhanced Archetypes allows a character to make these two archetypes significant in game rule terms as well as in flavor, making Hyde’s predatory aspect mechanics-relevant.

Dice Pool: Intelligence + Azoth

If this power is successfully used, the character becomes ‘more like Hyde’ in Edward form and ‘more like Jekyll’ in Henry form. This change is made for the rest of the scene. Whenever the character is Edward, he gains that benefit. A Polarity change to the other side will gain Hyde’s benefit instead.

Being in Edward form increases the character’s Strength for the purposes of Grappling maneuvers by two. He also gains a +2 bonus to all Perception checks, as his senses are brought to life by his primal form.

Being in Henry form increases the character’s sociability and firm moral character. He gains a +2 bonus to any Social roll made to persuade someone of his goodness and purity, or to have people help him out in a crunch “because he just seems so nice”. He also gains four dice instead of three when he spends Willpower towards acts of goodness, or when struggling against his inherent evil.

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: make all the above bonuses into penalties. Since the character must be one state or the other, he is destined for one penalty group.

Failure: the action and the Pyros are wasted.

Success: the enhanced archetypes remain in effect for an entire scene, at the end of which the normal forms of both personalities are resumed.

Exceptional Success: all the above bonuses are changed from bonuses of two dice to bonuses of three dice. Five dice are gained for good acts performed by Jekyll.

Seeing Double (●●●)

Characters utilizing this Transmutation create a second self to fight alongside them – at least, to all appearances. While this secondary creation is false, lacking any substance, it can pretend to be attacking, and can dodge convincingly, at that. The illusion, when ‘killed’, is revealed to be false when it collapses into a splashing rush of water, like an overturned bucket.

Dice Pool: Wits + Subterfuge

When this power is used, the Hyde appears to be transforming into his alter ego. Whether or not he really is would be up to the character – he may do so, spending the Pyros as usual, as part of this action, or he could just be bluffing. This is a shocking burst of light and sound, and when the sensory bombardment ends, there are two characters there – one resembles Edward, and one resembles Henry. Which one is real is not entirely clear.

The created character can be role-played by the utilizing character, and can even seem to be attacking, but his attacks deal no damage (seeming to ‘narrowly miss’), and he can utilize no powers – basically, he cannot affect the world in an active way. He has one Health dot for each success scored on the activating roll, to a maximum of the Health that form could usually possess. (For instance, a character with Stamina 1, creating a small Edward illusion, will max out at five successes).

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: the transformation is painfully obvious (either as real or false), and the character wastes his action and Pyros. He has no effective Defense until the next round.

Failure: the action and such are wasted, but he retains his Defense.

Success: the illusion is created (and masked by the ‘flash of light’). It has one Health dot per success scored. Against all other effects such as mind control, it shares the real Hyde’s statistics.

Exceptional Success: the character has a more than average number of Health dots. Extra successes may be ‘wasted’ if the maximum for the illusion is reached, with spillover successes.

Separate Vitality (●●● or ●●●●●)

Through use of this power, powers that affect Jekyll will fail to affect Hyde, and vice versa. Similarly, even toxins introduced to the system of one twin will fail to affect the other. At the highest level of this power, Health is even tracked separately for the two characters.

Cost: 3 Pyros + 1 Willpower

Dice Pool: Stamina + Resolve

At the third dot level of preparation, Separate Vitality ensures that any poisons, magic influences, and so forth, do not ‘carry over’ from Jekyll to Hyde, or from Hyde to Jekyll. This could allow the character to effectively ‘through off’ one or more such influences, to avoid them for the sake of a scene or two, until the brother returns. For instance, if Jekyll has been poisoned, and is afraid that he will succumb to the effects before long, he can shift into Hyde, and consequently survive. Or if a Vampire has entranced him with Majesty, he could spend the Willpower required to gain temporary control long enough to shift, and throw off the chains of influence.

This power is to be used before such effects occur, and remains in effect for one day per success, at the end of which all effects held on either character suddenly begin to effect both. However, if they have been cured, they do not ‘return’. For instance, in the poison example above, if Hyde managed to obtain an antidote, and already switched back to Jekyll long enough to consume it, the poison has been effectively overcome. This power, then, makes an excellent delay system, but never cures any effects leveled upon the Hyde.

At the fifth dot level, wounds taken by one character are not shared by his alternate form. However, regeneration of lost Health does not occur unless the current character state is damaged.

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: any effects put upon the character have a doubled effect, from double damage on poison, to upgrading Successes to Exceptional Successes with negative magical effects layered onto the character.

Failure: the power does not work; any notated effects above simply influence both character ‘sides’ at once.

Success: the character is protected in the manner described above for one day per success (that is, twenty-four hours per success).

Exceptional Success: the ward need not be renewed for quite some time. Additionally, the next time the power is activated, the Pyros cost is reduced to “2 Pyros” (and no Willpower points are required).

Turmoil of the Two-Fold Mind (●●●●)

Most people are poorly adjusted to their two natures. By the simple unlocking of a given individual’s second soul, the Hyde can send them into sweeping degeneration of sickness and depravity.

Cost: 1 Willpower

Dice Pool: (Manipulation + Intelligence + Persuasion) versus (Composure + Azoth)

The Hyde need only explain his view of man’s inherent duality to set this Transmutation in motion. Note that this explanation takes several rounds to perform, and is therefore ill suited to a combat situation.

Should the power succeed, the victim is sent into confusion and madness by the effects of the enchantment, which makes the subject stomach both elements of his immortal soul at once. He cannot focus, and stammers through his words, often breaking out into heavy sweating and shivering. The character cannot spend any Willpower to boost Dice Pools, and, in fact, suffers a –2 to all actions for the remainder of the scene. A Willpower point can be spent to eliminate this penalty for one action, effectively negating the penalty (but not providing any bonus dice).

The character’s Composure and Resolve are reduced by one each during this time, although his Advantages are not affected. This effect only reduces his defenses against mental intrusion, and lowers Dice Pools the character might make based on these Attributes.

Hydes are immune to this power, as are any Prometheans who have taken the Polarity Bestowment.

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: the character himself is thrown into dismay at his inherent Duality, and cannot spend Willpower for any active purpose for the rest of the scene. Defensive purposes are still acceptable.

Failure: the action and the Willpower point are wasted.

Success: the enchantment harms the character for one minute for each success the caster gained over the subject’s successes.

Exceptional Success: extra successes are their own reward.

The Best of Both Worlds (●●●●●)

The ultimate ‘combat form’ of the Duality tree, this Transmutation unlocks a hybrid form of both Jekyll and Hyde, which carries over the best of both worlds. The restraint of Jekyll and the mad rage of Hyde are combined, allowing flurries of deadly attacks to be paired with angelic grace and self-control.

Cost: 3 Pyros

Dice Pool: Stamina + Azoth

If the action successfully resolves, the hybrid form is created – a nightmarish mish-mash of the two forms of Jekyll and Hyde. The character is literally ‘split down the middle’, but for the sake of this power, the two sizes of the characters are equal. Jekyll’s side of the face will no doubt be calm and composed, while the Hyde side is berserk and unleashed (“Hyde at his worst”).

The character can perform an All-Out Attack every round if he chooses, while maintaining the benefits of the Dodge action at the same time. Thereby, the Hyde gains +2 to all attacks, and simultaneously gains double Defense against all close combat attacks.

Furthermore, any Willpower points spent during combat allow the benefits of offense and defense. If a Willpower point is spent, the character gains +3 on his next attack that round, and also gains +2 Defense, or +2 to any resistance Advantage (say, to his Resolve to deflect mind control attempts).

Needless to say, The Best of Both Worlds comes at a cost. The character must roll a Humanity check as per a sin of Humanity 4 to avoid degenerating. Inevitably, using the Edward side too much taxes away a character’s inherent balance of good and evil.

Due to the ‘split in half’ nature of this power, most Social rolls short of Intimidation are next to impossible during this time. The character appears to be nightmarish and horrible, a twisted demon from someone’s worst nightmares – not a reasonable and rational human.

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: the character merges the two sides incorrectly, and automatically the next few Social rolls he makes. Also, his Dexterity and Presence scores are reduced by two each for the next scene.

Failure: the Pyros is wasted and the transformation does not take place.

Success: the hybrid form is reached, and can be sustained for one round, plus one round for each success scored.

Exceptional Success: the character gains a +2 bonus on the Degeneration roll at the end of the power’s function (assuming he has to make one).

Any and all comments appreciated. Even if you just hate it. I want to see if it is Chronicle-use worthy or not, and your opinions are better than mine for that. After all, I - of course - love my precious baby. So kill that baby!

You're on my to do list, sorry, but it's just too much to go through between my projects...

Edited by Vampir

The concept is quite sound but I don't really get the feel of a Lineage from the provided write-up. The base premise of Promethean is that you are playing something that never was human, while the Jekyll/Hyde story seems like they are still human but with a darker side...

The change in Size can also effect the clothing of the character.

It's affect

New Bestowment + New Transmutations

I'll read those later this week...

Don't get me wrong - I know it's a twist on the Promethean legend. But in my mind, what Jekyll birthed was a new individual altogether. Hyde is pure evil. I mean - sure, the evil was in him all along. He unlocked it - he didn't create it. What he did create, however, was an identity for it to take, a 'face to the name', a form for it to take. What you play is someone who is locked in a battle between Demiurge and Created. Because unfortunately enough, you share a body.

I guess that's the easiest way to see it. Jekyll is the Demiurge. Hyde is the Promethean. Hyde has never been human, and probably never will be. And Jekyll is a person of obsession, and a Demiurge - which the side books of Promethean have focused on developing as engines of obsession. All of this just seemed like too much for me to ignore when I reread it (quite shortly after finishing the Promethean Core).

Glad you read it, anyway. And you're quite right. Affected. :hehe:

Don't get me wrong - I know it's a twist on the Promethean legend. But in my mind, what Jekyll birthed was a new individual altogether. Hyde is pure evil. I mean - sure, the evil was in him all along. He unlocked it - he didn't create it. What he did create, however, was an identity for it to take, a 'face to the name', a form for it to take. What you play is someone who is locked in a battle between Demiurge and Created. Because unfortunately enough, you share a body.

Does this mean that unlike all other Prometheans, the Henry persona not only has access to all memories from before being a Promethean but is still the same person?

I think it would be unfair to call Henry the "same person" as the Demiurge. Henry is the buried part of the Demiurge, 'brought to life'. He has Jekyll's memories because they share a mind. He knows how to use Jekyll's body because they share a body. However, they are not the same person because they do not share a soul. Arguably, Hyde does not have a soul at all - because he has been created as an agent of PureEvil , and was not 'shaped by God' or whatever. The Demiurge has a soul, still, but because half the time he walks the earth as the soulless Hyde, you could say that his spirit has been knocked out of alignment, too.

You know, the more I talk about this, the less I think it resembles Promethean, and the more I think it resembles something trippy that doesn't quite fit any of the gamelines. Except Werewolf. :lipssealed:

You know, the more I talk about this, the less I think it resembles Promethean, and the more I think it resembles something trippy that doesn't quite fit any of the gamelines.

Yeah... you'd have to change it a bit to fit...

Hell, it could be as simple as the Demiurge constructing a brew of 'changing liquid' (which conveniently enough constitutes Humour), and then pumping it into the corpse of someone who was distinctly 'something' during life. When the thing rises, it is half-something, and half anti-something. An honest priest rises with half of a Satanic soul. A loving mother representing life rises with half her soul dedicated to killing babies. Tons of fun!

Yes, that definitely helps make things better... but there's little in the description that points the reader in that direction...

Muddled Man (●)

I'd change the wording to infer that you swap the ratings of given Attributes, same thing but somehow it feels cleaner.

I'd also think that if you'd have a time limit on it, it would reduce the book-keeping of noting how many times an Attribute was used.

The Invisible Compass (● to ●●●●●)

Looks good but I can't think of any Morality checking powers so I'm not sure if the Transmutation is needed...

Varying Perspectives (●,●● or ●●●●)

Quite interesting...

Exiled Madness (●● or ●●●●)

This is an Extended action but no where in the write-up there's an indication of how much successes need to be gained or if said amount is different for all the levels. Aside from me not liking the clause about buying back Willpower for half cost, the only other problem is no indication of what's the duration. Is it permanent or not?

Multitasking (●● or ●●●●)

This is quite a good one...

Enhanced Archetypes (●●●)

Same thing...

Seeing Double (●●●)

Quite interesting...

Separate Vitality (●●● or ●●●●●)

Now this is quite cool...

Turmoil of the Two-Fold Mind (●●●●)

It's nice...

The Best of Both Worlds (●●●●●)

This is very munchkin... and just for 3P... I'd add some Willpower cost to it...