Sign in to follow this  
Froggy711

The Dissident Society (Sons of Ether: Mad Scientists)

The Dissident Society (Left-Handed Legacy)

Parent Path: Any (A great number of Dissidents are Moros or Mastigos)

Nickname: Mad Scientists

Parent Order: Free Council (former member)

Requirements: At least one active derrangement is required to use any attainment. (because they are crazy;])

1st Attainment: Brilliant Madness (Requires some degree of Gnosis, Mind, and Science)

The Dissident works himself up into a fit of derranged inspiration, enabling him to come up with a possible solution to a problem at hand, using "skewed" mathematics, "flawed" science, and a lot of inspiration. It should be noted, however that the solution NEVER takes into account moral concerns. In fact, this attainment often FAVORS solutions that are immoral, if not merely amoral.

2nd Attainment: Abby. Abby Someone. (Gnosis, Higher Mind, Life, Science)

With this attainment, the Dissident can remove a victim's brain (killing them, obviously) and place it in a vessel (usually a jar) which the Mad Scientist can then use mind magic to read the memories of the brain. The memories deteriorate over time however, and there is nothing that can be done about this.

3rd Attainment: It's Alive! (Requires Gnosis, Matter*** or perhaps more, more Science, Resources of at least ***, Sanctum***)

The Dissident can spend a great deal of time, combining living tissue (many dissidents use human tissue, or simian, but any will work) with nonliving tissue to create a zombie (as the death *** spell) which can then be implanted with a brain made by the 2nd attainment to give it a small degree of free will. Very little remains of the original personality, however, and usually has at least 1 derrangement, depending on how old the brain is. The mage can also use the jury-rig spell to give the automaton other "functions", like a built-in computer, or a chainsaw.

You maybe interest in looking at this topic for some ideas: myself, I would declare that Science! is Abyssal, and you must pay one Resistamce Bashing Damge for use it anything of this merits.

Donor

Well, sorry if it's sound offensive, and all my apologies if so, but this feel more like a joke than a serious legacy idea (even if I really like the 1st attainment idea, pehaps you could pair it with a wisdom loss). The arcana progression is non-existent, the powerlevel is awfully low (no-one would join it if it's useless. Yeah, even if they are crazy), there's no real theme aside cliché, and the attainments are more quirk than real one.

If it's not an humor legacy, well, there's always a first time. My first legacy wasn't better, and my actual still need many improvements. If you want to improve this one, you first have to find a theme for it, and devellop ideas from it. For now I can't find any (aside from cliché, as I said). Your attainments must be at the core of what they do: I'm not sure they extract brains and create aware zombie with it all the day :)

You maybe interest in looking at this topic for some ideas: myself, I would declare that Science! is Abyssal, and you must pay one Resistamce Bashing Damge for use it anything of this merits.

Hmm... perhaps....

Well, sorry if it's sound offensive, and all my apologies if so, but this feel more like a joke than a serious legacy idea (even if I really like the 1st attainment idea, pehaps you could pair it with a wisdom loss). The arcana progression is non-existent, the powerlevel is awfully low (no-one would join it if it's useless. Yeah, even if they are crazy), there's no real theme aside cliché, and the attainments are more quirk than real one.

If it's not an humor legacy, well, there's always a first time. My first legacy wasn't better, and my actual still need many improvements. If you want to improve this one, you first have to find a theme for it, and devellop ideas from it. For now I can't find any (aside from cliché, as I said). Your attainments must be at the core of what they do: I'm not sure they extract brains and create aware zombie with it all the day :)

Yeah, you are probably right. I was being serious, but I was also being rather silly, so... *shrug*

Plus it's still pretty rough.

The basic idea of the OWOD dissidents was that they were Sons of Ether that basically left the tradition due to the creation of an ethics council. They felt that Science should not be hindered by little things like... ethics. So that's basically the idea I am going for here. A techgnostic legacy that got fed up with the direction of the Free Council (possibly splitting with them as far back as the Great Refusal) and has decided that they can do whatever they want with their Science (or magic) and be damned that anyone stand in their way.

These were the first three ideas that popped into my head. I tried to think of attainments that were very "Mad Scientist"-y. And the quintessential thing that mad scientists do is extract brains and put them in automatons. Like you, I also liked the first attainment.

Edited by Froggy711

Donor

So your theme is "Amoral Scientist", like the ones who created the atomic bomb without thinking of the repercussions (like, you know, dead people).

Parent Order: Free Council

Parent Path: Any

Bending the law of reality would involve as Primary Arcanum Force. The spark of malevolent genius would involve Mind and Wisdom loss (no automatic or prerequisite derangement, it will come by itself with degeneration).

From this, you can perhaps do something :)

As I see it, we can make Atteinmants made based on Merits prequistion, just like in Legacy form Free Council book is based on Occultaion. Our Merit tree would be based on this Merit:

Spark (*)

Prequsition: Major Template

Effect: Even if this Character has taken transformation in truly supernatural being ( Embrace, First Change, Awakening, etc.), she has remind under influence of Science! Spark, idea that emodids her. Normaly, after transformation in to so called Major Template you lose those abilities, this peculiar character has those powers intact. But, as always, the powers she use, she must pay in Resistance Bashing Damage.

Atteinments could be made on relising those Damages as Paradoxes on other people, without neccery to paying the price for it.

Price of Progress (**)

Prerquisition: Spark!

Effect: Character has learned how to pay the price of using Science! Merits in „spendable” Advantage (Essence, Mana, Vitea, etc.) instead of Resistance Bashing Damages.

Option: Too low Price

If you don't like idea of spending, for example, Mana to use Science! Merits, you can bypass it. When ether is called Price of Progress Merit, you change it in to Spark! and Mana Cost back in to Resistance Bashing Damage. So in this way, Dissident Society have even more motivation too use it's 1st Attainment.

1st Attainment Not my problem

Preqisition: Gnosis 3, Price of Progress

Character can change to not pay the normal price of using Science! Merits or Ars Nova magic made based on Science! or Hypertech in Mana or Paradox. She can unleashed Paradox Effect of Severity equal to Mana Cost or Paradox Dices on to anyone in his sensory range. If victim is Mage, Mana Cost or Paradox Dices of Dissidents is automatic successes added to Paradox roll, that is made on normal rules for the victim. It is Wisdom sin at level of 3 (How do you think about it? Should it made lower or higher?).

Most Dissidents need preciouses Mana for their experiments, and don't want to pay price in flash, thinking about themselves as Conductors of Progress, that are need to be save before their own internal corruption.

2nd Attainment Breakthrough!

Prequsisition: Gnosis 5, ??? ( Needed new Merit connected to it), Science level of used Gnosis (see below)

Dissident can cast a spell of Arcanum level higher than his actual level of understanding, just like in sidebar „To the limit” in Tome of Mysteries, page 168, with change, that he can cast spell up to his Gnosis level BEYOND normal limit, up to his Science Skill dots. Also, Paradox Pool for this spell is (Normal Pool +3)* Gnosis level used to it.

Dissidents of this level of power over Science! use typically Breakthrough! with Not my problem, making total chaos in Consiliums they show themselves.

What do you think about that treatment? I don't know original Mad Scientists, but, in my opinion, this way made Dissident scary as hell for Mages, that are equaling them to Mads ( as it seclude be). But also, Dissidents have logical motivation to become member of Legacy – power on the Paradox is terrifying one.

So your theme is "Amoral Scientist", like the ones who created the atomic bomb without thinking of the repercussions (like, you know, dead people).

Parent Order: Free Council

Parent Path: Any

Bending the law of reality would involve as Primary Arcanum Force. The spark of malevolent genius would involve Mind and Wisdom loss (no automatic or prerequisite derangement, it will come by itself with degeneration).

From this, you can perhaps do something :)

I was actually thinking more along the lines of being actively amoral than passive. In your above example, the scientists can blame the government that asked them to do it, and the government can blame the enemy.

I am more talking about a scientist who tires of rats and uses people. Why? Well, to extend their own scientific understanding. There are significant differences between a rat and a person. Taking things they have learned from the rat and applying it to a person is an additional step, brought about by a moral concern for people's wellfare, that the Mad Scientist just does not have time for.

This kind of makes the Mad Scientist an odd duck in the council. What you end up with is someone that sees the supernal in the modern creations of man, and because of his special understanding of those symbols, pursues them. But at the same time, morality (and thus Wisdom) is only something that gets in the way. The dissident is ravenous for knowledge, not just of the supernal, but also of science. Imagine how much a scientist could learn by using magic, and how much more they could learn if they left moral concerns aside! In that way, the Dissidents have a sort of tunnel vision.

Weird Experiments

Take a look at #2, #5, #8, #11, #19, #20...

Price of Progress (**)

Prerquisition: Spark!

Effect: Character has learned how to pay the price of using Science! Merits in „spendable” Advantage (Essence, Mana, Vitea, etc.) instead of Resistance Bashing Damages.

Option: Too low Price

If you don't like idea of spending, for example, Mana to use Science! Merits, you can bypass it. When ether is called Price of Progress Merit, you change it in to Spark! and Mana Cost back in to Resistance Bashing Damage. So in this way, Dissident Society have even more motivation too use it's 1st Attainment.

1st Attainment Not my problem

Preqisition: Gnosis 3, Price of Progress

Character can change to not pay the normal price of using Science! Merits or Ars Nova magic made based on Science! or Hypertech in Mana or Paradox. She can unleashed Paradox Effect of Severity equal to Mana Cost or Paradox Dices on to anyone in his sensory range. If victim is Mage, Mana Cost or Paradox Dices of Dissidents is automatic successes added to Paradox roll, that is made on normal rules for the victim. It is Wisdom sin at level of 3 (How do you think about it? Should it made lower or higher?).

Most Dissidents need preciouses Mana for their experiments, and don't want to pay price in flash, thinking about themselves as Conductors of Progress, that are need to be save before their own internal corruption.

2nd Attainment Breakthrough!

Prequsisition: Gnosis 5, ??? ( Needed new Merit connected to it), Science level of used Gnosis (see below)

Dissident can cast a spell of Arcanum level higher than his actual level of understanding, just like in sidebar „To the limit” in Tome of Mysteries, page 168, with change, that he can cast spell up to his Gnosis level BEYOND normal limit, up to his Science Skill dots. Also, Paradox Pool for this spell is (Normal Pool +3)* Gnosis level used to it.

Dissidents of this level of power over Science! use typically Breakthrough! with Not my problem, making total chaos in Consiliums they show themselves.

What do you think about that treatment? I don't know original Mad Scientists, but, in my opinion, this way made Dissident scary as hell for Mages, that are equaling them to Mads ( as it seclude be). But also, Dissidents have logical motivation to become member of Legacy – power on the Paradox is terrifying one.

Hard for me to comment... I haven't quite got a grasp of the Science! merits, and I don't have the Tome of Mysteries either.

So, little explanation. :)

Science! (from original topic):

SCIENCE! An act of PRETERNATURAL WILL can drive the engines of creation itself FORWARD. While constructing a device, working out a theory, etc., preternatural insight into the workings of the universe can allow for almost mental-like assumptions, predictions, generalizations and flashes of insight. By spending a point of willpower your scientist can use a knack, which in someways resemble the ritual magic of the sorcerers in second site. All scientists belong to one of 3 (for simplicities sake, I'll just rap off 3 right at the moment) branches of scientific thought. Physical scientists, Life scientists and Engineers, who all have access to knacks, and with training, can access learn each others knacks and even create new cross school knacks with time and effort (this last bit about cross schools is optional, for say, being able to make cybernetics, life and engineering will be needed.)

So, from this, you can see that those Merits are somehow powers that can be used be , ;literal, Mad Scientists . You want character to be able to make impossible devices – give him Gagdetter. You ant to give him to be able to do MacGayver's stuff – give him Jury-Ring.

But there is also dark part of it – what is rely giving you those powers is you Obsession. Some Mages say it's from Abyss, some say from Supernal – but one thing sure – it's not from this world.

I don't have enough ideas of very nasty powers, but I think this is in good mood for Amoral Scientists. „With this equation you can revers gravity!” „Yeah, I know it” „ But to make it, you need so much energy – where you will get it?” „From human lives.” „What?” „You will see... <slash>”

Just like hedged magicians from SS, those powers are means to color stories and GENARATE new story hooks.

But, return to Dissidents, shall we? In Mage Paradox is manifestation of your sins. You over using magic, and more you over use it – more sever it is. Also, if you are less Wisdom, Paradox would be longer. So what would do amoral Mage, if he could? He could put blame on other being – he don't want to suffer Paradox himself. And Paradox is horrific – it's manifest as typical sorts of things from Lovecraft or other “alien horrors”. To realest Paradox on someone else is truly nasty power.

So, for now, Dissidents use their powers from Science! and make not working car, working with some weird touch. Nothing happens to him. But women that was walking the street is now under Bedlam ( second stage of Paradox ). She returns to her home, and she see her husband with the other one in her bed. Normally she would react without violence, but she is under Bedlam, so she goes to the kitchen, get knife, and murder the couple in cold blood. She will regret this, but couldn't help it. The Abyss was guiding her. But to Dissident, it's not his problem.

As too the second Attainment Breakthrough!,

Optional Rule: To the Limit

There is a way for mages to step beyond the limits of their understanding, reaching beyond

what they know to accomplish what even they can only imagine. Using this rule puts greater

powers in the hands of the players (and Storyteller mages, for that matter) but only at the risk

of great danger. By guessing at what the Supernal World might hold for him, the mage grasps blindly and pulls down great tangles of magic in order to get his will done. In the end, he may be able to sort out the many higher laws, contradictory and barely within his comprehension, to release his desired effect. Or maybe not.

Using this rule, a player may once per scene opt to have his mage cast an improvised spell of one dot ranking higher that he could otherwise cast. The mage must have at least one dot in any Arcanum necessary for the spell. He uses a base spellcasting pool of his Gnosis + Arcanum (his personal rating, not the minimum needed to cast the spell) for his dice pool, because he can’t have any rotes at that level.

Here are the catches: The spell is vulgar, even if it is normally covert. Also, the attempt adds

three dice to the Paradox roll. Paradox dice can still be removed through mitigation and the use

of magical tools. Finally, it costs one Willpower point to cast a spell rated higher than the mage’s

normal comprehension allows. Should the spell result in a Paradox (as it’s likely to), determine the Paradox at the spell’s dot ranking, not the character’s personal ranking. Furthermore, determine its Duration as if the mage’s Wisdom were reduced by one.

The result is that mages have access to about a fourth of the spells in the book from the very start. But using the most powerful of those is much more likely to drive them really mad or open the door for a powerful creature from the Abyss. A common use is to gain advanced prolongation

Duration factors for a five-dot spell, a feat that normally requires the mage to know six dots.

So, with, rules on Breakthrough!, Dissidents have truly atomic bombs in their hands ( M:tAw, says it's probably Forces 6). If you are Scientific Genius, you can recreate powers of Archmastry. But, as powers of Dissidents comes from Science! (in other words, Obsession) merged with Supernal Magic, Abyss is fully Manifest – when you have 40-some Paradoxes Dices, you will rather want to take them out of you.

So all we need to make them full, we need some nasty Science! Merits ideas – could you make one?

As it is shown, Dissidents are worst sin of Free Council. Those Mages are modern era Mad ones, using their powers, not looking on the world.

As I see it – Dissident Society don't have 3rd Attainment – they are too new, and no one has ever meet Dissident with that power. If any one is a life, he can probably ,literally, destroy the world.

BUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this