Blackswan348

Help me visualize the difference between Shadowlands and the SKinlands

I'm getting ready to run my first Wraith game and I'm very excited about it as well as hopeful my friends will fall in love with a game they never gave a second look when it was released.

The problem I'm having is understanding the way the Skinlands and Shadow intermingle. I know how things look from the Wraith point of view. I know how the Skinlands affect them, but what I can't really get is how to determine what's there and what's not. If my chracter wakes up tomorrow dead in his house, is the house going to be in the Shadowlands, or will another structure that was possibly destroyed years ago be in it's place? I guess it's the only thing I don't get entirely. Am I supposed to pick and choose what's on the others side that might replace what Wraiths see in the Shadowlands, or am I missing the point entirely?

It would be nice for someone to throw some suggestions at me and maybe give me a few examples of what one would see in the examples I've given?

Thanx,

Swan

Donor

It seems a bit blurry, actually, but here's how I would do it.

There are certain places and things that people have become so emotionally invested in that when they're destroyed, they cross the Shroud as Relics. This much is canon. Fires that destroy beloved (or infamous) buildings can produce this effect, for example. You might find the original Grand Central Station sitting in the Shadowlands in the same place the real one is. The pub on the corner that *everyone* went to for fifty years till it burned down, that's probably there.

Other than that, the Shadowlands is supposed to be pretty much a reflection of the real world, except all grungy and deteriorating. So what I'd do is have the structures and paths of the Skinlands be present, but in a "ghostly" way. This would explain why ghosts can 'walk through walls'--because to them, the walls in the house you're living in aren't entirely real. And some places that have gone through a lot of iterations--places that've been renovated multiple times, or gutted and rebuilt--they might sometimes shift between versions, so that sometimes there's a door at the end of that hallway, other times not. In some cases, you might have a place where an older version of the building is much more popular or well-remembered than the current version is, so even though it's not technically a Relic, the older, no-longer-extant version dominates over the modern incarnation. And places that have more emotion invested into them, I think, are probably more "real" to wraiths than other places, so they may become more substantial to them. It could be neat to adjust difficulties for Arcanoi based on this. It may be easier to pick up a glass or open a door in such a place than it would normally be.

Inside, decorations and furniture would probably move around. Murals painted on Skinlands walls might appear and vanish again. Paintings could change, flipping between the different pictures that've hung on that nail in the past (and I'd have additional fun with having some of those pictures move, perhaps acting out the scenes portrayed thanks to the minds of the humans who've looked and imagined over the years...and maybe some of them, especially near Nihils, might get kinda spooky and dark, possibly displaying scenes that end up far uglier than the artist ever intended).

Even roads might occasionally shift. On Tuesdays, you want to take Route 451 down to the corner of 57th Avenue, but try to avoid the cars...especially since some of them aren't really cars. On Fridays, Route 451 isn't even there, so it's faster to take the old cut over the hill...but watch out for specter lumberjacks when you do that, because they live in the old sawmill that a kid set fire to 75 years ago.

Another way to imagine it is sort of like the game jenga. The different houses are superimposed on one another, and depending on how you look at the house, different angles can be seen overlapping one another. Both have "substance" to a wraith, but the real one is the one that is navigated by the living. You can decide as ST whether passing through such historical superimposed structural barriers is the same, or only half damage I think.

Donor

Cool explanations.

One thing that I find gets a bit confusing is that wraiths can see people in the Skinlands. So while in the shadowlands they see what?, Ghosts of the living walking round in the skinlands, visible in the shadowlands? That bit gets me

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.