Archaeus

First Contact

Donor

Does anyone else like to use the groups presented in the book First Contact? I really love the way the groups are presented (as Hunter was the first RPG I ever bought, getting a glimpse at the Inquisition, Project Twilight and the others just made me rush out and buy more books.)

But has anyone else made them fit into thier games? I know my players often ran afoul of the Inquisition or Project Twilight, but only as a way to confuse them. It obviously stopped working after a while.

I've been toying with the idea of including the Inquisition. I haven't read the book very thoroughly (unforgiveable since I have it in pdf, I know) but I'm thinking that the Inquisition could probably take BIG interest in rounding up and recruting these 'chosen by god'. Maybe some Imbued could even make it to the higher echelons of the Inquisition and attempt to turn the Inquisition into a world-wide organisation for the Imbued. The same thing Witness1 tried with the Hunter-Net but in a completely different way. Could be a cool chronicle. Would the players unite with the Inquisition or fight against their dogmatic rule?

Hm... Need to read first-contact through...

IIRC, the Inquisition was not too friendly with the Imbued in First Contact, because the Imbued could not prove their "Chosen-by-God" status, they had wacky powers, and they got in the way. A lot.

True, but it's always the Storyteller's decision whether to decide if being Imbued is just another form of True Faith or not. I've always found it makes games a lot easier to understand and deal with when you treat them as one and the same.

Donor

Hi.

I am the master of the Year of the Hunter material. (I have four of the books) I've always wanted to run a Project Twilight game where the agents begin by investigating gang violence that's really caused by the imbued. :)

True, but it's always the Storyteller's decision whether to decide if being Imbued is just another form of True Faith or not. I've always found it makes games a lot easier to understand and deal with when you treat them as one and the same.

Functionally, perhaps they are the same. But being Imbued is something that got done *to* you, while True Faith is kind of something you do yourself. In True Faith you reach out and touch the Powers that Be. In an Imbuing *they* reach out and touch you.

Donor
Hi.

I am the master of the Year of the Hunter material. (I have four of the books) I've always wanted to run a Project Twilight game where the agents begin by investigating gang violence that's really caused by the imbued. :)

That sounds like a really, really cool storyline. If you ever do get around to running it, make records of the events and post them here... It sounds too cool to pass up.

I see the two as separate and distinct.

After an Imbued's first contact with the Messengers, it's rare to receive any more input from above. While this may be interpreted by religious person as a reflection of their faith, it's also very easy to conceive of "the word" as something else entirely. Mental illness, demonic intervention, voices from extraterrestrials, government mind control, it's all there.

For example, a character in one of our games was the Visionary Crackpot570. He had the Merit that allowed for future contact from the Messengers, and filtered it to the players by way of pirate radio. He was the guy in the tin-foil hat, rolling around the city in a dirty white van full of radio equipment.

His interpretation of "the word" was filtered through whatever conspiracy theory was hot on his mind at the moment. So, while the seed of his info was correct, his broadcasts were filled with end of the world rants and threats to the aliens that were beaming him these messages.

At no point did Crackpot ever have a religious experience, or feel that he was any closer to a god simply because he was Imbued, which is a key to having True Faith.

~Tome

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.