Archaeus

Inspirational Music

Donor

Well, this is my 1st time in the Exalted forum. I enjoy the game, and a good 25% of my Book collection is made up of Exalted books (Percentages can be misleading, but I've got roughly $2000 in books... So, I guess its a good chunk).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else uses music as an inspiration. I used to all the time for Hunter, and I've found a few songs that have produced some wonderful visions of the Exalted world in my head.

Welcome Home: By Coheed and Cambria (sp?)

This song gave me an image of a Solar General durring the Primordial War, recieving orders and heading out to destroy a component soul of a Primordial. I think the line "You stormed off to scar the Armada" really drove it home for me. So I constructed the sequence in my head and told it to one of my players as a dream of one of his past lives. It went over well with the music playing softly in the background for added effect.

Welcome to the Black Parade: My Chemical Romance

Yes... I know. Still, I got an idea for another flashback from this song. It was of a Solar being hunted down by a Sidereal assasin durring the Usurpation. It flowwed nicely with the song, the Solar and Sidereal jumping from tower to tower, destroying glass with shouts and arcane blows...

hrmmm.

So, anyone else use music as an inspiration?

Donor

300 soundtrack. :)

Donor

Niceeeeeee. I recall the movie. Not so much the soundtrack, though...

General

Nightwish

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children soundtrack.

Carnivale Soundtrack

Firefly/Serenity Soundtracks

Pan's Labyrinth Soundtrack

specific

A lot of these may be for more angry times.

Modest Mouse - This Devil's Workday

I used this song once for a soundtrack for a character as a response to the Realm's view of Solars. It always makes me think of a Solar ranting at someone who's under the delusion that Solars are all evil and demonic, especially the end part and the laugh.

My Chemical Romance - Thank You for the Venom

About the same as the Modest Mouse song, and yea yea, it's an MCR song. :P

My Chemical Romance - Ghost of You

Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds

Learning to Fly by Pink Floyd gave me some inspiration for a story involving that Dragon King city whose name eludes me right now. The song is a great song, among my favorites!

Spiderman by The Cure(I think its Spiderman its called...) inspired me to make a mortal onshot horror thingy. Wich was exceptionaly successful, appearantly, as they liked it so much they demanded to continue like that. That was fun.

I have a few others, but their specifics elude me again....

Wow, someone else had the idea for Welcome to the Black Parade. ^_^ But my mental image was for a theme for a character, a Ghostblooded or an Abyssal.

Nightwish is another good one... But I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Curator
Spiderman by The Cure(I think its Spiderman its called...) inspired me to make a mortal onshot horror thingy. Wich was exceptionaly successful, appearantly, as they liked it so much they demanded to continue like that. That was fun.

I believe you mean the song Lullaby by them, can definitley see how it would work.

Donor

Yep, I certainly do use music. A lot of it. It is one of my biggest obsessions, and I integrate it into my games all the time. What is about to follow is a pretty long list of songs, with a brief description of why it fits, or what I feel about it. :D

Band Name/Song Title:Comments

Ayreon - Dragon on the Sea: The song sounds like a song about the Dragon-Blooded Realms Navy going to battle, and though it is about the smashing of the Spanish Armada, the feel, and flow of the song makes it a simply fantastic Water-Aspected track.

Crux Shadows - Deception: Yeah it is pop-infused electro goth, but it is about a creepy little girl, and has a wicked violin piece, as well as a disturbingly catchy beat.

Tea Party - The Bazaar: This always works well for hot passionate action and romance in a Southern bazaar, full of edgy hypnotic rhythms.

Matisyahu - Warrior: Heart-stirring reggae fused with traditional Hassidic sounds, and a truly powerful voice. It makes a great theme song for a Solar of intense compassion...

Big Dumb Face - Blood Red Head: It is heavy, angry, pounding, disturbing and funny. Grim comedy to offset the fact your players are being chased by a relentless flyring blood red head..on FIRE!!!

Nevermore - The River Dragon Has Come: Sure the song was written about the Dams that flooded China, it SOUNDS like it is about an Elemental teaching arrogant kingdoms a lesson. Also, wicked guitars, and awesome vocals.

Vintersorg - Rainbow Demon: Yes, it sounds like a hymn to a Raksha bad-ass, all epic and majestic...and creepy.

Therion - Wild Hunt: Because. It fits.

Gustav Holst - The Planets Symphony: All the Planets of the Maidens covered and yes, this is the man who John Williams has been riding for all these years.

Sigh - The Dead Sing: Creepy post-black metal that fuses in so many types of sounds you cannot define it. Lyrics that sound like they were written for Nephwracks and the Labyrinthine beasties....all from an obscure Japanese band.

Solefald - An Icelandic Odyssey: Bothn albums, Red for Fire and Black for Death are versatile enough, mythologically focussed enough and interesting to make fantastic background music to intense games, especially games in the North.

Nile - Unas the Slayer of Gods: The name should say it all, but if it does not, I will add, it is a fusion of death metal, classical indo-african instruments and thoroughly well-researched lyrics based in the Mytholody and Chronology of Ancient Egypt. Makes awesome background music for games in the South..in fact, the whole In Their Darkened Shrines album is amazing.

Opeth - The Baying of the Hounds: Progressive rock, jazzy time changes, death metal and clean clear vocals leave a haunting feeling. Plus its really poetic lyrics.

Orphaned Land - Mabool: Is an album, a concept album about the Great biblical Flood. Epic, in the vein of Opeth, Nile and other bands that refuse to be bound to a single style. Also, has some great moments for dramatic scenes all across Creation. Fuses Death and Progressive metal, with traditional middle eastern compositions and instruments, as well, as a few other subtle influences.

That is all for today.

>.>

Lullaby?

Perhaps, I only remember it being about a spider comming to eat him. Having him for lunch...

It was a dream, I think...

In any case, its a song I should listen to more, I liked it.

Oh, and The Children of The Grave by Black Sabbath inspired a weird Zombie that became on of my favorite NPC's ever.

i usually utilize epic music in my campaigns. i stay away from anything that sounds of modern music or that uses modern sounding instruments (guitars, drum sets, etc.). i am more lenient with synths if they are programmed to sound like strings or choirs or the like. i would never use anything like the above mentioned NiN or other mainstream names. otherwise it seems nothing more than a glorified amv.

the following i find to be most appropriate:

soundtracks game/movie: troy, any of the myst games, narnia, gladiator, silent hill (really helps the horror), valkyrie profile 2. any game/movie with an appreciable budget in the sound/ music department.

corvus corax

apocalyptica (small scale epic) as long as you use the albums without guitars

faith and the muse (the more folkish tracks)

as far as actual inspiration rather than utilization, the aforementioned still qualify as well as any fast paced industrial/ aggro-tech as well as some metal.

combichrist, psyclon nine, panzer ag, unter null, dimmu borgir (quite epic at times), hatebreed (perseverance is very inspiring many levels), even opeth, etc.

Donor

Hrmm... So much music I must track down and sample. A lot of it I have never even heard of...

Some more to add to my list:

Sometimes You Cant Make it on Your Own: By U2

I thought this would creat the right feeling for the flashback in which one of the characters (A Solar) would recal his death at the hands of his First Age Sidereal spouse... She didnt wanna do it, but you how things go...

The Reptile: By NiN

Perfect, in my opinion, for use when describing Autocthonia

For a newly Exalted Solar coming to terms with his Exaltation = Life On Mars - David Bowie

More specifically, when my Dawn Caste stood at the summit of Luthe, looking down on what he had acheived, lit up by a golden sunrise. Just fit the whole feeling of "Woah... Shit... This is... This is just.... Amazing." That he was going through.

For a chaotic battle raging through a small tropical Island against Deathknights and their not-alive minions = Tarantula Pendulum

It opens with the generally sunny skies of a tropical paradise, and a Circle on the sands, before Jimmy the Skeleton and his Abyssal lords and masters turn the scene into chaos of Exalted Kungfu and Swordsmanship.

For an Exaltation Half Light - Peter Gabriel

Just listen to the song. Turn up the base. Genki knows what I mean. THE ONLY SONG YOU MUST LISTEN TO.

Jeremy Soule.

For some Dawn Caste going completely nuts during a battle: Disturbed - Violence Fetish

For any character regains his faith during an epic fight: 30 Seconds To Mars - I'll Attack

And, as said, the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children soundtrack is a must-have! Incredible music :)

Curator

While not normally a fan of Metal for backgrounds, there's something very Abyssal about this song...

Donor

I've recently acquired the Shakugan no Shana soundtrack. I RECOMMEND IT.

Curator

Opening theme for 'Kung Fu Hustle' I dunno why, but I just love that tune.

Conan sounds track.

LoTR sound track.

Marilyn Manson inspires some of my Abyssals..

I actually put more work into my Orpheus music.

"Tides of the Moon" by Mercury Rev

"The Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson

And anything by Pentangle.

Curator

Anyone who's seen about the most awesome movie ever will have heard this before, but there's a very drawn out, elegiac, dignified tone and it finishes in triumph. I think a Solar standing alone on a bloodied battlefield watching the Sun rise. I think a Lunar coughing up his blood amidst the beauty and splendour of the first age, watching the Solar mate he gave his life for escaping. I think the Exalt returning to the funeral of a beloved and cherished underling, having sunk into great melancholy only to be relifted by their purpose.

A few metal choices as well; Cry of the Black Birds - Amon Amarth,

and Moonsorrow - Sankaritarina

The first two are definitley battle songs; the latter (and this live version lacks some of the grandeur) is just a hugely epic song; suitable for long journies, for triumphant homecomings, for funerals and proclaimations.

Edited by etu

Donor

I prefer instrumental music—I find lyrics (at least, lyrics I can understand) to be distracting. My personal preferences are mostly for movie soundtracks, which are designed to impart mood and emotion and accompany a story; therefore all you need to do is determine which movie (or which tracks on a given CD) are best suited for the mood and emotion of the scene you're anticipating will occur.

You might find it useful to burn CDs or create specialized playlists ahead of time that contain assorted tracks from different films that convey a similar mood—such as "action" sequences, "court" sequences, "mysterious/spooky" sequences, and perhaps themes for particular places or characters. Warning: don't use music that is too familiar to your players—there's nothing worse than your players starting to make Darth Vader sound effects when they hear a familiar STAR WARS theme, when you were hoping to portray a mood of menace.

Composers to watch for include: John Williams, James Horner, Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, Graeme Revell, Lisa Gerrard, Harry Gregson-Williams, James Newton Howard, Patrick Doyle, and Howard Shore.

Martial Arts films: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, The Last Samurai, Memoirs of a Geisha, and even Iron Monkey and Disney film Mulan have Asian-sounding musical themes that are evocative both for action sequences (all those drums!) and make one thing of the Realm and the Dragon-blooded courts.

Films with good soundtracks: King Arthur (wonderful heroic battle stuff), Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Van Helsing, King Kong, The 13th Warrior, Troy, Narnia, Alexander, Harry Potter, Pan's Labyrinth, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children, Chronicles of Riddick, Knight's Tale (the orchestral score, not the rock songs), Eragon, Dragonheart, Mists of Avalon, Conan the Barbarian, Sleepy Hollow, Hellboy, and so on....

Midnight Syndicate also has a series of "background music" CDs designed especially for fantasy/horror genres, that work nicely for games or general inspiration.

Also don't forget ethnic folk music: I have some Japanese and Chinese folk music, which is lovely for courtly-type scenes. Middle eastern music can evoke the South; Scandinavian or Celtic styles might portray music in the north, etc. I also have a considerable library of medieval and renaissance music, which can fit in parts of the Scavenger lands.

I've picked up several albums from the Pacific Moon label. They have a large selection of compilation CDs based around certain theme all written by Chinese and Japanese composers. I'll be using them heavily for a Dragon Blooded game in the future.

Curator

I agree with Janet about film scores and therefore have to give you

ZUULUUUUU!

Accept no alternatives.

Donor

I am bumping to share a few Exalted mixes you may appreciate (or may not, all depends on your taste and openness to various types of music.)

Solars

Dragon-Bloods

Abyssals

Infernals

Working on Lunars and Sidereals and Alchemicals still..possibly a few others after that of the lesser types of Supernaturals (smaller playlists as well, as these are meant to be used in the background for full Exalted sessions.)

Curator

Only looked at the Solar one, will have to give it a listen sometime but I'd suggest using the Siegreicher Marsch version of Victorious March.

Be a good fellow and list soundtracks on all of them, not just the Solars.

In general mind, I came into this thread to point out the soundtrack of Oldboy as brilliance.

A few Lunar suggestions... Ensiferum - Victory Song, Thyrfing - Going Berserk and Primordial - The Golden Spiral...

... in fact, Lunars are very easy to do...

Sidereals, now there's the challenge. Is it being a tad cliched to suggest Holst's the Planets?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.