TSHamby

The Shartha

The Shartha  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which variety of the Hosts haunts your pack's nightmares?

• Azlu, the Spider Hosts
    • Beshilu, the Rat Hosts
    • Srizaku, the Locust Hosts
    • Halahu, the Crow Hosts
    • Razilu, the Snake Hosts
    • Triblithu, the Roach Hosts
  2. 2. Which variety of the Hosts do you long to become?

• Azlu, the Spider Hosts
    • Beshilu, the Rat Hosts
    • Srizaku, the Locust Hosts
    • Halahu, the Crow Hosts
    • Razilu, the Snake Hosts
    • Triblithu, the Roach Hosts

The Shartha. The Hosts. Murderous creatures devoted to sinister goals. Alien hive minds who hollow out a person's skin and take his/her place or eviscerate their soul and warp their corpse into a grotesque abomination. They haunt the nightmares of those who have encountered them. But even more disturbing, some find themselves longing to join the Hive ...

Note: Triblithu, the Roach Hosts can be found here.

Donor

Could you perhaps give us a brief synopsis of each?

Could you perhaps give us a brief synopsis of each?

Ask and ye shall receive ...

--------------------

The Azlu: The Azlu, or spider hosts, are driven by instinct to strengthen the gauntlet. They begin life as an ordinary looking spider. They have the ability to possess a human by crawling in their ear and eating their brain. This gives them access to the human's memories. A human possessed in this way is preserved by the Azlu, and will only begin to decay after a month. After an Azlu melds with enough other Azlu, it consumes a human by biting it and wrapping it in a cocoon, after which it slowly melds its essence with the human, creating a human-spider hybrid. These melded Azlu are solitary creatures, but can easily be a match for a pack of Forsaken, since they tend to be the size of cars and often have one set of legs that are enormous bone scythes. Adult Azlu must eat one human a month for sustenance, and constantly weave webs which thicken the Gauntlet around them.

The Beshilu: The Beshilu are the rat hosts, and in many ways are the opposite of the Azlu. When in their infant stage, they resemble ordinary rats. their method of camouflage is less efficient than the Azlu's; they are able to take control of a human by gnawing through the ribcage and eating their victim's heart. They retain none of the victim's memories or social skills, and their possession does not preserve the body in anyway, making it a temporary method of concealment. However, the Beshilu are able to hide effectively within a cities natural rat population. When a Beshilu consumes enough other Beshilu, it bites a human and transfers its essence to the victim. This infects the victim with a cancerous disease that rapidly transforms them into a man-rat hybrid. Unlike the Azlu, the hybrid Beshilu do not continue to consume other Beshilu, but instead form primitive tribal communities. Beshilu are driven to gnaw down the gauntlet, the barrier between the spirit and material world. The holes they create in the gauntlet inevitably become breeding grounds for disease spirits, which create plagues in the human population, because of this, the Forsaken destroy the Beshilu whenever possible. Beshilu hybrids are not nearly as powerful as a Uratha in battle, but they often can overwhelm the Uratha with sheer numbers. The Beshilu instinctively fear werewolves and will run from them if possible, but if cornered they fight with a fury born of terror.

The Srizaku: The Srizaku are the locust hosts, and their instinctual imperative is simply to gorge themselves on anything they can find (plants, animals, buildings, humans, and even Uratha). Like most other hosts, they fear and hate the Uratha.

The Halaku: The Halaku, or crow hosts, are unlike the other shartha in a number of ways. First of all, the Halaku are able to possess a human body without physically entering the body; all a Halaku has to do is peck out the eyes of a human, and the shartha is then able to control the victim's body like a puppet and see through his or her empty eye sockets. This seems to suit the Halaku's purpose, as their instinctual imperative seems to be merely to observe the world around them and gather information (as well as gathering together and getting stronger, as all Hosts are wont to do). Finally, the Halaku are unique amongst the Hosts in that their relationship with the Uratha is not directly antagonistic; the Halaku don't seem to fear the werewolves, and are content to simply stand back and observe them from a safe distance.

The Razilu: The Razilu snake hosts are the most mysterious Host of all; no one is quite sure what exactly their purpose is. However, they seem to enjoy making life difficult for the Forsaken, and the few known instances of contact between the Razilu and the Uratha have ended in violence.

The Triblithu: The Triblithu, the Roach Hosts can be found here

Fear the spiders... creepy.

I however have a certain love affair with the snakes and think they have the most potential.

Haunted by the Azlu, creepy little spiders. Long to be one of the Halaku ... what beautiful eyes you had. ;)

Donor

The Beshilu creep me out, but I'm rather taken with the Halaku.

Donor

Spiders and I have a really weird relationship. They creep me out and fascinate me to no end. Therefore, I chose Azlu for both answers.

All my four players have bad Beshilu encounters in their backgrounds. One of them lost his whole pack in an ambush. Now, they hunt the damn varmin anywhere they find them and kill everyone, even normal rats.

I would like to be a Halaku, just to sit imortaly over the city and watch, just watch for the millenia that will come.

The Azlu sure did scare our PCs and players quite a bit. The image of his sister's corpse, controlled by a spider in her brain, going after him with a silver dagger, gave the alpha some nightmares.

I don't get the second question, though. Who would want to be killed and have his or her corpse possessed by one of the sharta?

I don't get the second question, though. Who would want to be killed and have his or her corpse possessed by one of the sharta?

Hmm, I definitely see your point. So let's put this another way ...

If you had to fall to one of the Hosts and have them take possession of your still warm corpse, which would it be? ;)

Curator

I have yet to throw any of the printed Hosts into my Chronicles but when our Forsaken game started the ST at the time included a Bat Host that was our initial antagonist.

We never covered any of the metaphysics or spiritual background of it but when I took the game over all it would take was mentioning bats and the group goes on alert. Heck, it even works on our Requiem game. That and the fact that I have to love anything that gives me an in-character excuse to whip out a quote from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (AND get a bonus point of xp for it :D).

As for which I would become, if necessary, that should be a no-brainer... Halahu all the way. ;)

Donor

The Azlu are freakishly cool. And I fell in love with them from the moment WW released those first forsaken pictures. But I found my self using a modified version of the Srizaku in my games. Theese abomination scared the hell out of my players.

The Srizaku creep me out. I love the concept of an inexorable plague of ravenous beasts. They remind me of the movie Bodysnatchers, or of a Romero Zombie movie. I would love to include them in game one day. i only wish they had been given the same detail as the Two more common hosts.

As for becoming one... well since none isn't an answer I picked Halahu. if I'm going to have my mind and soul taken over by an alien, well i guess I'd prefer that I become an entity that seeks knowledge rather then destruction.

I really hate cockroaches.

And becoming one is odd, but I'm assuming you mean retaining your mind yet being a host, I'd go Azlu. Sit in my web all day, catch me some tasty Uratha, num num num.

Donor

I'm the Azlu king, what do you think?

I raised rats so they don't bother me one bit (but add foam to the mouth and instant chaos), and roaches are annoying but I've only been to one place where they were an infestation and though they drove me nuts, I didn't run kicking and screaming away. For some reason octopus creep me out so if their were any of those floating about I'd be freaked (maybe it's the whole Cthulu/mindflayer aspect of the damn things). Of course being in the water with a shark wouldn't make me too pleased neither.

As for haunting a pack with Shartha, I haven't really done much of that beyond simple indications of strange activities.

Donor
The Shartha. The Hosts. Murderous creatures devoted to sinister goals. Alien hive minds who hollow out a person's skin and take his/her place or eviscerate their soul and warp their corpse into a grotesque abomination. They haunt the nightmares of those who have encountered them. But even more disturbing, some find themselves longing to join the Hive ...

Note: Triblithu, the Roach Hosts can be found here.

Wow, Walks. Thanks for listing my Roach Hosts alongside the canon ones. I'm not sure I deserve that, but I do appreciate it! And I'm flattered people voted for'em, too.

Donor

Azlu all the way for me.

Curator
Wow, Walks. Thanks for listing my Roach Hosts alongside the canon ones. I'm not sure I deserve that, but I do appreciate it! And I'm flattered people voted for'em, too.

Well, you DID do a damn fine job on them, IHAL.

Azlu. They fortify the Gauntlet, and have a bad habit of coalescing into much stronger forms. Plus, insect chitin + human form= eww.

And, if I had to have my body hollowed out by an alien being like the Hosts, I'd have to go with Beshilu. Just because I do have a huge soft spot for rats. Sure, they're not exactly rats, but, eh, close enough for something so nasty.

Creep people out (or try to) with the Azlu. Not trying to pimp or anything, but I myself am creeped by the Triblithu... GAWD, I hate roaches... :shudder:

Said I'd become a Razilu. What the hey, may as well see what they're about... they are kinda the red-headed stepchild of the Hosts...

Well after reading about the Maeljin in Lore of the Forsaken none of the Hosts are that bad, but if anything would bring me any nightmares it would have to be the Azlu. These things are power hungry, cunning, highly intelligent as they "merge", literally seals the surround loci in the area to make it harder to fight them off, as well as forcing a few unfortunate spirits to risk a fight with these things to survive another day, and have some of the hardest Numina to defeat since they come from one of the most extensively evolving/adapting creature of all time.

As for the second question I would probably rather be annilated than to become part of a Host. Its just something about having a foriegn/alien entity use my body for its own ends at the expense of my family and those around me (those that would surely be innocent) with a form of morality that begins and ends with a spirit's ban that does not strike my fancy...

Spiders and crows. Not phobic in any stretch on the imagination, but seeing a whole person erupt into a mass of them would definately keep me up at night. For the crows, I've always wanted to fly and this would be one way of doing it.

Donor

Spiders and Snakes.

But if I had to be something not human, I'd rather be a Werewolf.

I siad, Spiders as most terryfing, and Croaches as used by - I really hate Croaches, but also I'm one of the guys who would stated they infestations. :) And, to be seriouse, there is somehow so alien fascination in them in my mind - it's somthing like "They are disgusting, alien and chittin", but also " It's sssoooo alien. And compeling som way".

Well, truly, I can't say why they are the ones I like to be submited... Maybe they are in me now... ;>