krowe

Celebration of Luna

Curator

Let's start cooking this and see what we come up with...

The idea is to devote a period of time, at least a week but up to a whole month if need be, to each phase of the moon. Discussion, material, and contests would focus on that face of Luna and detail such things as the phase's impact on a Werewolf's life, the roles members of that Auspice fill, the habits of the Lunar Choirs associated with it, the rites or sacred occurances that may benefit from being performed under that phase, and more.

I could also see a final, sixth segment of the Celebration covering Luna as a whole and aspects of her nature that are not tied to a specific Auspice or her cycle of change such as the western concept of the blue moon (two full moons in a single calendar month), lunar eclipses (the earth between sun and moon), solar eclipses (the moon between sun and earth), and maybe the slender possibility of her having other children similar to the Uratha but not as prolific as the Apocalypse Fera.

Again, I am not opposed to this being a six month Celebration. We are the Uratha, after all, we are passionate in everything we do... revelry is no exception. :)

It depends upon the pacing we desire. If we have too much to cram into a single week, then a month is a foregone conclusion. I don't want six weeks of hectic activity either, so I have no problem stretching things across an entire month to give time for everything to progress.

I also think that this could be a fun thing to share with the Shifters, since Luna and the Auspices are the only thing that didn't change too much in execution between Apocalypse and Forsaken.

So, what do you think?

Donor

I think a month-long celebration of each Auspice would be appropriate. It would be cool if we have contests during the time that the appropriate moon phase is in the sky (example: if it's the Full Moon month, have a contest during the real full moon phase).

The sixth month sounds like a great idea, as does including the Shifters in the celebrations.

Donor

It sounds like a wonderful idea! If I can find these "shifters" of which you speak, maybe I'll them what they think.

And pretend like it was my idea. Mwahahahaha!

You already know I think this is a great idea, but after peeking into the Moot, it seems the old wolves don't want to play with the new pack ... their lost, I imagine.

Curator

You already know I think this is a great idea, but after peeking into the Moot, it seems the old wolves don't want to play with the new pack ... their lost, I imagine.

Indeed and surprising that they don't feel any kinship to us. As you say, their loss.

Ann, you DO realize we are going to SO out-revel your Shifters, right?

A short excerpt from Lore of the Forsaken concerning the faces of Luna:

The full moon is called Luna the Destroyer, the Enraged, the Lunatic, the Hateful, the Warlike.
The gibbous moon is Luna the Dreamer, the Young Mother, the Lover, the Singer, the Queen of Dementia.
The half-moon is Luna the Judge, the Divided, the Stern, the Empress, the Measurer.
The crescent moon is Luna the Seer, the Mystic, the Crone, the Witch Queen, the Madwoman.
The new moon is Luna the Shadowed, the Child, the Trickster, the Silent, the Murderess.

I say we take the phases in reverse of that order, from New to Full, to symbolize Luna with her back to us and turning to face us in her full glory as we gather her attention.

Celebration of the Shadowed- New Moon, Irraka, Cunning
Celebration of the Seer- Crescent Moon, Ithaeur, Wisdom
Celebration of the Judge- Half Moon, Elodoth, Honor
Celebration of the Dreamer- Gibbous Moon, Cahalaith, Glory
Celebration of the Destroyer- Full Moon, Rahu, Purity
Celebration of Luna- The Mother and The Widow, Eclipses (and other Lunar phenomena), Relations with Helios, Are their other changing-children?

Assuming everyone agrees on this ordering, and I am open to dissenting opinion, toss out some ideas as to narratives, events, and contests for our first Month.

Donor

I'm a bit disappointed, myself. I thought it'd be fun. But...their choice, I suppose.

As for me, it's not *my* loss. It just means I get two Revels for the price of one!

Curator

Hey, you ARE the SnE embodiment of Luna... this is six months all about you, dear.

Donor

I feel so loved!

Donor

All I can say MORE FOR US! *snicker*

This is going to be a time then for the Urdaga to shine then as part of the Forsaken.

Curator

Gr. I'm not sure I want to let the shifters opt out on celebrating this in conjunction with you guys. We used to be close brethren - I don't think we should let that slip away. Besides, it's such a strong connection between the two games, I think a lot can be learned, sharing this time. The auspices are so close in nature that there wouldn't be many barriers or difficulties comparing the two, but there are still enough differences to introduce new ideas to each other.

C'mon, Annael! I must insist that we not let this opportunity pass us by.

Curator

So, let's take a look at our resources:

I intend to craft a klaive of some kind for each month of the Celebration. They will likely be of wood and found objects, so not too valuable in and of themselves, but they should be neat commodities. These can be time consuming given the constraints of my existing obligations, so scheduling will be important to having this available.

There are numerous opportunities for us to create artful banners and badges of honor for users to display. Additional banners in the site signature may be against the rules but nothing says users can't display their awards in their blogs or personal websites, so they are worth the effort to me.

I can also probably budget $20-25 a month towards purchases, be it books or jewelry or such.

I understand that some are not in a position to contribute anything but their time and enthusiasm. I am grateful for this and consider it a non-issue if you are unable to give anything more. Your participation is enough for me and I expect nothing more from anyone.

All that said, if we spend a few months prepping, we can gather items beforehand and allow time for hunting down appropriate gifts. If anyone has any further ideas as to prizes we could offer, be it a website that sells jewelry or a local shop with thematically appropriate items, please let the rest of us know. In a pinch, we can always get someone money to make a purchase for something that we would like to use.

I think a neat thing to craft would be a bracelet or necklace with each phase of the moon on it. I'm sure there's also charms like that with might be easier, depending on how intricate or big the desired piece. It would probably work best as a prize for the final month, as it shows all the phases.

I'll see what I can dig up at my FLGS. I'd might be willing to donate a book for one month, especially if someone would go 50/50 with me.

As for contests, I've got a couple of ideas.

1. Short fiction

- I like things that motivate me to write. So 1000-2000 words of your signature character and the moon.

2. Art

- Maybe have a few different catagories: signatures, full pieces, black and white

Kind of basic, but yeah. Just throwing them out there.

I like the order. Good call! One more thing, as a discussion topic we coujld compare and contrast the current phase with the ones on either side. And there totally needs to be a thread for full on, in character reverly!

Donor

Pal's arguments are good ones. I'm always leery of using my position to pressure people into my way of thinking, but in this case, Pal has set forth some very convincing discussion, and it looks like the Moot's in agreement with her after all.

Curator

I have once again forgotten all about gifts and prizes. I guess I just find the entire ordeal interesting in a scholarly way, and don't think about contests. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of money, nor do my artistic skills merit anything I could make being considered a "reward" or "prize".

Pal's arguments are good ones. I'm always leery of using my position to pressure people into my way of thinking, but in this case, Pal has set forth some very convincing discussion, and it looks like the Moot's in agreement with her after all.

Oh Hell. I just abused my power somewhat, didn't I? o_o;; Oops. But...it's just...there's no down side! There's lots of advantages! And, uh...I really want to do it. But I guess just going "pleeeeeease pretty please come on come on i'll be your best friend" isn't a dignified Praefectus thing to do, so...

Donor

Oh, nothing is wrong with a little batting of the eyelashes and such.

Since we are all kith and kin here, it would really be sensible for both Urdaga and Shifters to do this. Despite the differences between Forsaken and Apocalypse, the core is the same.

Curator

Celebration of the Shadowed

Honoring Luna the Child, the Trickster, the Silent, the Murderess

What is First Change like under the New Moon?

Discussion, Short Story Contest - First Change

Tribal Influence: How does Tribe (or lack thereof) affect an Irraka's behavior, methods,or mentality? How do Irraka of different (or no) Tribe compare to one another?

Discussion

Auspice Interaction: Where do Irraka shine over other Auspices? Where do they overlap, maybe even clash? Where do they work well together? How would being Irraka shape an Alpha's leadership style?

Discussion

Cunning: How does their primary Renown affect an Irraka's pursuit or view of other Renowns? What part does Cunning play for other Auspices? What Feats of Cunning are necessary to receive Spirit Brands of different ranks?

Discussion, Short Story Contest - Feat of Cunning

The Silent Choir: How do the Irralunim deal with the Irraka? With other Auspices? How do they exemplify the qualities of Luna? Why would an Irralunim Urge a Mortal? Claim one?

Discussion, Design Contest - Irralunim

The Spirit Realm: What other Spirits could be associated with the New Moon? With Cunning or the other aspects represented by this face of Luna? Would they be more favorable to the Irraka?

Discussion

Shadowed Magic: What Gifts or Rites are common to the Irraka? What rare Gifts or Rites are taught by the Irralunim or other New Moon-aligned Spirits? What kinds of Fetishes do Irraka use or make?

Discussion, Design Contest - Gift, Rite, or Fetish

Donor

Oooo, that is a good setup for the Dark Moon. It will definitely get ppl thinking and calling on the darker side. (okay, more so than usual)

Curator

As I said before, I would like to craft Klaives for the various Auspices to give away as prizes during the Celebration. What kinds of shapes or features would an Irraka favor on their Klaive? I am thinking something as utilitarian as deadly, so they can accomplish more with it than a just a weapon.

Give me your thoughts and I'll try to get some sketches scanned this week.

Curator

We now have a Celebration of Luna Forum under Events so that we can keep planning with the Shifters organized.

Curator

I gave this silence a week.

Please speak up if you are at all interested in working on this. I am eagre to get things going but I cannot progress without being sure that I will not step on anyone's toes by shouldering the momentum myself. I don't want any faux-hurt feelings because "Krowe just took everything over and was making all of the decisions himself". If I have to push this train by myself, so be it as I am more than happy to do that... I just want to be sure that I do not leave anyone out that wants to participate.

If you are in, can we get a clear committal of what you are up for in terms of time available and resources you can provide.

I am struggling to work up some mock klaives but I think the baby is conspiring against that particular project. I should probably be able to provide $20-25 toward each of the Months for assorted prize materials.

So speak up so that I know who I need to light a fire under and who I can leave in the dust.

Donor

I was leaving the silence too, because:

a) I couldn't see when the first month was starting

B) I didn't know where to start

c) I have enough projects at the moment to carelessly poke in dangerous places.

Curator

I was leaving the silence too, because:

a) I couldn't see when the first month was starting

B) I didn't know where to start

c) I have enough projects at the moment to carelessly poke in dangerous places.

A) Not sure yet. It is an ephemeral date based upon when we have enough months planned and ready to go. January would be the earliest to me though I have no problem if the first month isn't until April or May. Personally, I want 3 months in the bag with their assorted events outlined and prizes acquired so that we have no organizational obstacles to pass, leaving us free to comfortably prepare for the remaining months as the first ones are running.

B) This IS the start. We have the first month's proposed topics and events listed for discussion and refinement. We need to know what rewards we are going to offer by way of event prizes or special banners/graphics/titles. Knowing what everyone can contribute is a big question from me, defining our budget as it were.

C) Understandable. I am in the same boat, which is why I would rather see the Shifters and Urdraga step up to handle a lot of this, leaving me to coordinate more.

Donor

Okay, so what we actually want is a nice handy table that looks something like this:

Phase | Lead | Prize | Activity

New | PaF | Pride | A new moon in two worlds

Curator

I suppose I wasn't sure what I could contribute here; on a very fundamental level I do not "get" competition, don't see the allure, don't understand prizes and such. My fascination here is entirely academic, and I just go blank when it comes to the idea of determining all this contest-related stuff, and that seems to be what the focus is on right now.