Luxifer

Changeling References

Guest SKeLoRiC
I may have missed it, but nobody's mentioned Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel, have they? It SCREAMS C:tL. The villain (a fairy) derives a great deal of his power from contracts forged between himself (or his race) and the trees, the stones, the North, South, East, and West winds, the sunlight, etc.

It was referenced several times by developers as a source material or similar in their posts leading up to the release.

Donor
It was referenced several times by developers as a source material or similar in their posts leading up to the release.

I gotta second that referance. I would like to add:

HOUSE OF LEAVES: The minotaur legend, the hungry labyrinth, all in an experimental, fucked up format. This is the Hedge REACHING OUT to claim a family, along with the multiple layers of Johnny Truant's story, his mad mother's story... or are they all the same person? A very Lost place... also a REALLY difficult read (and laden with code; enjoy the webpage and find out more as or after you read the book.)

I would ilke to suggest The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher; these are lighter then most stuff, but Faerie is FUCKING CRAZY -- any mortal who goes there rarely comes back unchanged, and right now -- let's just say the Winter (Unseelie) knight REALLY wishes he could JUST DIE rather then endure where he's at right now... And Harry Dresden isn't jumping at the position, which is the only thing that will allow the poor guy to DIE. (The tenth book, about a 'favor' Harry owes one of the Winter Queens, is coming out in April.)

Pan's Labyrinth is actually more appropriate for the darker atmosphere for C: TL, but I spit on anybody who calls it fantasy (and if anyone suggests it's a good movie for Dreaming? I'll hunt you down and cut you. Only people who haven't SEEN the movie suggest it as an oWoD changling movie, and it only BARELY passes as a Lost one. (Guillermo did better with his ghostly narrative in Devil's Backbone, and should stay way from Faerie and keep with the ghosts.)

In the same otherworldly-but-not-Faerie: The Orphange (Orfanato) is about a woman who goes to the orphanage she was in before she was adopted-- only to lose her son to another force... it's a very tragic but beautiful film about what somenoe will do to get who they love back... and the 'game' she has to play with the Lost children... very, very Faerie, even if they're not at all Fae, but in fact ghosts. Great use of strange sort of 'pledges'. (Play the game, get a wish.)

while we are on the topic, I figure you could name Beetlejuice as a workable theme for both changeling games. From the Winona rider point of view its very Changeling the Dreaming, but put yourself in the dead couples shoes and you have Changeling the LOST.

They are separated from their old life by interlopers, they can either make the ebst of what life is left to them or go back to that awful place that waits for them ....

Donor

I'm not sure if I mentioned this one or not but this one could be done very nicely:

Perfect Blue- An Anime movie reminiscent of the works of Alfred Hitchcock, Perfect Blue is about a Young Woman who gives up the life of a pop star in favor of being and actress. What soon happens is that people that get close to her start getting murdered and she finds a website that is supposedly made by her that describes her every action in full detail. Soon she starts seeing a figment version of herself wearing her costume from her singing career stalking her and telling that she is the figment while the figment is real. Soon she starts going mad and looses all grasp of reality while seeing a strange deformed looking man stalking her wherever she goes. Soon she can't tell if she's dreaming or if she's awake and whether or not she's acting in the show she's part of.

Donor

I have a new one, recently finished: Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

The sum-up; a little girl gets seperated from her mother and brother on a hike, and it becomes a battle for survival from there, with only hallucinations of baseball pitcher Tom Gordon and her walkman, beaming in Red Sox games to keep her from going mad.

This is a beautiful, nightmarish modern fairy tale -- she gets sick, she has visions of Gods (including the God of the Lost, which I found beautifully ironic) and while it's all really just the big, scary world, it has a strange, Faerie-Tale feel to it, twisting and turning as the girl journeys out of the woods (The Hedge) back to her family.

Guest SKeLoRiC
I'm not sure if I mentioned this one or not but this one could be done very nicely:

Perfect Blue- An Anime movie reminiscent of the works of Alfred Hitchcock, Perfect Blue is about a Young Woman who gives up the life of a pop star in favor of being and actress. What soon happens is that people that get close to her start getting murdered and she finds a website that is supposedly made by her that describes her every action in full detail. Soon she starts seeing a figment version of herself wearing her costume from her singing career stalking her and telling that she is the figment while the figment is real. Soon she starts going mad and looses all grasp of reality while seeing a strange deformed looking man stalking her wherever she goes. Soon she can't tell if she's dreaming or if she's awake and whether or not she's acting in the show she's part of.

Suddenly reminded of this film I have to agree.

The "Hitchcock Twist" set aside, this could be a battle for supremacy between a Changeling and Fetch.

In fact, it really is a Changeling vs. Fetch story even with the twist.

Donor
Suddenly reminded of this film I have to agree.

The "Hitchcock Twist" set aside, this could be a battle for supremacy between a Changeling and Fetch.

In fact, it really is a Changeling vs. Fetch story even with the twist.

Yes! someone else who has seen the Movie!

Donor
Yes! someone else who has seen the Movie!

Oh, I saw it too. But despite all the critical acclaim I didn't think much of it.

Not saying the theme wouldn't fit with Lost (cause I think it would fit, as you suggest). But it just didn't do much for me as a psychological thriller, or in any other context.

Donor
Oh, I saw it too. But despite all the critical acclaim I didn't think much of it.

Not saying the theme wouldn't fit with Lost (cause I think it would fit, as you suggest). But it just didn't do much for me as a psychological thriller, or in any other context.

Ah, to each his own then. Your entitled your opinion just like I'm entitled to the person I beat in a card game's Firstborn child.

Donor
Ah, to each his own then. Your entitled your opinion just like I'm entitled to the person I beat in a card game's Firstborn child.

Man, some people never learn. It's like the song says: You got to know when to fold 'em.

Donor

I love anime of a more serious bent, having cut my teeth on the first couple Patlabor movies and Evangellion. I've also enjoyed the usual series (Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin, etc.). All of which may have some levity but have some pretty serious spots as well. And each had some interesting scenarios to bring to the table, interesting concepts or situations, or an ambiance that drew me in.

By comparison Perfect Blue just seemed like another attempt to make a movie in the "threatened woman" thriller genre with an "am I going crazy" twist. But there was nothing about the film I found at all innovative or compelling. I remember thinking even at the time that if this had been a live action movie I would have found it utterly forgettable.

Obviously a significant number of people like the film so I understand that my reaction to it may not be the norm.

But as another suggestion of anime inspiring Changeling:

Revolutionary Girl Utena (the series, not the movie) - Students are put through ordeal after cut-throat ordeal by secretive masters to attain some elusive transcendant goal. Legendary archetypes and roles are imposed on them externally and internally and cryptic shadow plays foreshadow future events. Sounds like a Durance to me.

Donor

QUOTE(Peter K. @ Mar 8 2008, 08:15 AM)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (the series, not the movie) - Students are put through ordeal after cut-throat ordeal by secretive masters to attain some elusive transcendant goal. Legendary archetypes and roles are imposed on them externally and internally and cryptic shadow plays foreshadow future events. Sounds like a Durance to me.

I don't know, that one just seemed too much like Mage: the Awakening mixed with a bit of Changeling: the Dreaming to me.

Donor
I don't know, that one just seemed too much like Mage: the Awakening mixed with a bit of Changeling: the Dreaming to me.

Fair enough. Now that you mention it, I think I might've suggested it as an inspiration for one or the other of those in the past myself.

It does have some interesting elements which could contribute a lot of things: A sort of surreal microcosm, students being ushered (or leaping) into archetypal roles, combat arranged to bring about some arcane ritual.

Donor

The Music video for the song "Sonne" by Rammstein

It portrays the seven dwarves as snow whites slaves that mine for gold so she can use it as a drug while she gains sexual pleasure from abusing them.

Donor

Two more recommendations here:

The King In Yellow - Can't believe I overlooked this one before. Hauster/The King makes a smashing Gentry with Carcosa being his Arcadian realm. The sanity rending bit is all there as well as the inhuman perspective.

Text of the book can be found here. Though readers may note that The King in Yellow is actually a collection of short stories, some of which have little or nothing to do with the so called "Hauster mythos". A couple are even romances rather than horror.

Also:

The Book of Lost Things - Taking place during WWII, this is another book that fits well with the dark fairy tale genre.

Though I've not quite finished it yet a good portion of the tale so far follows a young boy's journey through an alternate world heavily steeped in twisted versions of traditional fairy tales. Although there are few distinct "realms" within the world, certain characters he encounters strongly fit the model of Gentry as portrayed in C:tL.

The tone and descriptive details of the story have been strongly evocative of traditional fairy tale forms, with a delicious hint of danger and foreboding, especially toward the beginning of the story. A wonderful read so far.

Donor

I recommend this site: Humanoid Sighting Reports It contains thousands of reports of supposed encounters with strange creatures. A lot of them are about greys, but even more are about a variety of other strange creatures. Good source for inspiration I think.

Oh wow... Has nobody mentioned Ink by Jamin Winans? A group of dream-people (called storytellers, hah), fighting against a strange nightmare-man-thing who takes a little girl away to some other place to transform her into something not quite human...

I have wanted to see this movie for a while. The first trailer came out on YouTube around the same time as I started getting into Changeling. But it's a wee bit obscure and indie, and I dunno how to go about getting my hands on a copy in Australia.

I don't know if anyone has recommended it or not, but Paprika is a really good reference for playing the dreamscape.

Donor

Repo! the Genetic Opera

It's perfect for a Story of a Durance complete with a Strange Realm of Dystopia and Surgery, A Keeper that decides if you get repossessed, A Wide variety of Changelings to suite this world, an Addictive Glamour made from the remains of the repossessed, and

the Escape of the Young Changeling while a New Actor takes over after the old Keeper is defeated (Paris Hilton Takes Over. AHHHH!!!).

Plus it has the Glory of Anthony Stewart Head and Sarah Brightman.

Donor

This is a bit of a stretch, but the character of Merricat in Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle seems like a changeling who got back through the hedge and never quite adjusted. It's missing the entire "kidnapped to fairy" part, though.

Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees is slow to develop, but it has a town where people believe in fairies but are too scared of them to admit it. There's also illegal trafficing in fairy fruit. It's not really horror, though.

Besides Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell Susanna Clarke's also written a collection of short stories called ]The Ladies of Grace Adieu.

Anyone enjoy John Crowley's Little, Big? That's a quintessential story of a family related to faeries, changelings included.

Two canceled series for you:

The Dresden Files - A slightly watchable, Hellblazer ripoff that features the best damn example of Hollow Amenities (and Wards) that I've seen in awhile (outside of "Peter Pan", "Swiss Family Robinson", and the Ewok Village in "Return of the Jedi"). Also comes in a book and comic book form; or so I've heard.

Night Stalker - The new, quickly canceled version. The original was a lot more watchable, but it didn't have the sex appeal of Gabriel Union and Stuart Townsend. Anyway, one of the final episodes (there are only 10) features a man who describes "The Old Man" who is trying to get him to cross a yellow line and lives in various parts of his body. It may not seem obviously Gentry-like, however, at the time I was thinking "his Keeper is hunting for him or found him and he has protected himself well enough not to be dragged back". The show is very much WoD, like are all slapped together "supernatural" series and then again it could allude to all Changeling related dealings.

Someone mentioned the Hastur Mythos, I hope that someone has mentioned the Cthulhu Mythos as well.

Donor

The Dresden Files - A slightly watchable, Hellblazer ripoff that features the best damn example of Hollow Amenities (and Wards) that I've seen in awhile (outside of "Peter Pan", "Swiss Family Robinson", and the Ewok Village in "Return of the Jedi"). Also comes in a book and comic book form; or so I've heard.

You dare speak the heresy? There was never a TV series made of the incredible Dresden Files novels. There are several comic books, short stories (in "Mean Streets" and "Blood Lite") and a soon-to-be-released RPG by Evil Hat based on the Fate system.

But there is no TV show.

You dare speak the heresy? There was never a TV series made of the incredible Dresden Files novels. There are several comic books, short stories (in "Mean Streets" and "Blood Lite") and a soon-to-be-released RPG by Evil Hat based on the Fate system.

But there is no TV show.

Here, here!
There are actually about 5 or 6 other books containing Dresden short stories. Also there is a book coming out fairly soon called Side Jobs, which should be a collection of new Dresden short stories.

Fringe is a good TV show reference, mostly because it has several episodes that delve into the dream world and shared consciousness and things like that, which would work very well if you want to run a dream-scape game.

Donor

Gone to Sleep by Moby and Kelli Scarr

As part of an NPR project they made the song based on this picture by artist Phil Toledano:

Phil-Toledo-frame.png

The video about their creation process (and the song itself) gives a great vibe of eerie desolation.

Author's note: the first night I watched this video, it inspired a fascinating nightmare about the Gentry. Throughout the dream snatches of the song periodically played.