Sign in to follow this  
AstraKiseki

What inspires your MET characters?

I tend to circle mine around the costume for the character. blush.gif

Example: Narina ap Fiona, my hopelessly romantic sidhe, is always in a satin dark-red dress with black pants and boots. When she had to come in costume, she came with a mask and wore all black. During out of character, one of the other players complained that night because he loved my character's normal outfit, saying it suited Narina. tongue2.gif

But anyways, back to the topic. What inspires you to make your characters? A song? A tabletop concept?

Donor

An aspect of my personality that I want to explore.

Donor

The agreed upon setting and needs of the game.

Donor
The agreed upon setting and needs of the game.

But there has to be something more than that. You can't say that your Tremere in Theater V for instance was solely based on that.

Most of my character to date came from wanting to try someting new, be it power, personalitity type, or particular mannerism. I am also prone to having character inspired from anther source (TV, comics, a book, ect.). In this case, I take the basic idea, and change it some to fit in with another idea usually.

Donor
But there has to be something more than that.  You can't say that your Tremere in Theater V for instance was solely based on that.

That was the seed. I asked what they wanted and needed and went from there. There are rare exceptions but that is generally how I start the build. Everything starts with a need.

That was the seed. I asked what they wanted and needed and went from there. There are rare exceptions but that is generally how I start the build. Everything starts with a need.

agreed... let's be honest here... playing a character that's a Ventrue in an already Ventrue heavy game just takes some of the fun out of it... if the ST really wants more characters from certain clans or Covenants example: if you have a game that has 15 Lancea and only 30 players you might want to flesh out the rest of the game as playing a Lancea in that game might get a little boring and create more of a power bloc...

Logan

Edited by jadedeath

Donor

Hopefully I don't come across as a jerk or conceited, but I rarely need inspiration from an outside source. I just tend to come up with stuff from somewhere. I think the biggest inspiration I have ever taken from an outside source was for Santiago. I took something from The Untouchables and I remembered an article I read about the making of T2 where Robert Patrick required a lot of chiro work since he intentionally move in an inhum way when he played the T-1000 to make sure people really understood that he was not playing a human.

I tend to circle mine around the costume for the character.  blush.gif

Example:  Narina ap Fiona, my hopelessly romantic sidhe, is always in a satin dark-red dress with black pants and boots.  When she had to come in costume, she came with a mask and wore all black.  During out of character, one of the other players complained that night because he loved my character's normal outfit, saying it suited Narina.  tongue2.gif 

But anyways, back to the topic.  What inspires you to make your characters?  A song?  A tabletop concept?

Now to reply to the OP hey Astra...

Most of my characters are born from either character concepts that I've been kicking around for awhile... for example in Dolston's one game I played a paranoid Malkavian who dressed like a fishmalk in order to get people to think he wasn't a threat {in fact to think he was someone else entirely the "aid" to the character himself}

Or they're born from conversations with the ST themselves... as to what the game needs and what would be fun to play... Like my current character who is a Gangrel Lancea member... the game needed more Lancea and it was desperately in need of Gangrels so I made a Lancea/Gangrel and it's been one of the funnest characters to play yet... and the conversation about the character has taken 2 months as I was playing an NPC for the ST at the time...

Logan

I did ask my ST what they wanted, and they told me either a Fiona or a Gwydion sidhe. So, I was thinking of I could do, and I was in my closet. :P

agreed... let's be honest here... playing a character that's a Ventrue in an already Ventrue heavy game just takes some of the fun out of it... if the ST really wants more characters from certain clans or Covenants example: if you have a game that has 15 Lancea and only 30 players you might want to flesh out the rest of the game as playing a Lancea in that game might get a little boring and create more of a power bloc...

Logan

first off i agree but what if the game is meant to be a venture game? one clan a common goal against the world...tho it seems more of a brujah thing theme scine the brujah can be a lot more flexible then other clan not counting the tremere and there damnable thum (( note i am a oWod player played nWod once and found the system to be vary dulled comparatively tho thats prolly another thread altogether )) now my whole thing was befor i toke up the mantel as donny here my chars had a survival rate one 2 games on average, so my entire thing was not to be killed and well donny went to survive for like 6 years, 5 games ( 2 LARPS and 3 TTs )

Edited by Donny DeVoe

Donor

Wow, thread necromancy!

I love costuming, props and really getting into character, so I tend to make characters that I can put those ideas towards.

My first LARP character was a SoE Cybernaut in a game with no Virtual Adepts, so he was a mix of both. A wired up half of a pair of sunglasses, Nintendo Powerglove and a shiny shirt with silver-threaded SoE logo on it.

My second LARP character was a Ghural, so I went all-out for the shamanistic look, and found some bearclaws to use as my Fetish.

My third LARP character was a rocker were-Chihuahua with the Giant Merit, so I went on a shopping spree at Home Depot and came back with a load of heavy-gauge chain for harnesses, collars and bracelets.

In all honest i normaly just pick a random clan then pick the most random or in some cases wierd disicpline combo then figure out a character that would have it and go from there for example i for my current character i just fliped through the tremere handbook at random and picked out a path of thaumaturgy for him to start on and end up with path of the leivinblot then i made him out to be a sceintist specailizing in the medical feild trying to test the usefulness of electromagintism in helping ease cancer and cure it along with some other things

For me I tend to put the concept before the character, basically decide the type of persona and ability then build a character around that, usually inspiration for me comes from music and books, taking a lot of characters that are in some way alike then building a character based on a background concept, that really allows me to then build up the persona and overall sheet. I found this to be a good way of building NPC's as well, since they have history that may overlap player characters and can be used to build on flaws players take.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this