What's your favorite Path?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Path?

• Acanthus - "Enchanters on the Path of Thistle, Scions of the Watchtower of the Lunargent Thorn in the Realm of Arcadia, Kingdom of Enchantment and Abode of Faeries"
    • Mastigos - "Warlocks on the Path of Scourging, Scions of the Watchtower of the Iron Gauntlet in the Realm of Pandemonium, Kingdom of Nightmares and Abode of Demons"
    • Moros - "Necromancers on the Path of Doom, Scions of the Watchtower of the Lead Coin in the Realm of Stygia, Kingdom of Crypts and Abode of Shades"
    • Obrimos - "Theurgists on the Path of the Mighty, Scions of the Watchtower of the Golden Key in the Realm of Aether, Kingdom of the Celestial Spheres and Abode of Angels"
    • Thyrsus - "Shamans on the Path of Ecstasy, Scions of the Watchtower of the Stone Book in the Realm of the Primal Wild, Kingdom of Totems and Abode of Beasts"

Moros are definetly kickass, but seem a bit too, well, morose. No pun intended, but accepted.

Mastigos are more diabolical, even when doing so for good. Gotta' love that.

Given my upbringing, where I live, and what I do for a living. I have a problem. As I'm split between Obrimos and Thyrsus. Thyrsus simply because I've always had very close ties with nature, have something of a green thumb and my Animistic views of the world Thyrsus closely describes me, but at the same time the whole holy crusader thing of the Obrimos is me too. When I'm on the move for something, I'm worse the the Marvel Juggernaut.

I went ahead and voted Moros. I think at first I kind of resented the Moros... My favorite faction in Ascension was the SoE and my favorite sphere was Matter, and I kinda resented Matter being tied to such a downer of a path.

But I have always been a big fan of alchemy, and that's the take on the Moros that I try to focus on. And it seems that for all my iniitial resentment I find myself being drawn to it... Even if my 2nd favorite sphere is the Moros' inferior arcanum- spirit. ;_;

Real-life inspirations and experiences influence my vote in this thread. I dabble and practice a number of different magickal paths, and Mage: The Awakening is a hobby that intertwines - surprisingly well - with these experiences. My Animist and spiritual explorations tie me to Thyrsus; my necromancy, to Moros; my appreciation and respect of goetia (and demons), to Mastigos; my experience in energy-work, pranayama, and electrical field disturbance, to Obrimos. Unfortunately, other than to say that time is an illusion and fate is the way of things, I haven't had any real experience in the fields that the path of Acanthus delves into.

My final decision was weighted toward Mastigos, because the thing that continues to astound me the most is the human mind. Without my individuality - which is inherent in, and reliant upon, my vices and virtues - I would be nothing but another person, if that. Many forces in the universe interact with each other, but to do so consciously is a very special thing to me.

Donor
Real-life inspirations and experiences influence my vote in this thread. I dabble and practice a number of different magickal paths, and Mage: The Awakening is a hobby that intertwines - surprisingly well - with these experiences. My Animist and spiritual explorations tie me to Thyrsus; my necromancy, to Moros; my appreciation and respect of goetia (and demons), to Mastigos; my experience in energy-work, pranayama, and electrical field disturbance, to Obrimos. Unfortunately, other than to say that time is an illusion and fate is the way of things, I haven't had any real experience in the fields that the path of Acanthus delves into.

My final decision was weighted toward Mastigos, because the thing that continues to astound me the most is the human mind. Without my individuality - which is inherent in, and reliant upon, my vices and virtues - I would be nothing but another person, if that. Many forces in the universe interact with each other, but to do so consciously is a very special thing to me.

Wow, that is very intuitive and true in the bargain. Just remember that Forces like Life can accomplish many of the things that the Mind Arcanum can do in a more roundabout way or with less finesse. When concerning manipulation of the mind in a direct fashion.:)

Then again given high enough levels in any given Arcanum you will be able accomplish anything any other Arcanum can do with some workarounds. Personally I'm sticking with the Obrimos because they fit my natural arrogance and I do so love Fireballing the hell out of my enemies. What can I can say? I am vindictive sometimes.:)

Donor

You aren't vindictive. It's impossible for an Obrimos to be vindictive. You are Righteous.

You aren't vindictive. It's impossible for an Obrimos to be vindictive. You are Righteous.

You know justice and wrath go hand and hand. Sometimes its hard to tell which is which.

For some unknown reason, I find the Enchanters on the Path of Thistle strangely attractive ... ;)

Donor

three votes in two days, and none of them were for Obrimos? clearly, something has gone wrong.

Just thought I would throw my Path out here since I am one of the newbies on the boards.

Acanthus

I tend to follow the beat of my own drum, and don't always accept the status quo where it exists, since change is necessary for humans to evolve. I always tend to look two steps ahead of where I am standing (very much in step with the Time Arcana). I believe in the might of the boundless imagination, that Fate is not always predetermined rather Fate has a give and tug all on its own. I try to keep my mind open to all possibilities. Not to mention getting around on my clever wit :hehe:

These are the reasons I think I am an Acanthus

Obrimos... I like blowing crap up, and more importantly messing with other Mages via Prime. Plus the associations are cool. Probably Thyrsus or Mastigos as a second... last is Moros, though.

Donor

yay Obrimos! way to secure a (distant) third place!

Everybody knows the Mastigos are the coolest. They're basically Jedi.

Donor

Hah! Lies! Obrimos are the warrior sages!

But can Obrimos mind-trick people and do stuff across great distances?

I have to say that Mastigos is my favorite path since I like to know how people tick. That, and Mastigos can explode your brain inside your skull, or if they're really pissed off, open a point singularity inside your chest cavity.

Although there is something to be said of Acanthus and Moros.

I like the symbolism of the whole game, however, so it is hard to choose one, but I would have to say Mastigos, followed closely by Acanthus(check Walkers in Mist from the corebook and you'll see what I mean)

[/rant]

Donor
But can Obrimos mind-trick people and do stuff across great distances?

Yes, given it is all about your concept hon. Most Obrimos focus on Spirit/Mind/Life/Space after their path choices in whatever order appropriate to their concept of course. Prime1/Mind 1 allows for a "Spider Queen" concept...very basic honey. Adding in Spirit and Life 1 just makes it fun. Moros are just nasty, a mage with with Prime/Force is just ridiculous when played to the covert end.

Donor

Also: Force Lightning.

It comes down to a choice between Thyrsus and Acanthus for me. I've always had an affinity for shamanism and nature like the former, but my temperament and outlook is definitely the latter (not to mention a lifelong fascination with faerylore). So I'm choosing Acanthus. Fate is my favorite sphere anyway. B-)

Donor
BobChuck, are you asking for a Paradox?

Jedi do not suffer Paradox!

also, post was a month ago.

I shall do the appropriate thing upon discovering a pinned poll, and chuck in my two cents.

After considering all other paths for my new character, I always ended up coming back to Obrimos, which is how I voted.

Divine inspiration shall definitely be needed to fix this world...