What's your favorite Path?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Path?

• Acanthus - "Enchanters on the Path of Thistle, Scions of the Watchtower of the Lunargent Thorn in the Realm of Arcadia, Kingdom of Enchantment and Abode of Faeries"
    • Mastigos - "Warlocks on the Path of Scourging, Scions of the Watchtower of the Iron Gauntlet in the Realm of Pandemonium, Kingdom of Nightmares and Abode of Demons"
    • Moros - "Necromancers on the Path of Doom, Scions of the Watchtower of the Lead Coin in the Realm of Stygia, Kingdom of Crypts and Abode of Shades"
    • Obrimos - "Theurgists on the Path of the Mighty, Scions of the Watchtower of the Golden Key in the Realm of Aether, Kingdom of the Celestial Spheres and Abode of Angels"
    • Thyrsus - "Shamans on the Path of Ecstasy, Scions of the Watchtower of the Stone Book in the Realm of the Primal Wild, Kingdom of Totems and Abode of Beasts"

I voted Acanthus, simply because they had the most interesting (and least expected) presentation to me, and also seemed the least stereotyped in some aspects (something I loathed in the core.) The Fate arcana had some damn interesting descriptions as well, so they get my vote. It was a toughy, I like all of the Paths save the Obrimos in the end for very different reasons, but Acanthus had just a bit more "Ooooh, thats a nifty take" factor to me.

For the semi-offtopic bit on which one one would be personally? None of the above. Either there is far, far too much of a mix to narrow any specific one down... or it'd be it's own beast and own mysterious path. Out of game, all of them are far, far too regimented and limited, even the Acanthus to identify with in some quasi "game meets reality" way.

I have to go with Mastigos as my favourite because they are. Who wouldn't want some space to ease your life?

And I don't like obrimus at all, or rather why did they have to make religous beleafe a must for them?

Curator
For the semi-offtopic bit on which one one would be personally? None of the above. Either there is far, far too much of a mix to narrow any specific one down... or it'd be it's own beast and own mysterious path. Out of game, all of them are far, far too regimented and limited, even the Acanthus to identify with in some quasi "game meets reality" way.

If you peg them as personality types, yes. But, being as this is a game of the occult, you can't. They're more personality archetypes, rather than specific types. I'm sure there's at least one that you'd fit into just fine.

Hmm, I simply love playing Obrimos as narrow minded and very determined to reach their goals, which always appear to be 'good' to the Obrimos in question. A character I have always been meaning to play wants revenge against his first awakened teacher, a Mastigos of questionable wisdom. His lust for revenge is slowly broadening out into a war on all practicioners of the Mind arcana, with the slight irony that his fanaticism makes him a good target for users of the Mind arcana ...

Mastigos for me, then Moros.

I like the idea of rebellion in MtA, and I think these fit very well with that theme.

Ha, this one is easy! Mastigos, by far. Even tho the Acanthus has their charm. The rest have no hope to even look up at the others. In my eyes, anyway.

I like the Arcanthus, but Mastigos always feels good. Twisting space? Warping minds? Hell yes.

Tough call.

I love the Obrimos and Acanthus both as favorites. They each have one of my favorite two Arcana (Fate for Acanthus, Prime for Obrimos). But even with the power and majesty of the Fire Supernal calling me, I'm gonna have to vote Acanthus. Simply because I like the idea of a homeless guy who could be considered "lucky" without irony.

Gloria Mundi definitely took with me.

This is interesting because on the surface I think that the two favorite Paths can better describe personality traits - better than the other three, which describe beliefs or proclivities. They all describe character traits, but the top two in this poll describe personality traits better or more readily.

When you think of an Acanthus you think of someone that might be any of the following: freewheeling, capricious, curious, fickle, "fun" or funny (at least, some sense of humor implied), and so forth. As well as darker connotations of that: spiteful, mercurial temper, etc.

Same with a Mastigos: introspective, moody, deep, pensive, angst-ridden, etc.

But when you start listing things in a stream of consciousness sort of way about the other paths, you don't get personality traits so much as you get more specific traits: naturalist / environmentalist (strong ties to nature), strong religious or spiritual believer, etc.

The top two are my favorite, and looking at the list now I think I know why... Acanthus and Mastigos describe personality without a lot of other trappings, which is somewhat more universally relatable than Obrimos, Moros, and Thyrsus.

Forgive me, I don't have the book yet, so I have to ask... If I was going to compare the Thyrsus to a Mage: the Ascension tradition, would they be more like Verbena or Dreamspeakers? Or could it be either/or? Or are they not really like either?

I'm going to vote for them, anyway, even though any knowledge I have of them is painfully itty-bitty. I like the hedonistic wicca-style mage thing. Even if that's not exactly what they're like, I'm going to pretend it is until someone says I'm wrong.

Edited by Fairchilde

Donor

Hmm, I simply love playing Obrimos as narrow minded and very determined to reach their goals, which always appear to be 'good' to the Obrimos in question. A character I have always been meaning to play wants revenge against his first awakened teacher, a Mastigos of questionable wisdom. His lust for revenge is slowly broadening out into a war on all practicioners of the Mind arcana, with the slight irony that his fanaticism makes him a good target for users of the Mind arcana ...

Oh my god, let me help you step outside the box please....have you ever thought of playing it as "The Punisher" without the viligante angle? I mean, go completely "White Wizard".....Dragonlance, Florence Nightegale et al.....

@Fairchilde, the paths are more exclusive than the traditions, Thyrsus encompasses the Verbena, Dreamspeakers, in some instances the Ashakics, the CoX. Plus the technocratic side of things....

Hey, I like the box! ...

Actually, that description of the char was probably too brief. Besides, the whole 'I am (or I enforce, which often ends up being the same thing) the divine will' thing leads to a much broader scope than that, I think I chose the wrong example. Sorry for causing you to hate the apparent lack of creativity here, looks like I'm going to have to get writing more creative ideas rapido to make up for that ...

Donor

I like the Obrimos. To me, their concept isn't "faith" so much as "belief", specifically belief in something larger than themselves. They are masters of energy because they are energetic and passionate about their beliefs, almost to the point of annoyance. They are agents of change, rather than indicators of it (like the Arcanthus)

Donor

But that is so much of their inate charm, hubris is so damn interesting and these guys are made to order for it. I mean come on Forces/Prime as your superior arcana?

Disclaimer: I am well known as the most ardent supporter of the Obrimos path on this board so please bear that in mind when reading the above post.:)

Donor

Hey, I'm all for over-representation of the Obrimos...

My head says Obrimos, my heart says Thyrsus...and I can't remember which way I actually voted...but I think I would choose Thyrsus if it came down to it. Something about the pulse of the Primal Wild is very appealing, and the interplay between Life and Spirit, and the connections they have to existence...oh, yeah.

Edited by Rafael

Well,being that malkavians were probably my only favourite,clan, and the mind abilities and the rainbow bridge and reality tunnel,Mastigos,are my favourite mages,bar none I can feel with other ones but me as a person I feel a phiscal link to this tower, the imagery,the spells of mind an space, perfectly attuned to my lack of malk,well i look forward to the next enlightend mixer event!

I went with Thyrsus. The whole "speaking with the spirits that move creation" angle is really cool to me. Plus the healing, shapechanging and seeing the inner workings of living things...

Donor

c'mon people! the Obrimos need more love!

I voted Moros. While it's a wee bit cliched by now, I have a special place in my heart for the grim, death obsessed Necromancer. That and the fact that my current character's Prelude and Mystery Play were probably the most fun I've had in the WoD (new or old) in a long, long time.